Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

Default What the heck is this???? Scam???

I just received this email. Anybody have any idea what this is? Normally, I'd just delete it, but I am expecting a sax shipped from the US.

USPS OFFICE AUTHORITY
    P.O BOX 55, NEW YORK NY, 10116-0555
    MAIL TO:SERVICE@POST.COM

This is to notify you that we have intercepted your parcel from DHL/UPS courier service from delivering the parcel to you for security reasons as stated below.

1. Our scanning system detected your parcel containing a confirmable
    ATM CARD.
    Before the parcel could be delivered, you are obliged to obtain A Duly Sworn Affidavit from the Spanish High Court in Spain to back up the the origin of the Parcel,this is in line with the Anti Terrorist Campaign due to the Law Implemented by government of United States of America to protect and reduce the terrorist activities.

We kindly advice you to contact the agent in Madrid, Spain to get the Sworn Affidavit for you. Please note that the cost of the Sworn Affidavit costs only $158 which must paid by the receiver of the parcel.Below is the contact details of the agent in charge. He will advice you on how the payment should be made so please contact him immediately you receive this notification.

Name: Mr Aaron Winston
    Email:aaronwinston@gala.net
    Tel:0034 639 032 542

We shall forward the card to you as soon as we receive the Duly Sworn Affidavit, we are doing this to secure your interest considering the credit card frauds and stolen cheque which brings problem to American citizens all around the world.

Your prompt response is most higly desired to terminate the delivering of your parcel.

Mr William R Gillian
    Chief Postal Inspection Service.
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Default Re: What the heck is this???? Scam???

http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?t=31455

Ignore! Just bad timing, haha.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

It is a new scam going around. I've gotten a few of these.

Forum Contributor 2013 Multi Reed's Avatar

I don't know... the grammar as so goodest and my advise is you go for it (NOT!)

My bank would contact me - not by email - about an ATM Card. $158 for a duly sworn affidavit? Never.

Forum Contributor 2009 monkmydear's Avatar

What is an ATM card?
    The number is a Spanish cellphone....
    Tenor: Keilwerth 75th Anniversary 10MFan Robusto 7*
    Soprano: Yanagisawa SC901 SOPRANOPLANET Open Sky .080

Thanks guys!!!!

R.

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2013

monkmydear,
    An ATM is an "Automated Teller Machine" here in the US. You access it with a card that is either a Credit card or a Debit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Why would they think that anyone would even do this? For an ATM card? I don't get it.
    I know...but what's a bit creepy is that the scammer seems to have known that I am expecting a package!?
    Could he somehow have access to private info from Ebay or Paypal...or just a coinky-dink?

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

None of that makes any sense whatsoever. Why and by what authority would the USPS intercept a package sent via DHL or UPS? Not possible. And their scanning system detected an ATM card in the parcel?? How?? Bombs maybe, but an ATM card....no way? Are ATM cards even sent in parcels? Mine usually come in an ordinary letter, and I doubt Homeland Security is singling out ATM cards for postal inspection or verification.

And why would anyone believe that the USPS, were it holding a parcel with an ATM card in it, would require the addressee to get an affidavit verifying the origin of the card from "the Spanish High Court in Spain" (as opposed to the Spanish High Court in Nigeria)? Aside from the fact that the Spanish Supreme court has nothing to do with questions of bank card fraud or verification of credit card accounts even in Spain, why would it be doing that for American banks?

Or did they mean it to imply that a Spanish Bank was sending you an ATM card? Would you or anyone outside of Spain be expecting one? What Spanish banks would even have non-resident alien ATM accounts? So why would Spain enter into it at all unless it is the location of the scammer? And as MMD pointed out, that's a cell phone from here.

I might give Mr. Winston a call tomorrow, but at very least I think I'll send this on to the internet fraud division of the National Police Force. I'm sure they'll be interested in following up on that phone number and email address.
    "We don't determine music, the music determines us; We only follow it to the end of our life: then it goes on without us." -- Steve Lacy

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rleitch View Post
    I know...but what's a bit creepy is that the scammer seems to have known that I am expecting a package!?
    Could he somehow have access to private info from Ebay or Paypal...or just a coinky-dink?
    He doesn't know. He just knows that some of the people they spam are expecting packages and a few of those might get scammed. Its just a numbers game.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Gone Phishing!
    "We don't determine music, the music determines us; We only follow it to the end of our life: then it goes on without us." -- Steve Lacy

Agreed that the scenario in the letter makes no sense whatsover and it is not just pinging the Scammer Doppler Radar, it's a 75dBZ return with 7500+ CAPES and TVS all over the screen ...

But I did want to point out that it's very possible to detect those items with the right equipment.

And their scanning system detected an ATM card in the parcel?? How??
    Many cards now contain RFID chips. The field distance varies, but you can easily tell if it's inside an envelope or within a couple of inches. Contactless cards and chips are becoming bigger business every day.

Are ATM cards even sent in parcels?
    ATM usually not, but stolen and blank ready-to-program stored value cards (aka gift cards) get shipped all the time that way, buried inside something else. Or even non-stolen ones, seeing as now SVC=CE in may cases; the only limitation really is acceptance at the destination.

RFID is everywhere. Even salmon get barcoded nowadays. Heck, salmon were getting barcoded before it became popular for pets

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

Default VIRUS ALERT - - You may wish to check this out

This sounds suspiciously like a nasty virus-infested email that is active now. See this Snopes listing.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp

You might want to run a check on your computer to make sure you're clean.
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

Forum Contributor 2011 F4UCorsair's Avatar

Not much different from the "You are a lottery winner" emails. They advise you've won 10 million pounds in an English lottery, or 100 million lire in an Italianlottery, or....., and are required to send 200 pounds to have the winnings processed and sent to you. They keep doing it because they continue to get takers.

I responded to one suggesting they take the 200 quid out of the 10 million and send the rest, and I'm still waiting!!