P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Vibratosax user experiences

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Default Re: Vibratosax user experiences

The beauty of the B.F. Goodsax is, that when you have a blowout with one it's a good thing, not a bad one.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

Default (slightly OT:) Plastic trombone - similar but different...

In all seriousness, it is interesting to look at the A1 launch and compare it with a similar venture which I have been watching, this time (for me at least), closer to home.

pBone :: the world's first plastic trombone

This UK-based company has launched the world's first plastic trombone. Now, obviously a trombone is a far simpler instrument than a sax, but it still took large amounts of time and money to design, prototype and tool up for production. The first that anyone knew about the pbone was a video of a skilled trombonist playing one on YouTube towards the end of last year. A link sent interested parties to the website where EU-based purchasers could pre-order one (or several) of the initial batch of pbones, available only in red (the slide on all versions is black fibreglass). They rapidly sold out. By the end of January, the first batch had been delivered. The only negative comments from owners seem to be regarding the amount of noise made when moving the slide, and apparently that can be dealt with. In mid-February a second batch was released for immediate on-line purchase, this time in a choice of blue, purple, orange or gold-yellow. The entire stock sold out within 12 hours, and the same thing happened when a third batch was made available the following Monday. The pbone sells for £50 including a carrying bag and a plastic mouthpiece. They are being used by teachers, pro musicians (one has already been used in recordings by the BBC Big Band) and beginners. Like the Vibrato sax, it boasts a highly reduced weight and increased durability, making it ideal for children. I am in no way associated with the manufacturers of the pbone, but it looks as if suddenly springing the instrument on the market with no extended fanfare (pun intended) seems to have paid off.
    Communication is everything.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

The pBone is exceptional and a great success I've been trying to order one TWICE and they sell out before I can get one!!!

Morover, the Pbone costs 50£ that is really an instrument that you can buy just for fun or much much more.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    so I wonder if you guys would be thinking about winter saxes then! (with chains around them, or deeper grooves)?
    The key word for winter is STUDS. It takes a real Stud to play sax in winter's freezing snowy conditions, and you'll be one when you're playing the patented extra-grip tread design on the keys of a B.F. Goodsax SnowHorn(TM) model.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

it is dissappointing to see all the issues experienced.

Vibrato Case for A1.. Note the rubber parts are in red colour.

stand position..

Looks good! will you have them in time for my new A1S to have one?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

..........and with just a minor modification could double as a E-sax mute emulator............

It's a stand as well as a case?

Distinguished SOTW Member. eugeneherman's Avatar

I just spent 15 minutes playing on a white Vibratosax today... With my Vito Melodia 2V mpc w/ a #3 Rico Plasticover reed I enjoyed the nice sound from C2 down to C... Forked F2 wouldn't speak, low C or Bb had a thin sound, the horn is very light... I felt the 8va key and assembly were too light, not a position but rather mushy action there... Wish if had more weight and a solid bell brace, just ain't natural for a horn neck to flex... The next time I go to David Schottle's shop I will play it again... But a horn you can play in the ocean or a swimming pool is something I could have made use of on a number of past occasions...
    'It's ain't about the notes on the page, it's about the notes on the stage!'

Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    @Butterfingersbeck: Is that a casio WK-1800 on your photo?
    It's a Casio WK-3000. It has a dedicated drawbar organ function, a bit like a Nord Electro (but a fraction of the cost) and I use it for organ sounds in my 9-piece ska band The Skanx alongside a vintage Wurlitzer electric piano and a Stylophone.

Response times to PMs vary, but they do get back to you in the end. As far as I can tell they are still selling them, although there's a new version of the A1S coming out shortly so I would ask for that rather than the old version (if you're going A1S)
    cheers,
    edwin

E-mail problem

If it is possible to make a "silence option" it wiould be nice. Sax is very loud instrument and it is imposible to exercise at home (flat) with bad wall sound isolation.
    I wonder how to make it sound more quiet...

Quote Originally Posted by Karabas View Post
    If it is possible to make a "silence option" it wiould be nice. Sax is very loud instrument and it is imposible to exercise at home (flat) with bad wall sound isolation.
    I wonder how to make it sound more quiet...
    If you are talking about silencing the saxophone itself to any significant degree (without utilizing a complete encasement sort of device), that isn't going to be possible. It would be like trying to effectively sound suppress a revolver.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

E-mail problem

3d hardware option exists - sax silencer - its the sax box with holes for hands and a mouthpiece. You play sax in that box inside. Rather expensive.
    Well I notice that wooden/bamboo saxes sound less loud. So I made myself several ones from plastic tubes. Two main disadvantages - 1 much harder to play exact pitch for novice
    2 hard to make 2 octave sax (xaphoon like) - problems with overblowing.
    Xaphoon sounds more like clarinet and hichiriko sax is much more interesting but more expensive

Forum Contributor 2011 F4UCorsair's Avatar

This is a little off topic, but in the vein of the previous few. I saw a guy in a duo playing last weekend, and he had a hand towel stuffed in his Selmer Mark VI tenor bell. It resulted in a subdued tone, mellow, yet not muffled.

I came home and rolled up a piece of not too dense upholstery foam, a loose roll so that it doesn't noticeably restrict the airflow, and put it in the bell of my tenor. Now that is a nice sound, and pulls the volume right down. I appreciate that a lot of air goes out the tone holes, but that just alters/ modifies the volume going out the bell which is where the sound precominantly comes from. This does work if you're looking to reduce volume. I'm sure it's been thought of a million times before but I'd never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by SAXISMYAXE View Post
    It would be like trying to effectively sound suppress a revolver.
    By the way, there are at least two ways to effectively suppress a revolver, firstly, the Russian Nagant uses an ingenius mechanism with a back-and-forth moving cylinder and overlenght case which projects outside the front of the cylinder and is inserted into the rear end of the bore to seal the cylinder-barrel gap, and so can be suppressed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

The other sytem was developed here in Finland I think in the 90:s, it uses an adaptation of a device called the Broadwell ring to seal the gap by using the firing pressure to seat the ring, wich is located at the rear end of the barrel, against the front of the cylinder and make effective suppression possible.

Unfortunately, I don't think either one of these systems could be used on a saxophone.
    So much to tinker, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Murgo View Post
    By the way, there are at least two ways to effectively suppress a revolver, firstly, the Russian Nagant uses an ingenius mechanism with a back-and-forth moving cylinder and overlenght case which projects outside the front of the cylinder and is inserted into the rear end of the bore to seal the cylinder-barrel gap, and so can be suppressed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

The other sytem was developed here in Finland I think in the 90:s, it uses an adaptation of a device called the Broadwell ring to seal the gap by using the firing pressure to seat the ring, wich is located at the rear end of the barrel, against the front of the cylinder and make effective suppression possible.

Unfortunately, I don't think either one of these systems could be used on a saxophone.
    As a result of attempting to provide a seal at the cylinder on the Nagant M1895, it notoriously expels massive amounts of ignited gas out of the muzzle. It is quite literally a fire breather (I own one and can confirm this phenomenon!)

Suppressing it would be a bear, requiring a massive amount of chambered baffles in the suppressor to handle it. That would make it very ungainly and heavy.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

E-mail problem

And what will be the price of the kit?

There is an effective mute for the saxophone. I tested it in my tenor and it works!
    The sound loses the edge that is annoying to neighbors.
    http://www.saxmute.com/saxmute_reduc..._clarinet.html

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast