P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Solo Changes

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Solo Changes

I love the head of this tune. Do most players use the real book changes during solos or is there a different set. I only ask because the changes work beautifully with the melody but a bit Chordy for a lack of a better word particularly the first measure.

Tenor - '61 Mark VI w/Tenney Slant Tone Edge 7
    Altos - '60 & '66 Mark VI w/Meyer 6M/Caravan
    Soprano - JDS (unknown origin) w/Tenney Tone Edge 6
    Clarinet - '68 Buffet R13 w/Richard Hawkins

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Solo Changes

We recorded a version of this tune for our website a year or so ago. I recall I had been a bit under the weather, and having not played in a while was having a rough go of it while getting the solo track down. As it was for promotional purposes (meaning mostly for non-musicians), I really didn't want to load it up with a bunch of out there jazz licks; just wanted to keep it simple and straight. Well, as I said, I was having a rough go of it until I just shut the book and closed my eyes and went at it. So my advice would be not to overthink it.

You can hear our version here: www.harborcats.com

Forum Contributor 2007

The way I've most often played the tune is to have the extra ascending / descending rhythm section chords in measures 1 + 3 ONLY during the heads, not the solos (some books don't include descending changes in bar 3). So the first 4 bars for solos (in concert key) are: | Cmaj7 | Cmaj7 | A7 | A7 | . Again, this is the way I've most often played it, would be interested in other's experience.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by A Greene View Post
    I love the head of this tune. Do most players use the real book changes during solos or is there a different set. I only ask because the changes work beautifully with the melody but a bit Chordy for a lack of a better word particularly the first measure.
    I just play the major pentatonic (with a flat 3 appogiatura) over it until I get to the fourth bar, where I play V7b9/ii. Bars 5, 6, 7 is just ii-V7-I -- that's simple enough. You go the right idea though. Don't try to play all those passing chords.

this is what I am thinking when I solo on it:

D6 % % B7b9
    Em A7 D A7 : ||
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Here are the solo backing chords to the version linked by Grumps above (concert key)

Cmaj7 / / / | Dm / Ebm / | Em / / / | A7 / / / | Dm / / / | G7 / / / |C6 / / / | G7 / / / |

similar to hgiles post above (he transcribed for tenor) with the ascending chords and no descending chords. Note the change in rhythmic pattern for the ascending chords versus the head. Every pro keyboard and bass player we have played with knew this version without question.
    1952 The Martin Tenor Silver - RPC 110R
    1928 Buescher TT Soprano (straight) - Selmer Super Session H

The Corsicans Website
    My Solo Website

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar

The original name of this tune is "Never No Lament". Recorded by Ellington with Johnny Hodges as featured soloist. The original key is Db. Please listen to the original Ellington version and use those changes. Use your ears to figure it out. The more you use your ears, the better musician you will become. The more you rely on fake books and sheet music, the longer it will take to develop your skills.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

We routinely butcher tunes for the masses.
    In fact, Bill Bailey is rolling over in his grave...

I play it pretty straight

Cmaj7 / / / | Em / / / | A7 / / / | A7 / / / | Am7 / D7 / | G7 / / / |C6 / / / | G7 / / / |

You pretty much have to play to to A7 in this version, but the Yofis/Grumps version you could play just the C major scale (which would be pretty boring).

Forum Contributor 2014 patmiller's Avatar

I agree that keeping it simple is the key. You don't need to play all those passing chords, although you can startle people with your brilliance if occasionally you do zip through them at a rate of knots.

The most important change is from the I to the VI. That's the one that defines it, like in My Blue Heaven.
    Pleasing everyone is impossible; pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Hey, Patmiller, you must be a geezer like me since you know My Blue Heaven. I play almost all trad jazz with a little bit of swing.