Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar

Default Re: Saxaholic's Official Review: Barone Classic vs. Barone Vintage - TENORS!

Quote Originally Posted by tjaart View Post
    US$1 = 0.72 euro cents. Uk still on pounds.
    Okay, thank you. Now what exactly do that mean? The dollar is stronger, right? I read that one of the countries, maybe it was Germany was going back to their original currency. Does anyone know? Phil
    Last edited by kcp; 06-23-2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: title modified

Distinguished SOTW Member bfoster64's Avatar

Default Re: Saxaholic's Official Review: Barone Classic vs. Barone Vintage - TENORS!

Pretty sure all the EU countries have adopted the Euro except for England. There has been much talk lately about whether Greece will need to abandon the Euro and return to its own currency. That would allow it to inflate its currency to diminish the impact of its debt, rather than accepting savage economic austerity measures and staying with the Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Barone View Post
    Okay, thank you. Now what exactly do that mean? The dollar is stronger, right? I read that one of the countries, maybe it was Germany was going back to their original currency. Does anyone know? Phil
    No, you can buy more dollars using less Euros, so if something costs US$1000 it will only cost 720 euro, but I don't know how easy it is to earn a thousand dollars compared to 720 euros. Dunno about any country going back to its original currency.

I've got some clips of Barone horns, mostly bari, but also the Classic tenor on my youtube channel. Keep in mind, I am no pro by a long shot, just a late-bloomin hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrosax View Post
    I wish I could see some videos of these horns in action...such a waste that there is NONE that I know of(there is one, but it doesn't really do the Barone justice...)

Come on Barone owners--Make some vids or sound clips at the least...I wanna hear these horns...
    Last edited by kcp; 06-23-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: title modified

I know this is an old thread but I just now had a chance to read through it. I never compared these two horns (classic vs.vintage) because when I ordered mine, I knew what I wanted . I also own a yts82z and 50's conn10m tenor. The yamaha (to me) is still a great horn but I like a darker horn overall. The vintage Barone gives me that and more. With mouthpiece and reed choice, as someone posted above, you can brighten up the sound without getting too bright. After playing it a while in my current band, my bandmates, when asked, said they liked my Barone better than the z. Coming thru the mic in a fairly loud band, the Barone comes out much better without being overly bright and I can still shape the sounds on this horn to get what I need. And Phils' included hard rubber piece is a very good mpc, for that link Hard rubber vibe. I don't use it in my current band , but I still want to explore it more at some point.
    Last edited by kcp; 06-23-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: title modified

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123