Sax on the Web Forum banner

454,XXX Super 20 Club

19K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  zootspiker 
#1 ·
Seems the 454,XXX King Super 20 serial number range comes up quite often when you see these horns mentioned on this site. Including my Silversonic tenor, I've seen at least a half dozen horns in this range as a topic of discussion here over the last couple of years. So who else has a horn within this range, or had one at one time? Really dig mine, and it compares quite favorably to the ones I've tried that were made earlier in Cleveland.

#41 ·
I play a 415xxx Cleveland and a 464xxx Eastlake. In a dark room I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. I'm selling a 385xxx. My repairman of nearly 40 years thinks it may be the best sounding and playing one he's ever had in his shop. He thinks I'm nuts.

#48 ·
This is hilarious. I've got a "magic" 454xxx Super 20 alto that has been blowing my mind so much that I did the "454 king super 20" google search and found this. I'm glad I'm not alone! So here's the phenomenon -- it almost seems like this horn has "turbo" or something. There is a resonant frequency thing that this horn hits that makes the whole f'n thing seem like it's got an extra boost right as you think it's about to max out. Mine works particularly well with a Brilhart Hard Rubber 5 - this mouthpiece sounds kind of dead on other horns, but with the "turbo boost," it's a perfect match for this horn. I've owned about a dozen super 20 altos in my day and none of them did this thing like the 454. It's not a myth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.