Sax on the Web Forum banner

Post your classical playing here!

346K views 660 replies 216 participants last post by  GroverC 
#1 ·
It's high time those of us who play classical music on saxophone put our talents on display. There's a very active thread in Misc. Saxophone Discussion where people post clips of themselves - it's one of the busiest areas on this board, other than the buy/sell postings.

I'm starting this thread because I'm personally interested in hearing what other participants in this area sound like.

The only thing that I ask of you is this: if you're going to take part here, be prepared to post. I've got no time for armchair critics.

Here's the first movement of the Albinoni Sonata St. Marc on soprano with piano accompaniment.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/albinoni1.wma

#211 ·
my first live/raw recording of a piece
Creston Sonata
Pt. 1 -
Pt. 2 -

Coincidently my recording studio is also stationed in my bathroom

#214 ·
Here's a recent performance of Noda's Improvisation 1 that I did. I wish I had taken some more time between the ideas... but the whole performance jitters got to me and I kinda pushed through it too fast. Anywho... comments are welcome. (I cant roll my R's.... hence the cheat trill I used on the B):D

Improvisation No.1

#216 ·
VaudvilleSax said:
Here's a recent performance of Noda's Improvisation 1 that I did. I wish I had taken some more time between the ideas... but the whole performance jitters got to me and I kinda pushed through it too fast. Anywho... comments are welcome. (I cant roll my R's.... hence the cheat trill I used on the B):D

Improvisation No.1
I like your playing! You are definitely able to hold my interest, which is key in performing any "modern" piece (though this one is more in the realm of "old war horse" these days).

I am curious as to whether you have listened to any shakuhachi music in preparation for playing this piece. If not, you should have a listen, as that's the basis of the piece, and you might gain additional insights into the aesthetic the composer was going for.

All that is said in preparation for my only constructive criticism, which is that the performance was totally solid but perhaps a bit aggressive/athletic in quiet areas for a shakuhachi (think subtle/nuanced).

Alan

#218 ·
Time to jump in...

I've got recordings of works by Denisov, Riley, Swendsen, Bloland along with an original composition on the trusty MySpace. These clips plus a handful of chamber stuff are also available at my actual website. All clips are live/unedited and were recorded anywhere between a month and five years ago. Comments, questions and boos are welcome.

Mike

#220 ·
awholly.... I actually did a project recently on traditional Japanese influence on saxophone music. I think i know some of the parts you are talking about being too aggressive. I guess I took a more western approach to the music in some parts. ;)

Here is another recording from the same performance. Theres a couple rocky spots :(. lol let me know what ya guys think :cool:
Muczynski - Sonata mvt.1

#221 ·
Yet another recording... this is the Larghetto from Ibert's Concertino da Camera. Make sure you add vibrato to the C# in that altissimo section. lol.. mine sounded a bit like a dying cat when i hit it... and I needed a breath after - so sad. haha.

I just posted this section of the movement in the hopes of some feedback on the altissimo spot. Is it too thin or whiney sounding? Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Larghetto from Ibert's Concertino da Camera

#222 ·
I listened to your recording of the Ibert Larghetto Vaudville, and overall I think it's well excecuted and sounds fine, but as far as the altissimo section, when I hear you play it, I hear a "jazziness" to it. Some of the notes are "scooped" and when working on altissimo, I beleive that there is no reason that the extended range shouldn't sound every bit as sonorous and beautiful as the rest of the practical range. It's not that its "too thin, or whiny" is that it just sounds different from the notes preceeding it, and it IS possible to make them sound just as good as the notes preceeding the altissimo.

#223 ·
amart565 said:
I listened to your recording of the Ibert Larghetto Vaudville, and overall I think it's well excecuted and sounds fine, but as far as the altissimo section, when I hear you play it, I hear a "jazziness" to it. Some of the notes are "scooped" and when working on altissimo, I beleive that there is no reason that the extended range shouldn't sound every bit as sonorous and beautiful as the rest of the practical range. It's not that its "too thin, or whiny" is that it just sounds different from the notes preceeding it, and it IS possible to make them sound just as good as the notes preceeding the altissimo.
I agree fully. The "jazziness" u are talking about were mistakes by me. lol. I'm still working a lot on altissimo... the scoops and cracks were unintentional. I was in pray-to-god mode while performing up there.

#224 ·
My Contributions

I've been using sax on the web as a resource for a couple of years now. I figure it's time I start contributing. I finally got a MySpace up @

http://www.myspace.com/ralphtorresjazz

and a soundclick page @

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=714004

the live stuff is from my senior recital. It was at Cal State San Bernardino on May 25, 2007. The recorded tracks are from projects that I have worked on as part of my music technology classes. The sax quintet track is me playing all the tracks separetly, then I edited and mixed them to simulate a live performance. The Jazz quartet is
Jeff Mikusky- Piano
Eugene Jaceldo- Bass
Jason Basoco- Drums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.