Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Dave Guardala Tenor Sax

Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice from this forum.

I have a Dave Guardala saxophone that I'm looking to sell, and to be honest I don't know where to begin. I've done a ton of research online, and basically all I've found is that Dave Guardala was a big scam-artist, but that he made good products. I'm relatively sure that my sax is a DAVE GUARDALA TENOR SAXOPHONE DG-500SP, its silver plated, has "New York, USA" engraved on the bell, and is still a beautiful instrument. The serial number is 00709.

I bought the sax about 8 years ago, and it had one user before me. I played and took excellent care of it for about 3 years, and its basically been sitting in my closet since then. I'd love to try to pick it back up, but I'm in law school now and I just simply don't have the time. I'm hoping that it can help me pay for some tuition and maybe an engagement ring (that's scary for me to say).

Basically, does anyone know what this sax might be worth? I live in the DC area, are there any well know reputable music shops that anyone could recommend I take it to? I just want to make sure I get the full value of this instrument, and that it finds some better use than sitting in a closet. Thanks for any help!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Dave Guardala Tenor Sax

If you're experienced with Ebay, that would be your best bet. A shop is not going to give you as good of a price. What you have is bascially a B&S stencil made in Germany.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

I bought my B&S for a couple grand plus,(Medusa) my guess on yours would be between between $1,500 - $2,000

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

Hey man -- can I give some advice you don't want? Keep it.

I also put down my horn in law school, and didn't play for my first few years of practice. But round about my 3rd year out, married, with little kids, I found a desperate need to do something for me as a hobby. And yeah, I'm a trial lawyer at a reasonably large firm, etc, so I've got all the same pressures you will. But it was very important to have 1 hour here and there to just work on scales, or learn a song, or ??

These days, its not just a hobby -- its a part of my business. I meet tremendous area small business owners on the bandstand at blues clubs. Playing gives me "something interesting" to talk about at cocktail parties, and makes those chit-chat social moments waaaay more interesting. Yeah, it was hard to rebuild chops, but I've generated very real legal clients and amazing contacts from it.

Keep the tenor. Set it down as long as you need. Then, pick it up, learn to play your King Curtis blues or bop or whatever, and go find the open jams in your town. You really can use music as part of your legal career.

Feel free to hit me a pm to discuss law school strategies, job searches, legal careers, or anything else I can help with.

Or, ignore me! I'm not offended. If so, good luck with your sale and engagement.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
    I bought my B&S for a couple grand plus,(Medusa) my guess on yours would be between between $1,500 - $2,000
    Here's one currently for sale on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUARDALA-Tenor-S...item5adcaaa6a6

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar

This is the wrong forum, but current market value is $1500-2000. There is a B&S medussa for sale in the classifieds here for $1500 still. I see optimists holding out for more than a couple of grand for guardallas, but they very seldom sell for that.

Unless you really need the money Id say keep it too.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar

I have to agree with My Martin, keep the horn, it don't care if it's sitting in a closet or being played. Back in the early 80's I had a nice Mark VI - around '86 I sold it, family was young, had more things to do that time to play... well, 20 years later I found I had PLENTY of time to start playing again... but no horn. Better to keep it, have it there in when you do have more time.
    More stuff than I need, less than I want.