Sax on the Web Forum banner

Post your classical playing here!

346K views 660 replies 216 participants last post by  GroverC 
#1 ·
It's high time those of us who play classical music on saxophone put our talents on display. There's a very active thread in Misc. Saxophone Discussion where people post clips of themselves - it's one of the busiest areas on this board, other than the buy/sell postings.

I'm starting this thread because I'm personally interested in hearing what other participants in this area sound like.

The only thing that I ask of you is this: if you're going to take part here, be prepared to post. I've got no time for armchair critics.

Here's the first movement of the Albinoni Sonata St. Marc on soprano with piano accompaniment.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/albinoni1.wma

#544 ·

Here is my own arrangement of Percy Grainger's "Molly on the Shore" for saxophone ensemble. I recorded all of the parts myself on 10 separate tracks. It is arranged for 2 sopranos (1st with an optional sopranino part, but I played it on soprano), 3 Altos, 2 Tenors, 2 Baritone, and 1 Bass (I recorded the bass part on my baritone, as I don't own a bass, and the part is within the baritone's range). I hope you enjoy listening!

#546 ·
OK.. Not quite classical as such.. This is an exerpt from "In Dreams" from The Lord of the Rings soundtrack. And it's on flute not saxophone.. but this is my first attempt at recording my flute playing (have only been playing since Christmas 2011, as opposed to the tenor sax which I have played 4 years now). This has really highlighted to me the need to put in the practice to get it up to scratch.. the recording process proved to be a great, if frustrating, lesson in technique. A long way to go!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/96630931/In Dreams Demo.mp2

#547 ·
Check out Manhattan Saxophone Quartet's new recording of Nils Vigeland's "Ebb and Flow". This work is completely spatially notated and is a reflection of the composer's attendance at the funeral of a dear friend. If you enjoy it, friend us on facebook!

G
#550 ·

Beautiful Colorado. A couple of parts are modified a little from the original version to add my own personal touch onto it. This was done this last spring. Not the best performance, as it was my first semester back into college after being out for about 4 years and not playing anything but Jazz and rock on sax.

#555 ·
Nice sound! What's your setup? I can guess the horn by your handle, but mp/reed?

#566 ·
Ivansax: Why on earth are you not using vibrato?? You are playing a saxophone, not a clarinet!! Has no one told you how to do it? Have you tried it yourself? You can not call yourself a classical saxophonist without using vibrato, it is such a wonderful expression! Please try it . It is very easy, just make more and then less pressure on the mouthpiece than usual with your lower jaw. That makes the tone a bit higher and lower. It should never be too fast nor too wide. Jaw vibrato is better than diaphram vibrato on the saxophone. Good luck and best wishes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.