Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Default Re: Vibratosax user experiences

How much do these run? I legitimately want to play it in the shower.
    The Setup
    Alto: Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series, Rico Jazz Select 3M, Lebayle Studio 8* Metal/Theo Wanne Kali 8* Plastic

E-mail problem

Currently they have only a few A1 in stock. Is it playable as A1S? I am thinking about getting one.

Default New Vibrato website!!!

The new website is live!

http://www.vibratosax.com/index.html

There are many gaps, and some of the English needs polishing, but it's there at last! Looks like the production A1 has grey pads instead of white, and there are some intriguing multicoloured slings (called "stripes" on the site) as well as a range of replacement pads and springs. Most interestingly, there is the first reference to not only a tenor but also a forthcoming soprano. Watch this space!
    Communication is everything.

This must be by far one of the most interesting threads I have read on SOTW. It sounds like the MK3 version will be the one to get! It looks to me like the folks at Vibratosax really care and are listening to what their customers say. I'd love to get the A1S but the orange accent just puts me off - plain white looks just fine to me! - I wonder if gold plated keywork would be a possibility or would it just chip and break. Maybe anodized colors would be the way to go. The orange just looks too gimicky to me. The idea of getting one of these in kit form sounds good, but once built, would still need a tech for adjustment!

Milandro, you should insist on them sending you a new one - gratis .........

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfingersbeck View Post
    The new website is live!

http://www.vibratosax.com/index.html
    And they have a Tenor tab (though it doesn't go anywhere). Can't wait to see one of those! Hopefully they are a little more rigid than their alto siblings seem to be though.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazeeAyDee View Post
    I'd love to get the A1S but the orange accent just puts me off - plain white looks just fine to me!
    AFAIK you can have just about any color you want...you just have to order them separately.

I read elsewhere that Vibrato are now the exclusive Thai distributor for the Nuvo Clarineo, the successor to the Lyons C Clarinet. If they also went for a deal with the pBone plastic trombone, they would pretty much have the entire plastic band instrument business sewn up!

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfingersbeck View Post
    I read elsewhere that Vibrato are now the exclusive Thai distributor for the Nuvo Clarineo, the successor to the Lyons C Clarinet. If they also went for a deal with the pBone plastic trombone, they would pretty much have the entire plastic band instrument business sewn up!
    Coincidentally we've been trying to get the fine folks at pBone to sell us one and they don't even answer our emails. Gotta love it!
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

Coincidentally we've been trying to get the fine folks at pBone to sell us one and they don't even answer our emails. Gotta love it!
    Well, the news from pBone is that they "are hoping to have some news regarding the US and Canada sometime in April." That's from their website. Here in Europe we are still waiting for new supplies after 2 successive batches sold out in less than 12 hours each! Oh, and red ones are going to be available again soon.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I have seen the latest vibratosax at Frankfurt. It was playable and they have found a German distributor

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    I have seen the latest vibratosax at Frankfurt. It was playable and they have found a German distributor
    I thought it was extremely playable. The action is very different but once you get used to it it's really nice. Very light and fast. The sopund is really quite good too, the only downside for me is the intonation is a bit odd in places (like a sharp middle E), but I had a chat with Pipayat (or is it Piyapat?) about that and he's going to fix it. They are very nice friendly people too, I wish them success.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

This might be the ideal travel sax.

Can you play it on the beach, in the pool, in the surf? Replace pads easily without glue? Wear the case backpack style?

How about a plastic curved soprano. Imagine saving weight, space and breakability all in one!
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazeeAyDee View Post
    I wonder if gold plated keywork would be a possibility or would it just chip and break.
    I'm not sure you can gold pate plastic. Or can you?

Quote Originally Posted by paulwl View Post
    This might be the ideal travel sax.

Can you play it on the beach, in the pool, in the surf? Replace pads easily without glue? Wear the case backpack style?
    The pads are extremely easy to replace. The keywork looks like it is too.

The thing about maintaining this is that it can't really go out of whack. If you bend or bash a rod it would most likely bend back. If it breaks, then replacing looks easy, in fact they are thinking of bringing it out in self assembly kit form.

As the pads are free floating, they just seal, no key cups to get bent out of true.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post

The pads are extremely easy to replace. The keywork looks like it is too.

The thing about maintaining this is that it can't really go out of whack. If you bend or bash a rod it would most likely bend back. If it breaks, then replacing looks easy, in fact they are thinking of bringing it out in self assembly kit form.

As the pads are free floating, they just seal, no key cups to get bent out of true.
    I would very much like to read experiences in the future of those easy replacements! I took a vibratosax apart completely and did not find the construction very simple.
    As for the selfsealing pads, maybe they have improved

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I have to say that there were definite improvements at the Frankfurt show in comparison with the S1 which I received and sent back.

The new improved LH table is certainly a big help in rigidity terms compared to what they had before.

The pads were pretty much sealing this time and the neck octave key was operating correctly (not so in my horn), they also addressed the issue of the height of the octave key activator by rising the thumbrest with a rubber support.

Having said that, the issues with the coil springs haven't really been addressed.

I demonstrated to Mr.Piyapat Thanyakik how easy it is to dislodge any of these by simply pushing them on the side. They are still not glued onto the body and they are only kept in place by a vertical pressure and a disk which has probably seen an unsuccessful attempt to be glued.

I am not even going towards describing the spongy response of the keys which rely on a coil spring and how different it is the feel of those as opposed to the other springs (which I hope no tech would ever attempt to replace because that would be a serious problem..........)

The feel of the horn is however slightly improved , it feels better but not yet as solid as I think it should. Compared to my S1 , anyway this time there was no need to get instructions such as " play it carefully" and " use a softer reed than you would normally do", the horn played and that was that.

All the other issues are , in my view,still there and the more important one is that this horn has no " reason why" other than tickling the imagination of the people who probably associate it (and they are not right to do so) with the well known Grafton which also has problems of many kinds but it is a better saxophone that the vibrato at this stage is.

The high novelty factor is the true appeal of the horn but I still don't understand why anybody would want one other than acquiring a relatively expensive novelty.

If and when they will make a perfectly working Bass costing no more than 1000€ or even a Baritone for 750€........then there would be a lot more " reason why" but as it is , I don't understand it.

Again, all the things that were wrong at the first issuing of the horn shouldn't have been there in the first place and no customer should have had to receive a product which had the faults that the first ones had.

Thanks for your commend Milandro. I would like to say thank you everyone for trying our A1s at Frankfurt .

some really nice playing there - the A1SG is the one for me -

Now to anodize all the white bits - you could have a metalic sax in any color.

Can you imagine if we saw this at Walmart for $199

Ive had my A1S for about 4 months now. I've had a decent amount of time with it now. I'm really happy with it. I think a lot of the issues with the first couple that went out were mainly due to shipping damage. With any start up company you are bound to have kinks for a period of time, and those (very) early adopters should have done so with that in mind. That said, i believe everyone who reported problems at least had the option of a replacement/refund. I cant tell you the shipping issue has been fixed, but i can say that mine arrived completely playable. I adjusted one key whos screw was a bit too tight and I put a small piece of clear rubber tubing over the octave mech. The upper octave was completely playable, i just didn't like how little the it opened. Some of the keys are a bit spongy or flexible, which initially conserned me, though honestly its a non issue while playing. The key work is not awesome, but it certainly works just fine and i would call it adequate, though it could use some improvement. I really like the fact that all the key work is easily replaceable/upgradeable. Also, the pads are really cool. They seem kind of hokey at first, but once you see that they work, you'll love them. They are ridiculously easy to replace. You can take them out and put them back in with only your fingers in about a minutes time, and it seems like they are in there pretty good. I don't think they would fall out on their own. As far as playability, i think it plays and sounds VERY respectably considering what it is. Its no professional horn by any means, but i think i plays and sounds great when compared to new saxes in the same price range. I had some minor issues with certain notes initially, but there all disappeared when i swapped out the mouth piece. Ive been using a link stm, and i've tried it with a philtone meyer with good results. It has its quirks and it is slightly different than playing a standard alto, but i do really enjoy playing it. I wouldn't think a professional would want to use this in a performance, but i really see a market for complete beginners to about 8th grade or so. I don't know what a music teacher would think of it but i don't personally think that playing this over another sax would hinder a students ability to learn. I wish i had this when i first started playing. An alto sax is big and heavy at 10 years old, especially if you have to carry it a couple miles like i did. In fact, its almost like carrying a heavy tenor at that age. This thing weighs almost nothing. I bought it mainly for the novelty like a lot of people, but if it was readily available, i don't think that would be its only market. the look and customization options are going to big hit with the younger audience. The main issue that needs to be addressed is the lack of a case. I was well aware when i ordered what i would get, but i think its going to be a hard sell until they get that sorted. I would also appreciate a significant discount for those who purchased it without a case, when one is available. Anyways, thats it. I am really happy with it, but i am looking forward to any uprades/improvements along the way.

I've been trying to contact the company in an attempt to purchase one but so far none of my emails have been answered. Is there another way I am supposed to be inquiring about these horns?
    YSS-82Zr Warburton 'D' Series 5
    YAS-62iiS Jody Jazz DVNY 7/Mouthpiece Cafe 'Espresso'
    YTS-82Z Morgan Fry 'Floridated' Link

Quote Originally Posted by smonkman View Post
    I've been trying to contact the company in an attempt to purchase one but so far none of my emails have been answered. Is there another way I am supposed to be inquiring about these horns?
    i was in contact with them via personal message on SOTW and this email address info@vibratosax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    good question which made me do some research. Plastic can be plated or anodized if it is prepped with a conductive paint/solution.

I hear the silver plate of the bell will make it sound bright er

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast