P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: different color saxophone lacquer

Default different color saxophone lacquer

is it possible to get your saxophone re-lacquered in a different color besides the usual gold color? like is there a way to mix coloring into the lacquer?

Default Re: different color saxophone lacquer

you can get black, you can get a custom vintage patina, you can get a reddish tint, you can get silver or gold plated. Many options
    “Music is the universal language of mankind.” -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

[T] Conn 10m [A] Conn New Wonder II Art Deco [S] Conn New Wonder II curved

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Remtiwguod View Post
    is it possible to get your saxophone re-lacquered in a different color besides the usual gold color? like is there a way to mix coloring into the lacquer?
    It's possible but not easy these days to find a good lacquerer for saxophones. It used to common practice to relacquer instruments, but not so much these days as the lacquer lasts longer than it used to, and some people believe that relacquering affects the sound. Or rather, the process of buffing the metal to get prepared for relacquering.

interesting. I was thinking about getting my tenor re-lacquered green because it's my favorite color haha

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Remtiwguod View Post
    interesting. I was thinking about getting my tenor re-lacquered green because it's my favorite color haha
    Don't do it. I don't know what kind of horn you have but if it's worth anything, it'll be worth far less if you get a relac, especially in green.

The one thing that might be worth doing is to get it silver-plated. Does the horn need an overhaul? It will have to be taken completely apart to change the finish in any case, so not worth doing without an overhaul.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

If you must, think about Doc Frazier on this site. He certainly has some inventive finishes going.

http://members.tripod.com/jandj_woodwinds/id3.html
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Silver Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8

2000-something Yamaha YTS-475 (backup tenor) -- TW Durga 8

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

I have heard mixed opinions on re-lacquering saxes. Unless it is necessary, you are probably better of not re-lacquering though. If you dig the color green, I would just finder a lesser sax and have it lacquered green. Or, make everyone in the audience wear green tented glasses.

Cheers

www.ReedsForLess.com

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Relacquering certainly has its critics, and the general consensus is to not -- particularly if it's a valuable horn such as a Mark VI. I don't personally believe it affects the tone, but it clearly can affect the mechanics by the buffing process removing metal from keys and posts that can prove to be problematic for a tech trying to get the slop out of the mechanism.

That said, I haven't had any real problems with my refinished horns, but then I don't relacquer, but rather have them plated. I think you get one chance at refinishing one of these and a cared for plated finish should last the life of the horn, whereas, lacquer certainly has a limited life expectancy -- even tucked away in the closet.
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

I say, if it ain't actually broke, then don't fix it! Never heard of anyone actually improving their horn's sound quality by lacquering.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Lacquering or delacquering won't do anything to the sound of your saxophone ........but sound was not of any concern to the OP so why even go there?
    Value is in the eye of the beholder, nobody in his right mind would paint a saxophone green to appeal more people and sell it on better, it is common sense that it won't........but the OP didn't ask for that either.

Relacquering a saxophone is not a common job these days but many techs, especially in the States, still do that, most of the work is in the prepping of the horn: so removing lacquer, fixing everything that needs fixing and then having it lacquered, there are several threads on a DIY approach to this.

One can add any kind of colour to lacquer as it was done in the past and it is still done nowadays. Take your pick, there is no limit to your imagination.

You can also use this chance to have your horn personalised with some serious engravings. Have fun........

Value, shmalue....jeez...in most cases we are talking about a difference in the cash you spend yearly on soda or junk food.
    I've always wanted to see a horn with white lacquer and embedded glass mirrors...like a disco ball. Now that would be cool.
    1952 The Martin Tenor Silver - RPC 110R
    1928 Buescher TT Soprano (straight) - Selmer Super Session H

The Corsicans Website
    My Solo Website

my sax is blue. So much laquer has come off that it just looks a big mess though, and I've only had it two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Yofis View Post
    Value, shmalue....jeez...in most cases we are talking about a difference in the cash you spend yearly on soda or junk food.
    I've always wanted to see a horn with white lacquer and embedded glass mirrors...like a disco ball. Now that would be cool.
    I think you should have your avatar engraved in one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUCB View Post
    my sax is blue. So much laquer has come off that it just looks a big mess though, and I've only had it two years.
    90% is the prep work. If it wasn't done well, then 90% of the lacquer will come off in 2 years.

Imagine a bright neon pink sax with purple hearts everywhere... or maybe a rainbow sax... so many possibilities.
    Don't B flat. Don't B sharp. Just B natural.