P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Barrel pickup

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

Default Barrel pickup

Hello

I'm going to connect one of those pickups to my clarinet barrel and possibly bass clarinet neck too. I narrowed it down to a few options and I know it's pretty unlikely, but any chance anyone compared more than one type?

Just about all samples are of Turkish style players and although getting a natrual clarinet tone is not at all the reason I'm getting this, I prefer to judge quality this way. With a Turkish clarinet tone it's hard to say what's the player/setup and what's the pickup.

The options are Pasoana http://pasoana.com/ which sounds pretty much ok in their samples.

TAP http://www.tap.com.gr/index.php?opti...mid=31&lang=en which some of their samples sound ok too (TC-R and NANO-R are main options).

PT100PV http://gtc-music1.com/store/index.ph...products_id=47 which I've heard both ok and terrible sound samples.

When I asked on another forum I got tons of replies not to use this and instead use a microphone or a clip on mic. So maybe best to mention that I already use dynamic and/or condenser microphones sometimes. I also have AMT microphones, both the single one and the double one specific to clarinet, which I use sometimes too. I've tried other clip on mics from Shure, AKG. None of these options is good enough for what I need the barrel pickup for.

Thanks.

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

Default Re: Barrel pickup

What are you going to use it for?
    I only ask because I used to use a system called C-Ducer, which had a pickup that fitted under the ligature. A small blob of adhesive tack was used to couple the pickup to the reed.
    Compared to the response of my ATM Roam it's chalk and cheese - but what it was very good for was for absolutely no feedback on a monitor and as a signal provider for effects units.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

Yes I want to play with effect pedals and with electric instruments (guitar, bass, synth) on a pretty loud stage, experimetal and/or rock music sort of. But I also don't want the regular amplified sound to be terrible. I heard some pickups don't sound like a clarinet at all, actually I tried one that sounded exactly like a synth, but it was an especially bad one I sort of made myself from a small mic I had. It's hard to choose when the samples are of different players and recording equipment/enviorment.

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

I suspect you might end up doing what I did, which was to use both a transducer (for foldback and effects) and a mic (for out-of-front sound). There's obviously going to be a mix out front, but with some careful setting up of the effects gain you can arrange it so that when the sound is unaltered the mic carries the most sound, and when the effects are used the transducer's output rises.
    It's a bit of a lash-up, but it does mean you don't have to be quite so bothered about the quality of the pickup.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual