P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: OLD OLD Buffet Thumbplate oboes

Forum Contributor 2012

Default OLD OLD Buffet Thumbplate oboes

Hi, I'm actually a flute/sax/clarinet player. I've been interested in beginning the oboe too, but could not find an instrument I could use. Just a few days ago, a guy who usually repairs my sax acquired two oboes from a retired musician and sold them to me. They were identical Buffet Crampon Wooden Oboes. From the research I have done, they are thumbplate models, grenadilla with silverplated brass keywork, and have a Low Bb with resonance key. The octave key is semi automatic (not linked to the G key). The bells are without metal rings.

The two oboes are identical but the serial numbers are 2739 and 2742 (only 3 apart).

The 2742 has a hairline in the bell (should be inconsequential to the tone, as I've found on the clarinet). I would be interested in knowing what kind of value and quality this model instrument possesses. They appear very very well made. I checked all the keys, and the action is very light even on the low notes.

Eventually I will probably end up selling the 2742, as I do not require two identical instruments.

If anyone has any information for me or advice, I would be glad to hear from you.

The PICTURES of the instruments have been uploaded here:

http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/t...ampon%20Oboes/

Please note ALL the close up pictures are of 2742. The 2739 is never pictured alone.

My guess is these are at least 30 to 40 years old.

Thanks

Default Re: OLD OLD Buffet Thumbplate oboes

These are full conservatory system oboes (modern standard keywork, not anything old or weird) I bet they will play great if you can get them in tip top shape. Unfortunately, old wooden instruments do not hold value, where I am at you would be lucky to get $1000 or so for one of those, maybe a bit more if it played undeniably great. There is no question these oboes will play much better than modern student models though, so either way it would be a good instrument for a student.

Forum Contributor 2012

Thanks for the info!
    Why do you say they don't hold value though? Isn't Buffet one of the top oboe manufacturers?
    Not that I mean to debate your opinion, I'm only asking you to elaborate because I would have thought the older the wood ages, the better it resonates. I can definitely say that my old Buffet clarinet which most probably dates from around the same time or older, sounds positively gorgeous. There's a sweet richness to the sound that just can't be had on a Yamaha! However I confess I am not aware of oboes, I just assumed the principle would be the same.
    Cheers

The common opinion is that wooden instruments "blow out", that the moisture cycle caused by continuous playing eventually warps the bore. Whether this is true or not is up for debate but the fact is that wooden instruments (including clarinets) decrease in value from the moment you buy them and continue to decrease over time. It doesn't mean they won't play well, just that they aren't worth as much.

Distinguished SOTW Technician Chris Peryagh's Avatar

These oboes were made for Buffet by Schreiber (who also made the Evette, B12 and E11 clarinets for Buffet) and will have a plastic lined bore in the upper and lower joint. They're nothing special - they're probably around 25-30 years old and are still being made now but have the body profile more like that of the pro Buffet oboes (which are made by Buffet) than the pretty utilitarian look of these older ones. You will find identical oboes stamped with the Schreiber logo as well.

The keywork on these isn't full conservatoire system, but a far more basic version - they're lower to intermediate level instruments. Compare them with a pro model Buffet which has full Gillet conservatoire oboe and you'll see what's missing: http://www.howarth.uk.com/pic.aspx?p....jpg&pid=35230
    ... and more pro oboes besides: http://www.howarth.uk.com/products.a...=17&filter=174

If any Buffets don't say 'Made in France' on them, they're not made in France. Here's the current lineup of Buffet oboes (the top four pro instruments are Buffets, the rest are Schreiber) http://www.buffet-crampon.com/en/ins...ctsList&cid=11 and Schreiber ones http://www.schreiberwinds.com/Oboe_WS7060.asp
    F*** the notes, go for the tone!