P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Lester Young's Dolnet Tenor

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Lester Young's Dolnet Tenor

It's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum that Lester Young had a Dolnet tenor. I haven't been able to find any reference to the fact that Dave Pell currently owns and plays it. Dave talks about it in an interview. Dave was close to Lee, Lester's brother, who left it to Dave when he died in 2008 on the condition that Dave would leave it to Lee's children when Dave died.

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar

Default Re: Lester Young's Dolnet Tenor

I don't know anything about Prez's Dolnet. Everyone knows that Don Byas played on when he moved to Europe. Prez played a gold-plate Conn and also had a 10m w/o rolled tone holes that he gave to Paul Quinichette. That horn is now owned and played by NYC saxophonist Dan Block. Naturally, Prez could have had several horns like many of us but I've never seen any photos of him with the Dolnet.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarrySachs View Post
    I don't know anything about Prez's Dolnet. Everyone knows that Don Byas played on when he moved to Europe. Prez played a gold-plate Conn and also had a 10m w/o rolled tone holes that he gave to Paul Quinichette. That horn is now owned and played by NYC saxophonist Dan Block. Naturally, Prez could have had several horns like many of us but I've never seen any photos of him with the Dolnet.
    Here you go:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/l...lnetlester.jpg
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

Distinguished SOTW Member mascio's Avatar

Thanks for the link to the Dave Pell interview. i really enjoyed it.
    Swing hard Daddy-O