Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Re: Check out my recording of Tableaux de Provence Mvt. 4

Quote Originally Posted by drakesaxprof View Post
    You seem to have an attractive sound and vibrato concept. I have to ask, though: Why do you think that this music deserves only ten minutes of preparation? In many cases, I work with students for the better part of a semester preparing several movements of this for performance, and I'm not talking about notes and rhythms. Nuances of phrase direction, vibrato, subtle dynamics, etc. are what bring this to life. Above all, respect the music--and giving it your serious time and attention is the first step. What is the translation of the title? How can you portray that sentiment/image via a thoughtful and detailed performance?

These considerations are far more critical than guessing what horn you're playing, or whether your ligature is bare brass or painted blue. Those factors will not correct notes or create phrase direction where none exists.
    You're the man.

Angel
    Concert Saxophonist ~ Artisan Barman
    YSS875EXHGLAS • SG2RS • S27 • M/O • 4
    YAS875EXS • AV1AG • A28 • M/O • 3

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar

Default Re: Post your classical playing here!

I've listened to Delangle's recording many times. That's my goal (although I might never reach it).
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Hey guys
    I wanna post my recording of Tableaux de Provence. I played it at a contest about 3 weeks ago. It's all in one mp3 in the following order:
    Movement I
    Movement IV
    Movement III

http://www.fileload.us/75762928-thomas_prix_musique.mp3

Quality is not the best, but it's ok. Turn down your speaker towards the end because the clapping will be really loud.
    I know there's some wrong notes in Movement I and Movement III doesn't seem to be very clear (it was a big room).
    But I'm especially wondering about your comments of Movement IV. It's not the typical Delangle version.

Please give me a feedback! Thanks

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar

I just typed out a long response and my browser closed on me. Sorry. Well, to sum it up,it sounds great. You just need to watch dynamics in places, and I would have preferred a more consistent vibrato. I noticed you didn't use vibrato on the 3rd movement, like delangle, but I prefer heavy vibrato on this for the effect. It sounds good either way, so I don't care too much. Also watch the sharpness up in the palm keys. Just need to work out some of the technical flubs and it'll be even better. Your recording of the 4th is much better than mine.
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Arctus,

Pretty nice recording. It's so similar to Delangle's interpretation. I think you should put more of YOU in there, and some of the notes in the recording are just sitting there and not moving at all. maybe do some slight crescendo or decrescendo in there to give it more motion and life I kinda want to ask you where you go to school and what year are you. In a way you sound really much like me and I'm working on the piece for my recital in mid May. I'm using right now a series III with vandoren A17 and vandoren string lig and number 4 vandoren reed.
    Soprano: yanagisawa solid silver SC9930, SL3/C*
    Alto: Selmer Series III, gold plated neck, AL3
    Tenor: Selmer Series III Matte, TL3

Also, fourth mvoement the second your pitch for your second octave like D,E,F,G,A...etc. are all extremely sharp when you played it.
    Soprano: yanagisawa solid silver SC9930, SL3/C*
    Alto: Selmer Series III, gold plated neck, AL3
    Tenor: Selmer Series III Matte, TL3

Thanks for the comments to both of you!

@NatureColor: You heard right, I listened to Delangle's recording a lot. Although we have to say my interpretation of the 4th movement is quite different then his. My teacher and I talked a lot about how to play this piece and we got to the conclusion that it sounds most like mourning when I play it in a slow and steady tempo.

I'm actually living in Switzerland and I'm not planning to major in music. Music is just a big hobby for me. I'm 19 years old and have been playing the sax for 7 years. I'm taking private lessons with a student of Iwan Roth.
    Last year I spent a year in the States in a High School where I really started to appreciate the music. American High Schools are far ahead in the music classes they offer in school compared to Europe.

Oh, my setup is a series II with Vandoren AL3 and Vandoren classic 3 reeds.

I hope you record your recital and post it here!

Thanks again for the comment!

Just performed Jungle yesterday. Not nearly as amazing as O'Connor's presentation. But something I'm proud of. You'll need to turn the sound way up on your speakers to hear it though.

http://www.myspace.com/zmarshallignas

Distinguished SOTW Member

www.soundclick.com/alexsellers

Two new recordings up. The first is the first movement of the Marcello Concerto for Soprano solo and AATB Quartet. The second recording is the third movement, Ostinato, of a new quartet piece being written for our quartet by Joseph Robert Charron. He's a sophomore comp major here at my school.

Marcello:
    Sop: Dr. Carolyn Bryan

Charron:
    Sop: Ryan Douglas
    Alto: Reginaly Victor Smith Kelley
    Tenor: John Hardin
    Bari: Alex Sellers

Here's a recording of me performing the Schmitt Legend in the Semi Finals of the JMLondeix Competition in Thailand. It has been slightly compressed so the sound is not 100%, but it's not awful. Roger Admiral on Piano (amazing!). Also, please note that 1 day before this performance I dropped my Alto, and still played it here... Not exactly the best low register response after the fall, but still playable.

http://web.mac.com/page0149/StephenPage/Audio.html

Steve P
    Last edited by Steve P; 05-04-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Type

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P View Post
    Also, please note that 1 day before this performance I dropped my Alto, and still played it here... Not exactly the best low register response after the fall, but still playable.
    Wow, how many times is that now Steve? A little clumsy with your saxophones n'est pas? You should be more careful.

Yes, Ricardo, I am well aware that I should be more careful. It was a short 'drop' but just enough to throw things a little out. Obviously, since I used it in the second round, it wasn't that bad.

Forum Contributor 2014
    The official SOTW Little Sister

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lN_Or3GiuQ

I've posted this somewhere else also, but it really belongs here. It was for an audition. Comments for a high school freshman player?
    Please and thank you.
    It's only cool until Kenny G does it.

Forum Contributor 2014
    The official SOTW Little Sister

RobD, I left you a comment on youtube.
    BTW, I also wanted to say nice job. I don't know if you could tell by the post I left.
    It's only cool until Kenny G does it.

Hi guys,

some great playing on here! Check out my website and feel free to add me and message me, it would be great to get in touch with people from all over the world!

Keep praticin them scales!!!

Jacob

just posted some more music on my MySpace page. Now everything's a bit louder and easier to hear.

http://www.myspace.com/zmarshallignas
    Last edited by sonicthehedgehog; 05-10-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: not enough information

check out the link on my signature at the bottom for some Creston, Bozza and Jolivet, along with some recordings of my saxophone quartet! feel free to add me as a friend, woul be good to hear from different perspectives!

J

(i only just realised i've posted above...im not sure how to delete...sorry :s )

ok... I'll be brave and take a beating. haha. Feedback welcome!

Worley Sonata mvt.1
    Rudy Wiedoeft is "The Man"
    Alto:
    Yamaha 62 with YAS-475 neck
    Selmer C*
    Rovner Light Lig
    Vandoren Traditional 4

Puffy padded neckstrap!!!

ok. Here's one more. Any and all feedback welcome.

Dressel Partita mvt.2
    Rudy Wiedoeft is "The Man"
    Alto:
    Yamaha 62 with YAS-475 neck
    Selmer C*
    Rovner Light Lig
    Vandoren Traditional 4

Puffy padded neckstrap!!!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6567888
    Hi, I just performed Mai by Ryo Noda.
    I would love to get some feedback.

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast