P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Early Babbitt Otto Link STM Bari Sax Mouthpiece $300

Default Early Babbitt Otto Link STM Bari Sax Mouthpiece $300

I tried to sell this mouthpiece earlier this year, and had no luck. So, it's back on the chopping block. $300 bucks and it's yours.

This is a used Otto Link Super Tone Master 6* for Bari Sax. This mouthpiece dates from the 70's, and is an early Babbitt production piece. It has the typical "denim" markings" on the table which you can see in the photos, and are characteristic of the early Babbitts. Some time ago, I sent these photos to Theo Wanne at Mouthpiece Heaven, and he agreed that, in his opinion, this is from the first run of true Babbitt pieces. (Please understand that Theo in no way is endorsing this sale, it was just his opinion.) I searched out his advice because according to his website, the places in which the facing and U.S.A. are stamped, it doesn't necessarily jive with other early Babbitts.

This mouthpiece is is great condition. To the best of my knowledge, it has never been worked on. There is the typical loss of gold plating, but everything else is great. It comes with the original mouthpiece cap and ligature. I purchased this used in 1993, and I have only used it a half dozen times since. It is very free blowing, with an even tone across all registers. It think this would also be an excellent piece to have opened up by a good re-facer.

I accept Paypal only, and will ship UPS ground free of charge (from Los Angeles), unless a different method is preferred by the customer. (Additional shipping charges will apply if buyer prefers expedited shipping.)

Thanks for looking,
    Tom

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...M/PB070001.jpg

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Early Babbitt Otto Link STM Bari Sax Mouthpiece $300

This is definitely an early babbitt model bari.

Forum Contributor 2007

What prompted you to buy this in 1993? Did I miss something?

Yo, Ving: I played Bari at the U of M for a few semesters when I was in school there.

Forum Contributor 2007

"Ah, did not know that..." (with the inflection of Johnny Carson).