P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the benefits of playing sax

Default the benefits of playing sax

rarely do i hear about positive health effects from playing sax. post about all the good things that have happened to you as a result of playing.

its helped me with my asthma, increased my lung capacity and it aligned my teeth correctly. it also taught me to be more confident and bold as a person because you have to be confident when you play or else its gonna sound like crap.
    "The Junior School trumpet line sounds like an autistic monkey in a metal trashcan being thrown down a set of concrete stairs into a bed of spikes."

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: the benefits of playing sax

When I was about 9 years old I fell on a broken glass bottle and it went right into my wrist severing everything imaginable (nerves tendons artery you name it) My parents got me a sax to help rehabilitate my left hand (I still dont have 100%, but a lot better than when that accident happened almost 30 years ago). Plus my dad played sax to get through college...And wasnt too shabby.
    CONN 10M (1936) White ROO Pads....Best Tenor Ever!
    "Just noticed that the "lol" symbol looks like a drowning guy, and all you see is his head and arms sticking out of the water. I bet he's not laughing out loud!"

My Website is ONLINE!!!! SAXESANDAXES.COM
    Like us on Facebook!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saxes...32078803475235

San Angelo, Texas-The place you have to be going to, to get to.

It teaches the benefits of perseverance.
    Talent is a gift from the Lord.
    Don't squander it......

hmmm..positives...uh...idk...I can move my fingers really fast for typing and stuff....that's about it...

In addition to previously stated posts, research shows that students who study music perform better on standardized tests in mathematics and language. I also believe that it helps develop fine motor skills hence MicroNik's typing ability.

Forum Contributor 2013

trains discipline,
    helps de-stress
    and brings about loads of soul satisfaction
    Music - His gift, my duty, our fellowship 3Jn2
    Yanagisawa A992 Alto, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto & YTS-62 Tenor, Selmer Paris Series II Soprano Sax

Playing music helps to make new friends, especially when you (temporarily) live abroad. After all, music is a common language.
    Grassi low A bari (1976) Meyer 9M / Martin "The Martin" tenor (1951), OL vintage Tone Edge #7
    Martin "Indiana" alto (1954), Meyer 6M / Buffet Crampon "Continentale" Bb clarinet (1972), Vandoren V360

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

.......but it does nothing to cure hair loss!

Well put bkobog. I'm only an amateur and I find that I have to concentrate so hard when learning something new on the sax that I block out all the problems of the day. It is also very rewarding when you improve and really start to enjoy playing with others.
    Carmen

also if you march sax, or any instrument for that matter, its very good exercise.
    "The Junior School trumpet line sounds like an autistic monkey in a metal trashcan being thrown down a set of concrete stairs into a bed of spikes."

Oh yes, I forgot. I play Sax for the marching band. That's a lot of good exorcise since our season is almost the entire year.

And to Person056 I agree with your Sig. The entire brass section in my school fits that description perfectly.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Straightened my teeth!

Uh, no.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

Chicks

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

Sanity. I work too much and have little kids. Going to a bar and playing blues keeps me able to do it again another week.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marton View Post
    Chicks
    That's it, and succinctly put, too.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Man, I've always put down the saxophone for years at a time. When I wasn't playing sax I was writing composition. I'll never be the sax player I could have been because of my incessant sabbaticals from playing it.

Well, being that I just retired I decided to see if I could find a new love for it. Now for many years my jaw never closed right and every time I would open my mouth my jaw would always pop and it was always an uneven transition between opening and closing my mouth. I think I started to play again roughly 8 months ago and since then my jaw is absolutely fine. No more popping, no more uneven transition. My jaw opens perfectly! It's actually like a miracle.

I think this in itself will help me to try and stick with it this time. I'm too afraid to stop! lol....

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Raphyel View Post
    When I was about 9 years old I fell on a broken glass bottle and it went right into my wrist severing everything imaginable (nerves tendons artery you name it) My parents got me a sax to help rehabilitate my left hand (I still dont have 100%, but a lot better than when that accident happened almost 30 years ago).
    Hey Raphyel - I had almost the same accident, at about the same age, except I put my right hand through a glass pane on a door that was slammed on me. I cut tendons and artery; lots of blood all over. I still have a lot of scars on my wrist (it looks like I tried to slit my wrists). I also still have some limitations on the use of my hand and wrist, but I never thought about how playing clarinet then and sax later may have helped get my hand and wrist back to near normal.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Benefits for sax players? The union doesn't even offer that.
    Let me see; Bird, Coltrane and Dolphy all died young, so I don't think that playing the sax does anything for your health.
    And as far as "chicks", once they see that you work nights in bars full of women, that fascination wears thin real quick.

Distinguished SOTW Member piwikiwi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    Benefits for sax players? The union doesn't even offer that.
    Let me see; Bird, Coltrane and Dolphy all died young, so I don't think that playing the sax does anything for your health.
    And as far as "chicks", once they see that you work nights in bars full of women, that fascination wears thin real quick.
    Well Bird was a drug addict/alcoholic, Trane was an ex drug addict and Dolphy didn't receive the correct treatment for his diabetes. I don't have any of them has anything to do with playing the saxophone.

Distinguished SOTW Member Tom Goodrick's Avatar

Yeah that chick thing works different ways. I met my wife (of 44 years) at the bar during intermission one night. She was there because she likes to dance. I was there to play music. Before the kids came along I had to sit on the stand and watch her dance with a lot of different guys. Then after the kids came, I had to make sure I made more than the babysitter.

For you kids who like to knock the brass section, guess who chicks think make the best kissers? They ever ask you to introduce them to the trombonist?
    Sop - Antigua Winds 590 LQ, Yamaha 5C, Vandoren ZZ 2.0
    Tenor - Yanagisawa 991, Rovner Deep Vee 7, Vandoren V16 2.5
    www.soundclick.com/TomGoodrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast