P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 30 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your classical playing here!

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

Default Post your classical playing here!

It's high time those of us who play classical music on saxophone put our talents on display. There's a very active thread in Misc. Saxophone Discussion where people post clips of themselves - it's one of the busiest areas on this board, other than the buy/sell postings.

I'm starting this thread because I'm personally interested in hearing what other participants in this area sound like.

The only thing that I ask of you is this: if you're going to take part here, be prepared to post. I've got no time for armchair critics.

Here's the first movement of the Albinoni Sonata St. Marc on soprano with piano accompaniment.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/albinoni1.wma

Here's one on tenor:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/bach2.mp3

Let's see some action here!

8)

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011

Bravo!

Thanks for starting this thread too. I hope more people will follow your lead. Here's a recording of me. Not one I'm especially proud of (lots of problems, -but hey it was the leadoff on a recital and I was pretty dang nervous). Not necessarily how I'd play it now, either.

Maybe it will make someone else feel better about posting....

http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/Syrinx.mp3

..and you can hear the quartet I play in here.....

http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/lo...sax/index.html

Alan

Thanks Alan!

I listened to a couple of the quartet tracks on your page as well as your solo work. I should get a list of the charts I've arranged for quartet to you.

It was cool to hear Syrinx on alto. I've got a recording of Brodie doing it on soprano. I hear some similarities in your use of vibrato compared to his version.

Hello!

what a great topic!
    i will endeavor to record much more classical stuff in the future, but for now here are some recordings i've done in the past year or so.

The gigue from Bach's 1st Cello Suite (not one of my best recordings) and two Vaughan Williams arrangements for saxophone quartet, As the tide came flowing in and The dark eyed sailor, I play soprano on the two quartet pieces

www.angelfire.com/vamp/bigband/recordings.html

Merlin, what is your soprano setup?

on these recordings i'm playing a keilwerth ST with a C* and a vandoren 3 (a setup which i've changed considerably, i now play an SX with a selmer F and Vandoren 3 and a halves)

the alto is an EX keilwerth with a C** and vandoren 3's.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin

I listened to a couple of the quartet tracks on your page as well as your solo work. I should get a list of the charts I've arranged for quartet to you.
    Please do! You can email me at comcast dot net as awholley.

Mr. Syms: check this link out. Interesting how we have two very different interpretations of Dark Eyed Sailor, but they both work!

http://home.comcast.net/~awholley/lo...x/samples.html

Alan

man, we never thought of playing it SLOW!!!
    what kind of crazy idea's that!! :P

do you play a curved sop all the time?
    what sort is it?

(i saw one in the picture on your site)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_syms
    Merlin, what is your soprano setup?

on these recordings i'm playing a keilwerth ST with a C* and a vandoren 3 (a setup which i've changed considerably, i now play an SX with a selmer F and Vandoren 3 and a halves) the alto is an EX keilwerth with a C** and vandoren 3's.
    That cut was done on a Jupiter Artist soprano with a Rascher m/p, #3 Vandoren reeds and a Rovner lig.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_syms
    man, we never thought of playing it SLOW!!!
    what kind of crazy idea's that!! :P

do you play a curved sop all the time?
    what sort is it?

(i saw one in the picture on your site)
    I play curved soprano only, as I find the sound better for my purposes and I have less difficulty with technical passages (I always felt like the straight soprano was wobbling around all over the place). Also, in quartet, it seems to be easier to maintain balance.

The soprano pictured was a Cannonball Big Bell. I now play a fantastic Buescher TruTone that has been retrofitted with a front F and articulated G#.

Even on the jazz cuts I was using a Rascher or Buescher mouthpiece, usually with Glotin GIII 3.5 reeds.

Alan

Here's another clip of me playing soprano on Cafe 1930 from Histoire du Tango:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/piazzolla.mp3

Remember folks, we want to be able to listen really closely, so if you can encode your mp3 files at a minimum of 128k, things will sound better. This clip and the Bach I have available were both done at 192k.

Well, guys, I don't have anything recorded I can post myself, but I'd like to say from my armchair, how much I enjoyed your playing!

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2006 rcwjd's Avatar

Hello Merlin

You kindly extended an invitation to us "jazzers" over on that other thread - SOTW Post A Recording.... to visit. So first off, I'll return the favor to any who would like to post up a jazz clip. Now, I am intriqued by the idea of posting classical - and curious - are there midi backings out there for classical? I'm listening to Merlin's Albinini - which sounds like a soprano - but in places so much like a flute that its hard to tell (and I mean that as a compliment). Assuming it wasn't live, where did the backing come from? Is there a classical repertoire for sax - especially other than soprano - the weakest member of my quartet of horns? I'm not sure that I could play with the rigor required in counting, etc., but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Of course, I play bari primarily - so I suppose I would have to look at bassoon music? Would a Paquito D'Rivera tune pass muster as at least semi-classical? Anyway, great idea. And please do feel free to join us over on the jazz thread. My equipment, clips, etc., can be found on my website. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rcwjd
    Now, I am intriqued by the idea of posting classical - and curious - are there midi backings out there for classical? I'm listening to Merlin's Albinini - which sounds like a soprano - but in places so much like a flute that its hard to tell (and I mean that as a compliment). Assuming it wasn't live, where did the backing come from?
    The cuts I've posted are in fact live. The pianist on the tracks I've posted so far is Ellen Meyer, who I've done concerts with here in Toronto.

There are some old Music Minus One backing recordings available, and there may be some MIDI things around. Another option is the backing tracks that have been produced by Coda music....the SmartMusic accompaniment series, IIRC.

Give me a few days to figure out how to post my mp3's through my ISP.

Here's a file featuring the playing of paulwl, posted at his request. Paul is playing a Rondo by Singelee on tenor:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/merlinwilliams/paulwl.mp3

Thanks to both of you for that. I'm liking this thread a lot. I hope more people will join and share.

Alan

Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contributor 2010 EZ's Avatar

Anyone know how I can post files for download from AOL? Otherwise, I could email an .mp3 directly to you. I have Mussorgsky's "The Old Castle" currently. Others in the works.

ez_sax, my e-mail is:

saxology990@hotmail.com

I would be interested in hearing you play Mussorgsky's 'The Old Castle'
    Sincerely, your local Lame Alto Busker

Default Improvisation in the style of Paganini

This was a little something I did to convince a violinist friend that we, saxophonists, are capable of doing this convincingly (at least I hope).

www.geocities.com/markal36/improv1.mp3

Ooops, let's try this again. Geocities seems to have a policy of not allowing files to be accessed from boards. Well, follow this link and you'll hear my attempt (I call it an "Improvisation in the Style of Paganini") to convince a violinist friend that we can play this stuff too. You'll hear it as the background music.

www.geocities.com/markal36

Page 1 of 30 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast