Sax on the Web Forum banner

Post your classical playing here!

346K views 660 replies 216 participants last post by  GroverC 
#1 ·
It's high time those of us who play classical music on saxophone put our talents on display. There's a very active thread in Misc. Saxophone Discussion where people post clips of themselves - it's one of the busiest areas on this board, other than the buy/sell postings.

I'm starting this thread because I'm personally interested in hearing what other participants in this area sound like.

The only thing that I ask of you is this: if you're going to take part here, be prepared to post. I've got no time for armchair critics.

Here's the first movement of the Albinoni Sonata St. Marc on soprano with piano accompaniment.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/albinoni1.wma

#581 ·
Well here you go First ever saxophone recording on SaxontheWeb

the quality is not great, but constructional criticism welcome:

there's a few other things on my soundcloud, mainly just experiments with mics and a rip off a video someone got at a dinner of me playing Gabe's oboe, if anyone cares to listen.

edit: new link, with a bit of re-jigging because I thought the piano was too loud.

#584 ·
Before posting I listened to your piece Dlew .. very nicely done - the mix sounds right to me. :bluewink:

I enjoy playing the Ferling etudes .. but it's often hard to keep up with the backing and get a breath in. :evil:
I noticed quite a few shortened notes and my mouthpiece is probably better suited to jazz.
A semi-beginner take on Ferling No.41 :

#590 ·
It's been nearly ten years since I started this thread!

The tracks I originally posted aren't available online anymore, so I thought I'd reach back to the source material I used in 2004 to start the thread, and post one of the tunes I didn't put up the first time 'round.

Here's the Piece in the form of a Habanera, by Maurice Ravel. Merlin Williams, soprano saxophone with Ellen Meyer on piano. Recorded at Eglinton-St.George's United Church in February of 2004.

My gear, for those who are into such things - Jupiter Artist Soprano Saxophone (the same one I still play!) with a Rascher mouthpiece, Rovner lig and Vandoren #3 blue box reeds.

#592 ·
Great tone! Very nice rendition of this piece. Fluid with such a lovely tone. Seriously... I have a hard time getting over wonderfully gentle and sweet you played that!
Thanks! That's one of the things about a Rascher mouthpiece - practically impossible to get it to sound harsh. I tend to play on either a Bilger Gold or Vandoren S15 these days. The Rascher is great for duo work, but when I'm soloist with a band or orchestra, I need more focus to be heard.

#595 ·
Me holding soprano sax .Concert in a church in stockholm nov 2013

This little gem is the soprono sax intro from Hugo Alfvens Dalarapsodi arranged for wind band by Joel Olsson.The arrangment was borrowed from the Royal Swedish Marine core Band.
I played it on a yamaha YSS-875HG with a Vandoren Sl3 mouthpiece and a standard vandoren reed strength 4.It was recorded using a sony pcm D50 with a pearl stereo condenser mic. From a distance of about 6 meteres.

#598 ·
Re: Me holding soprano sax .Concert in a church in stockholm nov 2013

This little gem is the soprono sax intro from Hugo Alfvens Dalarapsodi arranged for wind band by Joel Olsson.The arrangment was borrowed from the Royal Swedish Marine core Band.
I played it on a yamaha YSS-875HG with a Vandoren Sl3 mouthpiece and a standard vandoren reed strength 4.It was recorded using a sony pcm D50 with a pearl stereo condenser mic. From a distance of about 6 meteres.
Very nice! (Belated listen.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.