P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kanee Hard Rubber Mouthpieces Pass Around

Default Re: Kanee Hard Rubber Mouthpieces Pass Around

I got the mpcs. So I hope I´ll have the review ready soon.

Re : Kanee Hard Rubber Mouthpieces Pass Around

I have received the pack of kanee mouthpieces, i Will post my impression and suggestion soon. Regards. Damien

Ok received my mouthpieces today will give them a go and post my thoughts

Kanee Mpcs review:

First of all I would like to be grateful to Mr. Kane for allow us to try his mpcs and for his kindness.

I receive:
    - Two tenors: Custom O and V model in a 7 tip opening.
    - Three alto Jazz: Custom M, V and Z model in a 5 tip opening, 0.067” on my gauge. A little closed for me.
    - One alto classical model: C16

The craftsmanship is just perfect, nice finishing with thin rails (side and tip). The finishing on shank collar could be better though.

Very even tone top to bottom, with very balanced low, mid and high registers.
    Nice clean, focused tone. The overall tone is very beautiful, is centered and very clean, not airy at all or spread, every little piece of air you blow into the sax is converted into sound. I would say they sounds really good.
    Very responsive. Very freeblowing pieces, the attack is very easy and offers very little resistance. You can play really “pianissimo” easily.
    The models (the different ones) just play as they should, I mean:
    The M alto has a middle of the road tone, not bright not dark, but maybe a little on the dark side. I find it lacks some power and brightness in the med/high, high registers, something usual on the other hand.
    The V alto offers a little more brightness and power in the med/high, high registers as expected. Maybe my favourite, I can play as dark and mellow as the M model only with my embouchure and at the same time I can get a “powerful” tone too.
    The Z is brighter but not too much, it maintains a good core.
    The same for the tenor pieces.
    Well, I haven’t been playing classical alto for a while, so I suppose my review wasn’t going to be very impartial, so I prefer not to pronounce myself about it.

In general I would say they play as they claim.
    Beautiful, full tone, but lacking power and some character. I found them very one-dimensional with a very defined tone difficult to shape in some way.
    I think they are VERY good pieces for beginners and schools.
    The price is fantastic for what they offers.

Cheers,
    Anselmo
    Alto: Selmer S-III S/S, Toneking Special: Vand. A27, RPC 90R, Cheong "Custom Made".
    Tenor: 10M RTH, SBA, Ref. 54: Vand. T20, Freddie Gregory M-II/IV 7**.
    Sop: Selmer S-III, Yani SC900u: Vand. S25, RPC. Bari: Ybs 61: Vand. B35/B75.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

Hello, I received 4 Mps today. I only play tenor so i will try those tonight and tomorrow. Please let me know who is next on the list. I will send these out Friday. Thanks, Mike

I am interested. Sending my email now.
    Soprano: 2007 Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series Raven, Selmer S80 D, Rascher
    Alto: 2009 Cannonball Vintage Series Unlacquered Lady Godiva, MacSax FJIII 9, Rascher
    Tenor: 2011 P. Mauriat 66RDK, HR Link, Metal Yani, Rascher

Hi. I'm including myself on your list as I just rec'd. an email response from you. Thanks for this opportunity!

Largely agreed with much of what has been said here about the mouthpieces, this is my review:

Kanee mouthpieces review

1.- Mouthpieces tested:
    - Alto C16
    - Alto Custom M5
    - Alto Custom V5
    - Alto Custom Z5
    - Tenor Custom V7
    - Tenor Custom O7

2.- My equipment:
    Alto: Yamaha YAS-21, Francois Louis Pure Brass lig, Queen 3 reeds (My mpc is a Phil Barone NY 6M)
    Tenor: Yamaha YTS-62, Francois Louis Pure Brass lig, Rigotti Gold 2,5M reeds (My mpc is a Francois Louis SP280)

3.- General impression:
    All tested Kanee mouthpieces are finely finished. While I don’t have the tools to make accurate dimensions measurements, sound quality and ease of playing each of them leave no doubt that the correct and accurate finishing, beyond good impression at first glance.
    Obs: One mouthpiece (Alto Custom Z5) came to me with the ring loose.

4.- Test details:
    - Alto C16: Clearly inspired by the classic Selmer S80, of similar size and sound. Maybe slightly brighter and a little better projection. Excellent student/classical mouthpiece.
    - Alto Custom M5: Balanced sound, slightly dark, a little stuffy especially in the high register and not very powerful at the lower end.
    - Alto Custom V5: Absolutely balanced sound, very responsive in the extreme registers, very even sound in all registers. I liked the moderate brightness without losing projection.
    - Alto Custom Z5: Brilliant sound and excellent projection, high dynamic range. A bit bright to my taste, but certainly an excellent contemporary sound.
    - Tenor Custom O7: Great tonal center and projection, a little dark but able to give more brightness if pushed. Well defined sound, balanced in extreme including altissimo. The playability is amazing.
    - Tenor Custom V7: Very similar to the O7, but with a little more crispy, bright and more open sound. Easy control and excellent dynamic response, more modern sound and versatile.

5 .- Final notes:
    I’ll not refer to the physical characteristics of each of the mouthpieces. I have concentrated on the product that can offer each of these mouthpieces, and this is, in general, generous, rich sound, excellent quality, ease of emission and excellent response.

Regards,

K.

Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar

I was actually interested in one of the classical tenor pieces.... since no one else is requesting one of these for trial.
    Super 20 Silversonic Tenor 427xxx - Purchased New 1968
    STM Long Body 7* Refaced by Jimmy Jensen with Legere Signature 2.5

Hey,
    I email you from brooklnwb@gmail.com. I am very interested in your mouthpiece trial. My address is: 6 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11222.

Warm Regards,
    Lathan G. Hardy

Good day,
    I am mailing out the Kanee mps this morning to Lindsey Daniels . I just wanted to note that I only received 4 mps in the package when I got it . I received the 4 mps from Allen Lowe.
    It seems others got more ??? Mr Kanee was surprised there were not 6 mps in the pack ?? I just figured I would show a count here for the next person.
    There is 1 tenor mp an O7 . there are 3 alto mps C16 Z5 and V5. apparently there should have been another tenor mp and another alto mp in the package ??
    Perhaps we can figure out whats up with that. Thanks

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cesati View Post
    Good day,
    I am mailing out the Kanee mps this morning to Lindsey Daniels . I just wanted to note that I only received 4 mps in the package when I got it . I received the 4 mps from Allen Lowe.
    It seems others got more ??? Mr Kanee was surprised there were not 6 mps in the pack ?? I just figured I would show a count here for the next person.
    There is 1 tenor mp an O7 . there are 3 alto mps C16 Z5 and V5. apparently there should have been another tenor mp and another alto mp in the package ??
    Perhaps we can figure out whats up with that. Thanks
    There were six when I sent these out. I am absolutely certain of that. You are missing the tenor V7 and the alto M5. I hope Allan didn't think he could keep 2. I know there was some confusion at the beginning of the pass around because Kane didn't want to send all the mouthpieces separately from China because of the cost. I sent them out for him after he sent them to me.

That being said, I really hope you all act with honesty and integrity. When this started I vouched for the SOTW family in that regard to Kane (although I said he should only send to long standing members) I hope these mouthpieces can be found.

I am not suggesting Allan has had anything to do with the situation . Only that he was the person that I received them from. Just merely giving a count and letting Mr Kanee know that I had 4 and where they came from. The 4 are now on their way to Lindsey Daniels.

Perhaps there is a reason and it could be figured out.

Thanks for all your support, as Steve said, I must be sorry for the confusion made at the beginning, but I did post to clarify based on members' question. I already emailed to Allen, who passed trials to Mike. I do not think Allen meant to keep two trials, but was confused. I will post about the pass status later once get Allen's feedback.
    So Mike..you won't miss any trials to review.

Thanks
    Kane

I just post to be sorry making trouble to Allen' reputation, actually it should be my bad that I did not make my points clear in my original pass conditions. And Allen already sent out two kept trials out to Mike. So hopefully it helps. Thanks..Kane

I am interested can you send me some too !
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dogster View Post
    I am interested can you send me some too !
    Doug
    Hi Doug, please email your contact info to kaneemusic@gmail.com. Thanks. Kane

I rec'd 6 pieces yesterday. 2 tenors, V7, O7, 4 altos, Z5, M5, C16, V5. They came from Robert Krasnick, all in good condition. There will be three players testing these by no later than next weekend. My son, grandson and either me or another local guy - a friend of my son, a pro. I'll try to correlate the comments in some sensible format and report here and to Kane as well.

My first impression is that they are really well-designed physically. The brass rings are a nice touch. The C16 does not have a ring. Without trying them yet, I'm thinking that based on appearance only, these will be great additions to the world of mouthpieces.

Its now a few hours later; I had a chance to try one of the alto pieces, the Custom V5 on a YAS23 I'm trying to sell for the grandson. Lousy player that I am, that piece is outstanding. Solid top to bottom - all registers. I'm anxious for the other guys opinions. They'll be here Friday night and will test the pieces all day Saturday most likely. Should be fun.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by tflanster View Post
    I rec'd 6 pieces yesterday. 2 tenors, V7, O7, 4 altos, Z5, M5, C16, V5. They came from Robert Krasnick, all in good condition. There will be three players testing these by no later than next weekend. My son, grandson and either me or another local guy - a friend of my son, a pro. I'll try to correlate the comments in some sensible format and report here and to Kane as well.

My first impression is that they are really well-designed physically. The brass rings are a nice touch. The C16 does not have a ring. Without trying them yet, I'm thinking that based on appearance only, these will be great additions to the world of mouthpieces.

Its now a few hours later; I had a chance to try one of the alto pieces, the Custom V5 on a YAS23 I'm trying to sell for the grandson. Lousy player that I am, that piece is outstanding. Solid top to bottom - all registers. I'm anxious for the other guys opinions. They'll be here Friday night and will test the pieces all day Saturday most likely. Should be fun.
    Cool, this should be fun. A group review............

just to add, belatedly - in one email I (thought I) was told to keep two and pass the rest along - may have been a language issue - but everything should have been received by now - from now on I will not use Google Translation.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast