P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Vibratosax user experiences

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar

Default Re: Vibratosax user experiences

[QUOTE=reginr;1565148]Saxtek to eliminate your suspicion about my post. Get your A1s, unscrew the e-flat key-guard from the back then turn it the right-side-up then screw it back in, if you do it yourself you will see that it is NOT an impossiblity . That is how I received mine.

Now that you explained it, I guess they could have put the guard on upside down. And they did ship my sax before installing the strap ring (They're sending me one). I know that some of the first batch of saxes were assembled while workers were standing in water from flooding in Bangcock.
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Melody csax's Avatar
    Dorset, UK - via Cornwall and the civilised World...

Quote Originally Posted by saxtek View Post
    .....I know that some of the first batch of saxes were assembled while workers were standing in water from flooding in Bangcock.
    Hope they were sterilised afterwards... (the workers AND the saxophones )
    csax.net website ------ csax on twitter ------ csax on facebook
    Martin, Kohlert & King C tenors / Martin Bb tenor /SG Orpheo alto / Aquilasax C sop & Mirage curvie Bb sop - Lawton, Berg, Couf, Jody Jazz, Meyer mpcs. RR/LaVoz reeds.

Quote Originally Posted by saxtek View Post
    Now that you explained it, I guess they could have put the guard on upside down.
    Certainly possible. After all, yours came without a strap hook.

Will the new one need to be glued on, or screw in like the Grafton design?
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Quote Originally Posted by SAXISMYAXE View Post
    Certainly possible. After all, yours came without a strap hook.

Will the new one need to be glued on, or screw in like the Grafton design?
    The current design is all "glued" to the body, nothing is drilled to the body.
    The next design will replace all needles with springs but not drilled on to the body

After playing it for a day, the Vibratosax is feeling more normal to me. I thought that the long rods were plastic, but they are aluminum, finished in white, so they look like the rest of the horn.

The Bridge piece (The part that has the adjusting screws for G# and left hand bis Bb) shows some cracks. I was able to reinforce it with some extra plastic and epoxy. It should be easy for Vibratosax to make this small part stronger.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

my Vibratosax had a glued on strap ring.I have to add that it was very much on the left hand side of the horn . If you have to re-glue anything have some glue shipped to you andwhile you are at it also pay attention to the coiled springs, they have a black plastic disc at their base , in my case these discs (which I believe need to be glued on the body of the horn ) came undone and a few got loose. By examining the discs they showed some rests of a crystallised substance which I believe to be the glue. Vibratosax has repeatedly said that every sax is tested and inspected before shipping , I don't see how the key guard or the hook ring could escape inspection but there you go. Anyway I am out of this race.

I don't own one but feel that packaging should be addressed, and although new to the saxophone world , don't understand how a strap hook would be missing. I mean no dissrepect, but just wonder if these were rushed to get out. I would have to see one in person, and I might since a close compadre ordered one, to see what it is really like. Maybe this first shipment had some problems with everything , floods, that has been going on over there. I hope Vibratosax well, and can see the difficulties in presenting a new instrument to the world, and applaud his innovative venture.

Default Vibratosax live video at a jam session

My first attempt to play the new Vibratosax plastic alto in public. Very rough video.

I was still searching for pitch and I was really sharp, buy you can get the general idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkPW9eswHoI

Default Re: Vibratosax live video at a jam session

Sounds good to me. What's it like to play?
    Communication is everything.

Default Re: Vibratosax live video at a jam session

It's different. But it's PLASTIC! I had to have one.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Default Re: VIBRATO plastic SAX A1 is a sheet...

Great playing in the vid, saxtek! I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, I have to have one too. But I think I can wait a little longer.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Everything considered, I think the Vibratosax thing has been fun. The next 2 weeks or so is so busy that I probably won't have the plastic horn out of the box.

I think the Vibratosax guys got the dimensions of the body and neck right. The keywork needs some tweaking, but the horn does play. I bought it for the novelty appeal, and it surely succeeds in that respect. Everybody asks about it.

I'm hoping the manufacturers continue their improvements and eventually produce a tenor. When the tenor comes out, I'll be begging for the first one.

I got mine Vibrato model A1 sax today!! My friend who lives in bangkok area picked it up for me. I havent played it more than a few minutes total but I will say that I was able to play it straight out of the box (well I had to supply a reed but everything else was there).. I am not a great player and no judge of horns( I like my yas 23 more than my 6m) but it plays. I took it with me on a job and on the way back I stopped by my local sax repair shop to check on a repair I have in there ,and they said it made their day . They played it up and down lit it up and said when it breaks they would love to take it apart.. well I post something more substansial after I play it a while
    Last edited by erik ZO; 01-19-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: speling

Vibratosax sent me a strap ring today for the horn that arrived without one. Also, they sent me some extra adjustment screws. I think these guys are doing their best toget everything together.

I finally tried mine this afternoon and I'm pleased. First of all let's say that it is a student horn for beginner's that really looks like a toy. So at first, it's strange and the feeling isn't that confortable as the keywork is ... different, not in the mecanism but with the feeling. But after the first ten minutes, it's gettin better. The horn is very easy to blow in and surprisingly the vibrato mouthpiece fit perfectly the sax (not very open but nobody's perfect !). There is some intonations issues but nothing that can't be change with some work. The sound is interesting but not uncommon and new. It worthes the money I spent in I bet.
    Some "bad" things : I don't know if it's my way of playing but the A key bends and touches the G key and it isn't very confortable. Some screw makes noises when I play low D and E. IMO, it will be better if the keys were a little harder and more rigid but you can easily adapt yourself to this.
    I'll edit if something interesting happen and i'll let some good friends play. I'll be back next week XD.
    I think it's a very good sax for beginner's and with improvements and a lot R&D, may they can produce a proline. But the point is almost achieved and I hope it'll create some new young and gifted saxophonistes.

It is just a toy, not an instrument.
    At least by now, a good idea but not so good result...
    and 400 $ !!!! should cost 50$

Well, my tech is accepting new work again so I took the vibratosax to him today. I think it's fair to say that he was interested but not all that impressed. Interesting that Yedo sax suggests it should cost $50 - that was my tech's estimate of what manufacture might cost (although of course that doesn't take into account all the development costs).

He had a good look at it. He thought there may be a piece broken off the octave mechanism and the low B/Bb keyguard, which I'd thought was just loose, he thinks may be missing a component or two.

Bottom line, he said he was willing to put some time into it but could not make any promises about his ability to get it playable.

Given that at least a couple of others have been able to play theirs up and down the range of the horn, I'm going to take my chances and talk to Piyapat (I've sent a PM) about sending this one back in exchange for another. Will want assurances that the one I'm getting has been thoroughly checked and is complete and playable, with a working octave mechanism.

Will keep you posted...

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Is it possible to equip this sax with an internal mic and line out jack plug?
    I think that is a way cool idea, even revolutionary (apologies to the Egyptians).
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

They will definitely need to go back to the drawing board for some much needed re-engineering if they hope to make this horn successful as well. All the problems with the initial launch cannot be blamed on the recession and lack of a padded case alone by any means.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Thanks for all comment our sax doesn't need lubricant we use POM. On the rod joint which is self lubricant.
    The designing of the case is done and will be in production soon.
    We have developed a few upgrade and being test now on replacing all needle springs with coil spring and beef up lower stack keys and improved rigidity on octave mechanism. And this might be the final modification for A1 Series. We are now start designing T1 and it will have a kit form available too since it will be all bolt on. If the format of T1 is good enough
    then it will go straight to A2 and B1

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast