Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar

Default Re: Vibratosax user experiences

Please keep us informed about improvements. I am interested in everything.
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

Out of curiosity, are there any plans for a straight soprano?
    The first thing that went through my mind when I picked up Curt's A1 on his Seattle trip, was that my right wrist would really appreciate having such a light instrument.
    I primarily play straight soprano with no neck strap (I haven't been able to adjust to using the strap while playing), and over the past several months have been having a lot of pain/carpel-tunnel type symptoms that are related to, and amplified by long periods of supporting the "heavy" instrument with that arm/wrist while I play. Using the neck strap between songs has been helping, but I really like the idea of having a lighter horn for practicing, etc.
    Soprano: Martin (Yanagisawa) Curved, Antigua 590BC | Alto: Selmer SA80 | Tenor: Yanagisawa T901 | Akai EWI4000s
    youtube|soundcloud

After T1 we will see if the sells going good enough B1 or S1 will be our next approach.

B1 B1!!! I already have a soprano
    Soprano - Antigua Winds 590-BC JodyJazz Classic 8-3/4 (refaced by Paul Coats), Lavoz Medium; Rascher, Legere 3-1/4, Francois Louis lig
    Alto - Yamaha YAS-875EX, black lacquer JodyJazz Classic 9, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark lig; Rascher, Legere 3, Francois Louis lig
    Tenor - Yamaha YTS-62 JodyJazz Classic 12, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere 3-1/2, Francois Louis lig

I'd be happy to put a kit together. This sounds like a good way to avoid shipping-damage issues, keep production costs down and ensure final-assembly quality control. Plus it would also be a fun project for parents and children, youth clubs or schools. Build your own working sax and then learn to play it!
    Communication is everything.

Distinguished SOTW Member DavidW's Avatar

B1 for bass?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    B1 for bass?
    A=Alloy
    B=Brass
    T=Terracota
    S=Silicon
    Thou Shalt Not Covet
    Thy Neighbour's WiFi

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by zivley View Post
    A=Alloy
    B=Brass
    T=Terracota
    S=Silicon
    A terracotta tenor? Now there's an innovation. Heavy and shatters into small fragments. Hmm.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    A terracotta tenor? Now there's an innovation. Heavy and shatters into small fragments. Hmm.
    I guess you know it was a joke, but anyway, I have a brass tenor and I don't drop it on the ground, even if it doesn't shatter into small fragments...
    Thou Shalt Not Covet
    Thy Neighbour's WiFi

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

of course it would be very interesting to see how you shape the saxophone because Terracotta and Porcelain shrink during baking (and shatter to say nothing about imperfections of all sorts like cracks and inclusions) and a saxophone has some more stringent requirements than a porcelain toilet.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Nobody has suggested vulcanized hard rubber for the sax bodies, which I think would be a wonderful idea. A bit heavier than the standard sax but much cheaper to produce because they could be made out of recycled tires at an extremely low cost. They would be durable and flexible (with thin steel mesh or cable in the interior of the rubber just like tires) and if you dropped the sax it would bounce and not dent at all. The rest of the mechanism would be standard (rubber pads maybe though). Just think of the possibilities of a bounceable sax -- horn sections in funk bands could integrate bouncing their saxes into their dance steps, dat dat do di dot bounce bounce do do di dot
    "We don't determine music, the music determines us; We only follow it to the end of our life: then it goes on without us." -- Steve Lacy

..........and another visionary (I am aware of the double meaning of the word this is an intentional pun) is born

It's going to be called The B.F. Goodsax and come with a 250,000 mile warranty.
    "We don't determine music, the music determines us; We only follow it to the end of our life: then it goes on without us." -- Steve Lacy

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    It's going to be called The B.F. Goodsax and come with a 250,000 mile warranty.
    Would the vintage model have a red line around it?

No, those will have wide white-walls down both sides of the body tube. The regular pro models will have modern thin white-walls, and the student models will have ordinary black-walls. All will have the familiar B.F. Goodsax logo in raised letters around the bell. Very classy.

don't forget black bridge with the logo GOODSAX somewhere on the Frankfurt Messe terrain.........and a Blimp ( because we know it is a blimp and not an airship!)

Goodsax will be the official sax of both the F-1 and Nascar. Can't you just hear all those Goodsaxes burning rubber already? It'll be a sight and sound to behold!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    Goodsax will be the official sax of both the F-1 and Nascar. Can't you just hear all those Goodsaxes burning rubber already? It'll be a sight and sound to behold!
    I assume retreads would lose a lot of the value and not play as well.

The problem with rubber saxes as I see it is that they would be too flexible and develop kinks, restricting the airflow.

Hmmm... kinky rubber sax. Where have I heard that before? ;-)
    Communication is everything.

slight typing mistake

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast