Sax on the Web Forum banner

Post your classical playing here!

346K views 660 replies 216 participants last post by  GroverC 
#1 ·
It's high time those of us who play classical music on saxophone put our talents on display. There's a very active thread in Misc. Saxophone Discussion where people post clips of themselves - it's one of the busiest areas on this board, other than the buy/sell postings.

I'm starting this thread because I'm personally interested in hearing what other participants in this area sound like.

The only thing that I ask of you is this: if you're going to take part here, be prepared to post. I've got no time for armchair critics.

Here's the first movement of the Albinoni Sonata St. Marc on soprano with piano accompaniment.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/albinoni1.wma

#55 ·
The piece on that last cut is the Fantaisie (pour saxophone soprano ou tenor et piano) by Denis Bedard. It's published by Gerard Billaudot of Paris. I found a copy of it in Archambault Music in Montreal.

#57 ·
Clarinophonist said:
Wow, nice peformance Merlin. Bravo!

I really dont want to turn this into a setup or equipment thread, but could you please tell me what recording equipment you were using in most of your recordings merlin.
I've posted some gear stuff previously...just pore through the whole thread and you should find it :)

#59 ·
mr_syms said:
i've just posted a recording of me playing maurice ravel's 'piece en forme de habanera' on soprano. theres a bunch of other junk there too :)
Thanks for that clip Mr Syms. I enjoyed hearing that, and it reminded me I've played the piece as well. Since they post a lot of different versions of the same tunes in the other clip area, I thought I'd throw in this one as well. :)

www.merlinwilliams.com/habanera.mp3

#61 ·
Hey Merlin,
I'm planning on posting some of my music I'll be recording for my graduate auditions. However, life is busy right now... so it may be a while. Just finished same major house renovations including a great new teaching/practice studio where I've relocated all my home-recording equipment. Nice and spacious, moderately-live room.

Fantaisie is a nice sounding piece... very cheerful.

Jason

#62 ·
Merlin said:
Horrors!

We seem to be losing momentum... :(

I have more material I could post, but I'd rather hear everyone else.
http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/lonestarsax/AmazingGrace.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/lonestarsax/singlee.mp3

Here's a couple of recent quartet rehearsal cuts with me on soprano. The
Amazing Grace is a great theme-and-variations arrangement by Eric Wilson, and the Singlee is the Allegro de Concert taken from the first movement of one of his quartets. Unfortuntately the Singlee is under tempo, as this was a shake-out-the-cobwebs run-through.

Alan

#657 ·
http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/lonestarsax/AmazingGrace.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/lonestarsax/singlee.mp3

Here's a couple of recent quartet rehearsal cuts with me on soprano. The
Amazing Grace is a great theme-and-variations arrangement by Eric Wilson, and the Singlee is the Allegro de Concert taken from the first movement of one of his quartets. Unfortuntately the Singlee is under tempo, as this was a shake-out-the-cobwebs run-through.

Alan
Alan,
Gotta love the internet - I was trying to find a decent recording of the Resounding Wind's Amazing Grace...played the heck out of it in my high School quartet but have lost all of the analog recordings we had.. The link you posted 17 years ago or so is dead....any chance you could reup or send direct to sgibson on gmail?

Many thanks and happy playing!
-Sean.

#63 ·
Hey Alan - I really liked Amazing Grace. Where can I get the chart for that?

I tried to listen to the Singlee, but it won't d/l...

Did you get the CDs I sent you?

#66 ·
I use an Archos Multimedia Jukebox with an inexpensive Church Audio preamp (a phono preamp will work too) and a Sony stereo mic (~$90)designed for use with Mini-disc recorders. I abandoned Mini-disc because Sony did not allow direct digital transfer of recordings. I believe that is now possible with Hi-MD, and I'd recommend taking a look at that equipment if you need something very portable.

#67 ·
jp3 said:
What kind of equipment do you guys use to record your performances. Is it possible to make decent recordings without spending a ton of money? If recording at home, what is the best acoustical environment?
I'm using a Crown SASS-P stereo boundary mic. It's pricey at about $800+, but is pretty much idiot-proof. That goes into a mic pre, then into my laptop via a Roland UA-5 interface. The recording s/w is Sound Forge, which is a 2-track editing program.

#69 ·
#73 ·
Nothing special.
He did pay a lot of attention to the intonation and i remember he did get very mad at us for this.
He was very very fussy on dynamics too. Where a 'p' was written he wanted us to play it 'ppp'.

Whatever i have all the complete recording of quartet. If anyone is interested at it all i can upload it and post the links here.

#74 ·
http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/Dressel-Live-NR.mp3

I played the first movement of the Dressel Partita in church this morning.
Sorry about having to use noise reduction....

[edit: I put it back in original form after listening with headphones. NR is no longer applied]

C'mon guys and gals, POST SOME STUFF!

Alan

#76 ·
Hello All

Awhile back Merlin kindly invited some of us who regularly post jazz clips to try our hand at something classical. Well, I'm pretty sure that what I have posted on my site is not classical - but probably could be characterized as concert quartet. I attempted to play all of the parts - bari, 2d alto, 1st alto and tenor - on some music that Paul Coats posted on the home page of Sax On The Web. It is music written by a composer for use in a video game that apparently is popular. Anyway, I soon learned that just about every skill I needed to play legit had faded pretty badly - playing a written part as written - dynamics as written - counting so as to come in at the correct spot - matching dynamics to give the melody line plenty of play - intonation - etc. Plus, my main instrument is bari - so the soprano parts were particulary dicey. In any event - TARANT SEWERS can be found on the Jazz page of my website - www.richardwade.net. Sorry, I can't give you a direct link as somehow the site hosts will not allow it. Any comments are welcome. Finally, anyone who wants to post some jazz - join us over at the "post a clip" thread in the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.