Sax on the Web Forum banner

Post your classical playing here!

346K views 660 replies 216 participants last post by  GroverC 
#1 ·
It's high time those of us who play classical music on saxophone put our talents on display. There's a very active thread in Misc. Saxophone Discussion where people post clips of themselves - it's one of the busiest areas on this board, other than the buy/sell postings.

I'm starting this thread because I'm personally interested in hearing what other participants in this area sound like.

The only thing that I ask of you is this: if you're going to take part here, be prepared to post. I've got no time for armchair critics.

Here's the first movement of the Albinoni Sonata St. Marc on soprano with piano accompaniment.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/albinoni1.wma

#29 ·
:shock:

Holy cow! prodigal, I'm truly impressed by your playing! I don't think I've heard vibrato on the saxophone quite like yours--you use vibrato like a competent string player does. And your technique is super clean. Very impressive, VERY impressive. Wow...wow.

Thanks for sharing. Now you're making me regret posting any of my recordings... :oops:

#31 ·
Thanks guys, that's really very kind.... and a needed shot in the arm.

Dorothy Chang (officially Chang-Bortolussi) is a wonderful composer and a sweetheart. She's contributed a few other works to our rep, including a sax quartet that was performed (premiered?) at the NASA convention this past summer.

She wrote this piece for me, and I premiered it almost 10 years ago, but it got kinda "buried" - for lack of a better term. I really like it, and I'm hoping to do a studio recording of it sometime this year.

Here's some info on her:

The music of Dorothy Chang reflects her interest in various types of music including electronic, traditional Chinese and music in perfomance art. Chang's music has been performed by ensembles including the Albany Symphony, Indianapolis Symphony, Queens Symphony, Seattle Symphony, Chicago Civic and Aspen Festival Orchestras, Collage New Music, Kylix New Music Ensemble, TONK and North/South Consonance. Honors and prizes she has received include a Charles Ives Scholarship from the American Academy of Arts and Letters and awards from ASCAP, the National Society of Arts and Letters, International Alliance of Women in Music, and Mu Phi Epsilon. She has received commissions from Chamber Music America, the Barlow Endowment, the Mary Cary Flagler Charitable Trust, Music From China, and the Chicago Saxophone Quartet, among others. Dorothy is a Music Alive Composer-in-Residence of the Albany Symphony Orchestra for the 2003-04 season. Dorothy taught at Indiana University and Indiana State University before joining the music faculty at UBC as an Assistant Professor in July 2003.

www.dorothychang.com

#33 ·
I liked the playing and the piece...

I checked out that piece on-line last night, and I can't firgure out for what instrument(s) it was originally written. Anybody know?
There's also a post of a Piazzolla called "Oblivion" somewhere in these threads, and it's just gorgeous! Soprano saxophone and strings -- mmmmmmmm!!!!!

#35 ·
Merlin, I find your recordings especially curious. There is an unusually large amount of reverb. At first listen I thought you had recorded in a studio using an effects processor to get such a "wet" sound (then I heard the applause at the end). What was the hall like, the one you played in? Do you know what kind of mics you used, whether they were directional or omni? Sorry to be so technical. I'm just curious about these sorts of things. :)

#36 ·
prodigal, I just listened to your recording again (the first one you posted). I'm still amazed at your vibrato in the altissimo register. I swear you sound like a freakin' violin up there!

Just curious, what is your story on the saxophone? Who were some of your teachers? Or does everyone on this message board already know except me?

#37 ·
SaxyAcoustician said:
Merlin, I find your recordings especially curious. There is an unusually large amount of reverb. At first listen I thought you had recorded in a studio using an effects processor to get such a "wet" sound (then I heard the applause at the end). What was the hall like, the one you played in? Do you know what kind of mics you used, whether they were directional or omni? Sorry to be so technical. I'm just curious about these sorts of things. :)
The clips I posted were done in concert in a large church.

Mic setup is a Crown SASS-P stereo boundary mic into a Soundcraft digital board, into my laptop.

#39 ·
JfW said:
Does anyone else find Merlin's soprano playing to be sublime?
You think that's sublime...you ought to hear him live.

(There's no "sublime" smiley, so I'll use the "beer" smiley in Merlin's honor.) :eek:ccasion:

#42 ·
Merlin said:
Thanks for the kudos you guys.

I love tossing one of those clips someone's way when they claim that Taiwanese instruments "play out of tune"....
I've stated it several times, but one of the reasons I abandoned Selmer was that my Cannonball Big Bell alto played better in tune than my Series III alto, and I have the spreadsheets to prove it! Since now I've gone vintage, it's moot for me. :)

Alan

#43 ·
I played a Jupiter tenor for a few years. Believe it or not, back in college an apartment mate of my girlfriend (at the time) had a boyfriend who was the son of the owner of Jupiter (they're now married). He was visiting from Taiwan one week in '96. I asked him to custom-make for me a sterling silverplated tenor and alto with gold lacquered keys. He charged me about $1k for the tenor and $800 for the alto if I remember correctly. It took a few months for them to build it and get it shipped to the States. Was it me who sparked the idea of the Artist Series? 8) I just remember him being extremely intrigued by the idea as I told him my thoughts. As it turned out, about a year to two later, the Artist Series was introduced.

I ended up selling both horns at my cost but they were respectable horns, particularly the tenor. I played that one quite a bit. The only real problem I had with it was the low C# to low B transition on the left hand pinky. It was impossible the way that particular cluster was built.

Taiwan's come a long way especially in the last few years. They're a contender alright.

#44 · (Edited by Moderator)
So should I assume that you folks indulge in alcohol from time to time?

SaxyAc: Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I think that sometimes the "notify me when reply is posted" thing doesn't work.

Anyway, if you check out :

[url]http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=217529 [/url]

-- you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know about me.

Thanks for the interest in my vibrato. And yes, I do ask myself what a given passage would sound like if a string player were playing it. It made me happy that you tuned in to that. String players generally do have us beat when it comes to musical tradition.

#45 ·
Great clips -- seriously.

On the other hand, if you play a Jupiter horn do you drive a Saturn?

Jus wondering.....

As always, Peace.

Chris.

P.S. Or maybe it's the Mars bars after the performance.

#46 ·
Wow, prodigal (or is Chris ok?). I just finished listening to all of the clips on that website. You're the real deal. Talk about well-rounded...till today I thought Tom Walsh (of Indiana U) was the only player who could competently straddle the line that divides classical and jazz. Man, you really are a great player. I feel so inferior now on this board. Thanks prodigal. :razz:

#48 ·
Saxy: Yup, I was having too much fun, listening to those galactic sounds and came to that Universal observation. Always wanted to be in PR and it just crept out.

Back to seriously. Chris, it's not because we happen to have the same first name and I've never said this about any player to date. BUT, you could give Kenny G and Dave Koz a run for their money. And, as you can well understand, this is not said everyday. This is based on the tune on your web site when one first clicks on it. I haven't gone in and listened to the rest of the selections on your site. On soprano you have a tone to die for. This is nothing against Merlin, who appears to a bit more straight classical and also does an excellent job. Totally different styles.

One of my favorite soprano sax sounds -- all time, is when they redid the Theme music for the show Law and Order and put in a soprano sax. To die for. Brother, you are there. You have that sweet soft core sound making that edge Kenny G produces totally unneccesary.

Both of you, Merlin and Chris -- Keep up the good work.

As always, Peace.

Chris.

#50 ·
Straightsax said:
This is nothing against Merlin, who appears to a bit more straight classical and also does an excellent job.
I'm definitely taking that as a compliment, since

1. I mainly work as a big band baritone player.

&

2. I never studied classical saxophone - I went to Humber College (aka the Berklee of the North) and did the jazz program there.

:)

#51 ·
BTW, Merlin -- thanks for starting a great thread. Who knows what else is out there.

All you big shot recording companies and major record labels. Dis here is da place. Look no further.

As always, Peace.

Chris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.