Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lester Young's Dolnet Tenor

It's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum that Lester Young had a Dolnet tenor. I haven't been able to find any reference to the fact that Dave Pell currently owns and plays it. Dave talks about it in an interview. Dave was close to Lee, Lester's brother, who left it to Dave when he died in 2008 on the condition that Dave would leave it to Lee's children when Dave died.

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lester Young's Dolnet Tenor

I don't know anything about Prez's Dolnet. Everyone knows that Don Byas played on when he moved to Europe. Prez played a gold-plate Conn and also had a 10m w/o rolled tone holes that he gave to Paul Quinichette. That horn is now owned and played by NYC saxophonist Dan Block. Naturally, Prez could have had several horns like many of us but I've never seen any photos of him with the Dolnet.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BarrySachs View Post
    I don't know anything about Prez's Dolnet. Everyone knows that Don Byas played on when he moved to Europe. Prez played a gold-plate Conn and also had a 10m w/o rolled tone holes that he gave to Paul Quinichette. That horn is now owned and played by NYC saxophonist Dan Block. Naturally, Prez could have had several horns like many of us but I've never seen any photos of him with the Dolnet.
    Here you go:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/l...lnetlester.jpg
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

Distinguished SOTW Member mascio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link to the Dave Pell interview. i really enjoyed it.
    Swing hard Daddy-O

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SactoPete View Post
    Wow, that's beautiful, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to return to open a new threah, this post is probably my way of continuing speaking about another related topic, without the need to create a new thread ... this is a long history... After credit been reading a lot of information with regard to what it is commented in this thread, the quantity done biographical confirmed on Lester Young's life, from 1936, up to near his death in 1959, they do that he thinks that there is information here reflected that is slightly a bit doubtful, and I refer concretely:
    Lester seems i was playing a Conn 10m from the initial period already in the 40s .Some people say that the change of saxophone happens in the moment USA.ARMY calls Lester in 1944.
    But when the available record of photos is studied, if I do not get confused, it seems that he begins to show already in some public appearances with one 10m before the year 44.
    I can add also, that Lester does not seem to change from 10m to another model, exceptp only when finally they change Dolnet, near his death. Personally, I have doubt serious it brings over of the idea Lester it has played one not-RTH, and if he really ownded one, that non-rth it might not be in any situation, his principal 10m, that one used from beginning of the years 40's until middle of 55, and difficultly that has been any of his mains saxes,if that idea of non-RTH it´s as told here. Think too ,not saw any b iographical reference about any change in his horns that could suggest that,a change ,or second 10m horn.
    Finally, as subjective comment, for my opinion,that change to another 10m not have much sense, if there is not promoted by some serious incident, and there isn´t at first such thing reflected on his Bio´s texts.

-I ´ve reading about all that question much this days, and for my surprise, that concept claims Paul Quinichette could have owned Lester´s 10m is quite a lot extended for what i saw, to the point people directly talks about next owner of that conn, Dan Block,sax player from NY, as the very much possible current owner of Pres horn., or at least, it is attributed his COnn 10m it´s from same serial number range,or same production year as Lester´s one.Sure i don´t know what it´s that serial number range,and not too,who have official information about that serial number range,but maybe the information about that is wrong in some way.
    And I think too , if that is clearly assumed, could be very extrange to the eyes of any fan of Lester's ,simply because that historical incompatibility(sure if really we are talking about non RTH 10m),and then, ultimately, in a completely personal and subjective way again,having present life and personality of Lester, especially his personality, obsesions, fears ,.....thinking on that is well known his depressed mood and physical failling,that finally directed him, with alcohol abuse, to death ,.......was directly related to had the painfull vision ,of all that tons of imitators playing reproducing his style, and see how they gradually started stealing his place , getting more succes than Lester .
    It will be hard to believe idea of Lester giving one of his saxophones exactly to one of that Fake Lester´s,and not anyone,...if not possiby the most recognized one.
    Taking also into mind , there is no data of any special relationship between the two musicians,to suggest such an act of friendship from Lester , if Lester gave him the horn, and like there is no reference too about that.,after his death or before ,i have not clear if Lester really wanted to do that and for what reason.
    .Sure, it´s said that Lester called Quinichette "Lady Q" ,as some king of joke related to Billie,and to me is quite obvious possibly what represented Paul to him,and thinking sure on complex humor sense Pres seems had allways liked to use.But repeat,only by simply opinion.Not known at all how was that relatioship because i don´t see where is reflected.
    That thing possibly would not be enough ,but if you think Paul Quinichette just ended occupying the site of Lester Young in the orchestra of Basie, to the point of imitating the ways of Lester, and then receiving very good recognition for how well they learned to replicate Lester´s style and body language, and just thinking Lester fall starts slowly that years, I probably could say,one can hardly could imagine Lester having really much affection for Paul, or enough to gave him one of his saxophones,in the way only very deep friends could use to do.
    Adding ,possibly too, hardly Lester´s family members ,after his death ,would have desire of doing that ,knowing only a little about lester´s fears and obsesions,and with sense about who was Paul Qunichette at that moment.I repeat this is completely subjective, but certainly understandable in the eyes of anyone,but only a simply deduction

Instead, it´s a real documented,and very well known,Lester had a very strong friendship those years,and could easily have been so much deep to him, as to be place or reason of a possible changue on his saxophone.Sure i don´t read anything about this, only result of observation.
    i think in this case could be possible,but maybe in the opposite way.
    I´m talking about the suddenly death of his well known good friend, and music stand partner, Herschel Evans, which occurs in 39, and about all people acordinly say, affected Lester too much , to the point that,after paid his rent arrears, hospital and funeral of their own pocket, Lester appears in the next band rehearsal, loaded with a full bag, where he kept all Evans clothes and belongings , and of course,holding in his hand Evans´s sax case ,one that had his initials ,HE, on one side. (that moment it´s documented very clear in Lester BIOS ) .He continued remebering him , in memoriam of his friend ,doing things like remained several day after Evan´s death,playing in the style of his good friend , and even stoping playing his score parts to play Evans ones, and seemed, according to testimony from some other members of band, had a stronge desire to prevent band members keep in memory his friend figure,not wanted was lost of their minds ahead of time ..
    Personally,i see more easy to believe things like that . I see much more likely Lester start playing or switch to play with Evan´s sax , that if I am not mistaken is a 10m, as a frienship symbolic act to his friend and rest of band, posibly not advertised by much people if was some similar conn model.

FInally,one could make some possibly relation too, between the fact that Herchel Evans´s death was directly related with his sax,described as really near or in direct contact with it´s body,like seems it´s was found on his room lying with his sax ,and another sites claims as direct collapse by heart attack on a show,but both versions,made possible that horn could have suffered some bad damage ,so maybe could too explain,reason about why Lester apears later with a heavy damaged bell conn 10m ,with no signs of been a too much used or old instrument.
    I prefer not put image here,but you can find very easyly that photo from Les and his horn,and see his sax it´s perfectly fine all over,but unexpicably, have really serious damages on bottom of bell,high zone,and bell ring.MOre likely the zones a sax stand holds the bell.
    That had to be very much noticiable to audience,and possibly, not rest of members and so.....so maybe, he had a good reason or firm excuse to let him show up playing that ugly horn.
    That´s only a subjetive opinion and imagination product,but if i need to choose,this one will more probable,than one about Les letting his sax to Quinichette by own desire.

PD:i have read too Dave Peel´s interview some days ago,and see he was directly implied on on transfer of Les horn stuff by Lee Youngs.,like see there´s no reference or notice about the 10m.Then i suposse family was not inrelation possibly with moment 10m was transfered to Paul in theory,so then,if it was true,must be done by Les in his own,and then i repeat my doubts about that could be happen easily.So like i see there is not any advice about the 10m prior o after Les death,the transfer must be happened back in time,supossed way possible,the time exactly hi changes to the Dolnet,and seems some claims Les don´t have much love for Dolnet as being a endorser symbol,maybe will play it mainly only when had to do because no other chance,like his 10m was already on another hands.An then maybe could happen near last travel to Europe few weeks before his dead in NY after comeback in March 1959,or who knows

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What?
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gobbledygook

...as that generated by a translation program, unfortunately jaferpe “ command" of the English language, as we’ve seen before on the other thread that he started some time ago, is such that he is compelled to use a translator and what then he writes is, unfortunately but surely, all jumbled by a translation program resulting into some incomprehensible writing, even more so because not separated in paragraphs.

I can just about make what he means, but it is by no means intelligible.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep,as b-flat said,known by me actually as "what?man" ,and you milandro,what i ´ve wrote it´s almost hardly comprehensible by me .
    I´m bad at english,but make it worse ,with Mr. Google translator.
    Will try to correct text a little ,or at least,yeah,using paragraphs.wish can make it something with minimal sense.
    Sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good wish... but I suppose it is only a which.

woes is who and which is wish.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not just write your thoughts in Spanish? Then at least some of the world would understand.
    Never too old to learn!
    Tenors: Selmer Mark VI #124XXX
    Tenor Madness M'Lady #0003X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive.../t-153384.html

As per paragraph 3 of the forum rules, at the very least the bulk of the post, are to be published in English only.

The forum has a French section, not a Spanish one.

“...3. ENGLISH ONLY

The French-language-only forum is the only category where non-English posts will be allowed. Because the SOTW staff is composed of English speakers, and thus can't screen posts in languages they don't speak..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive.../t-153384.html

As per paragraph 3 of the forum rules, at the very least the bulk of the post, are to be published in English only.

The forum has a French section, not a Spanish one.

“...3. ENGLISH ONLY

The French-language-only forum is the only category where non-English posts will be allowed. Because the SOTW staff is composed of English speakers, and thus can't screen posts in languages they don't speak..."

Sorry!!!
    Never too old to learn!
    Tenors: Selmer Mark VI #124XXX
    Tenor Madness M'Lady #0003X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no reason to be, forum rules are often not known even among those who have been here much longer than you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to write again text the best way i know ,but sure possibly will not see much improvement.
    Maybe,some friend of mine i´ve seen posting here latelly,that really is good at english,could help me to explain text better.
    Sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jaferpe it is not a problem or your fault that you have modest command of the English language ( my Spanish is also not great) but, when you post, you should really try to make your point in few, clear, points while you try to write long pieces and unfortunately trip over your own words.

Before you learn to run you need to learn to walk. ( use a spell checker and the dictionary, on most computers you have one connected to the words and you can highlight a word and find the meaning of each word and at the same time check the spelling...)

If you can’t run, maybe you can walk, slowly perhaps, but we all go though life at our own pace.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Administrator note:

Quote Originally Posted by jaferpe View Post
    Not to return to open a new threah, this post is probably my way of continuing speaking about another related topic, without the need to create a new thread ...
    As I've explained ad nauseum, as long as you don't post Getty Image copyrighted material in your thread, which you did before in the removed thread, your writings on this and Dexter Gordon won't be removed. For the benefit of others reading this, Getty Images is particularly aggressive about instigating legal action against those who use their materials without expressed permission.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    jaferpe it is not a problem or your fault that you have modest command of the English language ( my Spanish is also not great)
    Drats! I was going to PM you Andre, and ask if perhaps you could help translate. I know that you speak quite a few languages.
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can confirm this.

Getty images immediately threaten with legal action and they mean it.

I also like to illustrate my posts and yes, some images might be copyrighted, but when there is a clear watermark of a company that sells pictures the ONLY way is to NOT use that material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SAXISMYAXE View Post
    Drats! I was going to PM you Andre, and ask if perhaps you could help translate. I know that you speak quite a few languages.

I speak a bit of Spanish but I know my limits and interpreting the thoughts of jaferpe might just go a little past my daily share of mind-twisters ... I could give it a shot but I seriously think that the problem is not so much a language one but one which has to do with how one organizes his thoughts and I suspect that we greatly differ in this.

Perhaps Jazz is All will oblige!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast