Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 22 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Default Vibratosax user experiences

This is a new vibratosax thread for discussion of the actual saxes now that people have started receiving them.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Vibratosax user experiences

Already I've heard that there's another make out there that's a little cheaper that allegedly gets parts from the same factory:

competition*

*joke

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Already I've heard that there's another make out there that's a little cheaper allegedly gets parts from the same factory:

competition
    Grumps is a bad, bad boy!

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

I'd like to sink some money into this, but it would be a drain on my resources right now - it'll have to wait until I'm flush.
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

how's the clarinet book coming up?

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

I'm just waiting on a bass to low C, a German system and ( possibly ) a Basset Horn!

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

Already I've heard that there's another make out there that's a little cheaper that allegedly gets parts from the same factory:

competition*

*joke
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Since we are transitioning to reviews in this thread I decided to copy and paste my initial impressions of the A1 from the other thread.

---

Well, my A1 has arrived! Looks like a handful slipped through and got shipped to the US back on the 19th!

Mine DOES play out of the box, but will need some tweaks before it really plays. The included mouthpiece played alright with it, but the stock ligature wouldn't work with the Vandoren Blue box that I put on it (too small). Slapped the bonade that I use on my C** and had no problems. I also played it with the Scroll Shank C** and a Yamaha 4C, all three worked and so far the 4C has the best tone. The little rubber bumper that sits on the bottom of the G# key touch was off, but that was it.

Let me start by saying I only played it about 30 minutes before heading to my tech. I am still rather stunned by the fact this thing plays and for such a pioneering venture I am very impressed. My tech really enjoyed looking it over and noted a couple issues that had escaped me in my fascination.

1. The octave mechanism - The rod that holds the linkage together was either bent in transit or is not too rigid. The entire assembly flexes when the mechanism is activated (looks like a bent rod). It still seems to work (although the neck doesn't vent very high, may just need a shim).

2. F key - Doesn't vent as openly as the other lower stack keys. When he attempted to adjust the key height there was no way to back off the adjustment screws any farther than they were already set. He noticed some little risers located under the adjustment screws, but we didn't fiddle with removing or altering these.

3. Low C# venting with low B and Bb - This one seemed straight forward enough, there was a missing bumper on the arm that links the B and C#. My tech added a rubber bumper and it seemed to resolve the issue.

That's it so far! There are a couple issues to resolve, but I had a blast blowing on the horn. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about theirs. I also didn't get to run it against a tuner so will try to get around to that this evening. I may also try posting photos of the 'problem' areas to better communicate the issues.

I'm starting to wonder if it is time to start a new thread now that the vibratosax is arriving in the hands of consumers. Better yet, is it time to create a Vibratosax subforum? A new and innovative product such as this is going to generate a TON of discussion as players and techs add their thoughts and opinions on the horn. One thread of 23+ pages is going to get weighted down awefully quick... Just a thought.

Great idea Cymru97, many thanks.

Cymru am byth!
    moving%20welsh%20flag.gif
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 jicaino's Avatar

competition*

*joke
    Genius, man, really genius.
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    "The more you sweat during practice, the less you bleed during combat"
    I prefer e-mail messages to PM
    my email adress is jicaino@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

What are these going to cost? B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Every single one was play tested in our factory before it's been packed. Now we have revised our packing process since we found that the sax can still moving inside the box while transport. However for those who already a player, we recommend playing it gently with softer reed for at least half an hour to get use to the key's weighting this will be a short cut to get use to it.

competition*

*joke
    Abu the Flutemaker has come a long way.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Vibratosax View Post
    Every single one was play tested in our factory before it's been packed. Now we have revised our packing process since we found that the sax can still moving inside the box while transport.
    That's good to know. It would seem then that any problems people have are due to movement during shipping, which would most likely mean that the problems should be fairly easy to fix. I'll wait to hear more about that.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Now we have revised our packing process since we found that the sax can still moving inside the box while transport.
    Will you revise the instrument's design as you get feedback from users? (Note, I'm not implying that it needs revision, just curious if changes are planned.)

Yes, we are now modifying some parts to make it more sturdy on touching all these feedback were taken in to this modification

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar

I want a tenor, too.
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

Official Spender of Too Much Time on SOTW/P. Mauriat Fanatic jmoen3's Avatar

Sounds great... I just want pics, sound clips, and possibly some videos
    Alto: P. Mauriat 67R w/ Solid Nickel Silver Neck/Drake Custom Ceramic .085/Van. Java 2.5 Reeds and Hahn Synthetic 2.5
    Tenor: CE Winds Brushed Vintage Gold Alpha Tenor/Jody Jazz ESP .120/RJS 2M Unfiled
    Soprano: CE Winds Silver Plated Alpha Saxello/Yanagisawa 7 HR/ Van Java 2.5 Reeds
    My Playing: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=954022
    -Jared

Yes, we are now modifying some parts to make it more sturdy on touching all these feedback were taken in to this modification
    I've yet to receive mine but in view of the fact that this first shipment has shown some problems are you going to send us the parts that have been damaged in transit?

Well, I have some progress to report. Managed to grab 15 minutes this evening to have a blow and I'm getting much better results - still a way to go but much improved. Firstly, I'm pretty sure now that there was a big leak when I first tried to play it, and that I was the cause of that leak. The pads don't have key cups behind them, and a couple in particular have the button (it's not a pearl!) directly over the pad, which of course is soft. So - press lightly, you get a seal. Press firmly and the centre of the pad is pressed down but the edges lift up - and you have a leak. Piyapat suggested light pressure and this is no doubt why - hey presto, a whole lot of notes opened up. Also, looking at the octave mechanism, it is partially functional - the octave vent on the body works fine - so it's only the vent on the neck which isn't working. Looking at it, it won't need much of a wrap on the part on the body to bring it into working contact with the neck.

I'm not getting perfect results by any means - F# sounds pretty stuffy for instance - but it's starting to sound pretty good. I think this is a sax you have to get used to - like going from alto to tenor or vice versa, perhaps a bit more different than that.

I mentioned before that it's insanely light. I went and popped it on the kitchen scales before I packed it away this evening. Complete with mouthpiece, it weighs a smidgeon under 900 grams. I weighed my BW curvy soprano (+ mouthpiece) for comparison. 3kg even.

If I spend any substantial amount of time playing this thing I'm going to have to give my tenor equal time or I will find it hard to go back to the heft of a 'normal' sax.

Page 1 of 22 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast