Sax on the Web Forum banner

Post your classical playing here!

346K views 660 replies 216 participants last post by  GroverC 
#1 ·
It's high time those of us who play classical music on saxophone put our talents on display. There's a very active thread in Misc. Saxophone Discussion where people post clips of themselves - it's one of the busiest areas on this board, other than the buy/sell postings.

I'm starting this thread because I'm personally interested in hearing what other participants in this area sound like.

The only thing that I ask of you is this: if you're going to take part here, be prepared to post. I've got no time for armchair critics.

Here's the first movement of the Albinoni Sonata St. Marc on soprano with piano accompaniment.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/albinoni1.wma

#341 ·
http://www.myspace.com/andrewparksaxophonist
I uploaded me playing Bonneau - Caprice en Forme de Valse on MySpace. The first twenty seconds is me talking to a couple friends. It's far from GREAT and I'm going to be working on it a lot more over this summer.

Constructive Criticism is very much welcomed.

#346 ·
I haven't played this piece before, so I don't know the specific technicalities of the piece but I have heard it many times. The best word to describe your rendition is 'professional' :) I thought you captured the nuances very well, your your technique sounded smooth and you were balanced (volume and tone) through all the registers so well done, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

#343 ·
It sounds good. However, I would say your vibrato varies a bit. At some parts, it's very fast and a bit wide, and at other parts, it is rather slow and narrow until you can barely hear it. You're supposed to have a bit slower vibrato for more lyrical parts, but I think it varies a bit too much. Also, near the beginning, when it says to slight retard. (I don't know the measure, I don't have the score with me) and it goes into that lyrical section, I don't think it's supposed to be that slow. Most people I've heard return to the tempo at the beginning at that part. I'd just say to get your technique evened out, and also to add a bit more expression and variation in dynamics and whatnot. Otherwise, it sounds fine. How long have you been working on it?

#357 ·
Hi Folks.

These are 3 recordings of the large high school saxophone ensemble that I conduct. I know that some of the tempi got a bit fast. That was primarily my fault (too much adrenaline :) ). Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Fanfare from La Peri by Dukas

Second Suite in F by Holst, mvmts 2, 3, and 4

Molly on the Shore by Grainger (my own arrangement)

Enjoy!

Karl

#360 ·
I uploaded some new recordings from my quartet's European concert tour(mostly from our Zurich concert).

http://www.myspace.com/manaquartet

Amazing how in these concerts we sweated the most and busted our asses the most for Keuris, yet everyone always enjoyed Bach and Piazzolla the most.... so I put that stuff up on the website lol.

#363 ·
I'll soon by putting up the first movement of handels Sonata no 3. arranged by Sigurd Rascher ... I have a web cam and USB mic the mix in an APEX 81, I was just going to record and post the clip but if I can get the video in there somehow may allow more feedback, as right now I'm teacherless.

Any comments would help

#364 ·
Here's me playing the first movement of the Creston Sonata...it wasn't my best performance, plus I was doing it memorized. It was at State Solo and Ensemble and you can here the Judge (Lynn Klock)'s comments at the end...heh. Any criticism welcome, I'm gonna try to do Ibert this year...

#365 ·
Here's me playing the first movement of the Creston Sonata...it wasn't my best performance, plus I was doing it memorized. It was at State Solo and Ensemble and you can here the Judge (Lynn Klock)'s comments at the end...heh. Any criticism welcome, I'm gonna try to do Ibert this year...
You'll need to post a link of some kind.

#369 ·
I played this about a year ago for a sax recital...

I may regret posting this because I cringe every time I hear it but this is from the beginning of my freshman year. Its Rapsodie pour Saxophone by Debussy. They're some inconsistent parts and its a little dirty. I regret playing it without music but oh well :) I was playing on a rascher mouthpiece at the time.

Hope you enjoy

-Durand

http://rapidshare.de/files/40153803/01_Track_01_4.m4a.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.