Antigua Winds

P Mauriat
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Barone Experience,... hope it adds something to this room's mix

Distinguished SOTW Member bfoster64's Avatar

Default Re: My Barone Experience,... hope it adds something to this room's mix

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    that's a bit over the top isn't it?
    Not at all, and in fact I think it would be true even if he didn't say it. The law doesn't want you to go around appropriating someone's photos for your own commercial gain.

Gotta say I love the look of my copper Barone tenor neck. It is a lovely hue. I wouldn't mind owning a whole horn with that look.

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2013

Hey Eric,

I'm glad your son is sounding great on the horn. You were a pleasure to talk to; feel free to shoot an email or call me anytime.

- Saxaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post
    Hey Eric,

I'm glad your son is sounding great on the horn. You were a pleasure to talk to; feel free to shoot an email or call me anytime.

- Saxaholic
    Hey Saxaholic. Good hearing from you. Eric told he saw you had posted so I thought I'd drop by and yell at you. Yeah, he's enjoying the horn a lot I'd say. He never was a kid who we had to make practice, but now we have to tell him to put it down and give us a break. I think the only thing that's giving him the blues is the mouthpiece Phil sent with the package. Both him and I think it's a little over his head. But he's been reading a lot in the mouthpiece and beginner sections trying to get some pointers on how to get up to speed with it. Not real sure how he's made out with that, but I can tell he's still a little frustrated with trying to get a handle on such an advanced mouthpiece. To be honest, I think he's sort of given up on it because I've yet to see it on the horn. Right now he's still at school (rehearsal for the holiday concert), but when he gets in, I'll let him know we caught up with each other. I also made sure he knew the role you played in getting that horn in here, and he appreciartes your help as well.

Eric

What's the difficulty with the mouthpiece? Is he just unable to play it with the same reeds he's using on his 4C? If that's the case, then it's no big shocker -- the tip on Phil's piece is going to be quite a bit more open, so he will need softer reeds, and probably more air.

Quote Originally Posted by bfoster64 View Post
    Not at all, and in fact I think it would be true even if he didn't say it. The law doesn't want you to go around appropriating someone's photos for your own commercial gain.
    We're talking about a few snapshots to show what the copper finish looks like here - I don't think there is any danger of losing out on money due to someone using that photo elsewhere. Its kind of silly to worry about it even happening. I have a tenor with a copper finish - if I am not feeling lazy I'll post a few shots later. If someone sells em to time magazine - good for them. Somehow though I doubt it will happen.

Hello Eric,

I received my Barone Vintage honey gold alto yesterday. Very nice sax with a slick and fast action. It came with a Barone NY6. I have other mouthpieces that I used with my Yamaha but I found that the Barone complements my new sax very well. A Rico 21/2 or a Vandoren 21/2 work well. I will try some other reeds tomorrow. Get you son to try his, with a 2-21/2 strength reed, I think he will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by koumou View Post
    Hello Eric,

I received my Barone Vintage honey gold alto yesterday. Very nice sax with a slick and fast action. It came with a Barone NY6. I have other mouthpieces that I used with my Yamaha but I found that the Barone complements my new sax very well. A Rico 21/2 or a Vandoren 21/2 work well. I will try some other reeds tomorrow. Get you son to try his, with a 2-21/2 strength reed, I think he will be alright.
    Funny you should say that. We're on our way out to Wal-Mart and while we're out may stop at the music store and buy 1 1/2 Rico. See what happens. He's been using Vandoren 2's and Rico 2 1/2 for as long as I can remember. But now I'm hearing him talk about getting a Selmer S80. They're clearing them out for $89.99 and I got a $20 credit with them sitting over here waiting to be used. From what I've read 70 bucks for a Selmer S80 is a pretty good deal. But I think now that he's got one of Phil's beauties, he really wants to get out of the Yamaha 4C & 5C. Not necessarily because they're bad mouthpieces or they don't work for him. I think he just wants to move forward the mouthpiece as well as the horn. But moving from the rather tame 4C to a custom Phil Barone NY 6M all in one jump might I think is proving to be a bit much for him.

I know Phil has a fairly liberal return policy on the horns, but what about the mouthpieces? Has anyone had to do an exchange with Phil on the mouthpiece after receiving one of his horns? Does he even make a tamer custom mouthpiece? Or is all of his custom mouthpieces aimed at the Pro's? To be honest, I might have sent Phil a few stray signals when we talked about the boy's needs. But at the time, I didn't know quite enough to zero him in on the target. Hell,... I still don't know enough. LOL! Worse case, he'll have in his draw a top-notch mouthpiece he can pull out sometimes around when he starts growing hair on his face. LOL! The plus for me is the facial hair will probably start just as I start paying more for auto insurance because guess who all of a sudden pops up with a MD drivers License! So having that advanced mouthpiece waiting patiently in his draw might come in handy,... ain't gotta call Phil. LOL!

Forum Contributor 2010

Phil will talk to you about anything. Go ahead and call him about the mouthpiece already! You and your son have pretty much worked out a couple important points you might not have been able to express to Phil earlier - number one being a loud jazz piece isn't appropriate for his school setting. It will be a few years before he'll be able to play a jazz piece (not because he's incapable, just because there will be no outlet besides his bedroom to do it). Go with whatever your instructor says, talk to Phil, either hold on to the piece, or exchange it for one that you will probably ALSO have to hold on to. When he's ready, he might like it, or not... many folks go through tons of them and never find what they're looking for.... If it will keep JR playing, grab him the S80 or a Teal. Kid deserves it, he's very polite! lol.

Not meant to be butters. I play, produce (small time), and have been into photography for years. Like i said....please just ask. Peace....adrian

Also who mentioned money. I was talking common courtesy.

You're doing all the right things, dad..... i've been [and still am] in those shoes. Keep the Barone..... in short time, that piece will be great for him. In the meantime, something a little more closed, with a slightly softer [my son loves Java 2 1/2s] reeds, an S80 or 90 for that matter, even just a Morgan or Meyer piece that's not too open, will transition him just fine. If he keeps playing as much as he has been, you'll be amazed by the progress, and how he starts to handle differences in mpcs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12