P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Selmer Bundy 380XXX tenor questions

E-mail problem

Question Selmer Bundy 380XXX tenor questions

Hi to all! I am fairly new here and am in territory I am strangely infamiliar with. My oldest son is the Sax player and I am still the purchaser of many things...
    We have never purchased a sax in the past, he has been playing 8-9 years now and is still going strong but has always played whatever instrument was available through the schools or his instructors.
    We have found a Selmer Bundy Tenor w/ Serial 380XXX and the owner has it listed as vintage. I have tried to find some info on it but can't find much other than buy/sell type stuff and a general info site that doesn't tell us what this sax is classified as... student, intermediate, pro, etc
    It does have 2 dents on the bow but the seller states "nothing to really speak of" - we want to go check it out but my son is worried about that alone as well as the fact that the lacquer has been removed and the sax has had an antiquing process put on it so it looks... patinaed for lack of better term.
    Any advice to give us on this particular sax?
    We are looking for a very high quality intermediate or really preferably a pro horn but I am trying to stay under $800- He will still be buying a mouthpiece and possibly 2... He needs the hard rubber just to have and a metal MP for more of a jazzy type "sound" as well as magnification- He currently plays in the marching band in college but he plays many instruments and although not majoring in music, he "jams" with many friends and has talked of getting a band together.
    I just want to make our first purchase for him something he can keep/use for quite some time before upgrading hisself in the future.
    Thx for any input

~Luv

Default Re: Selmer Bundy 380XXX tenor questions

I have some saxes for sale. All of which would be better than choosing a Bundy saxophone. Those are definitely student level horns. Here are mine though, the yamaha being a fantastic intermediate saxophone: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...ighlight=saxes

PM me if interested
    Thanks, Rob

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I agree, don't bother with the Bundy, Rob's yamaha is likely to be much better, plus there are very godd almost pro quality Chinese saxophones you an get for that money that will be streets ahead of the Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2CUSmile View Post
    He will still be buying a mouthpiece and possibly 2... He needs the hard rubber just to have and a metal MP for more of a jazzy type "sound" as well as magnification-
    Hard Rubber and metal are just materials, nothing to do with jazz, magnification or anything pertaining to sound.

Ideally use one mouthpiece, you can play any style on HR or metal, it depends totally on the actual model of mouthpiece not what it's made of.

Good luck!

Agreed and thanks Pete. I'm going to college for Jazz Studies currently and I have had some good playing time with that Yamaha alto 52. The more I play it the less I want to give it away but I really do need a soprano for doubling at school and I already have another yamaha alto that works. I use a hard rubber Meyer 7M which plays great for jazz, R&B, funk, blues, you name it. But if you're truly interested in tenor playing, I also use a hard rubber Vandoren V16 size T7 with my tenor. I wouldn't go metal unless he knows he likes metal.

E-mail problem

Thumbs up Re: Selmer Bundy 380XXX tenor questions

Thx so much for the comments e1. Rob, I will definitely check that link as soon as I post here. I have been very weary of internet purchases though... I'm just saying... be prepared for questions- LOL
    Also, Thx for the clarification on the MP issue. My son always thought it was a personal preferance thing on which MP you used and as he started getting into jazz/blues, an instructor (not his) that works at a music store here (*ding *ding *ding *ding)... told him that if he really wanted to get more jazz sound in his notes and to stand out and be heard well on the marching band field, he would need to upgrade to a metal MP eventually. Since my son has played so long and "knows" quite a bit, he did ask the guy some questions but the guy convinced him by playing w/ the two Mp's on the same horn... (no, my son didn't actually play it)- Now, I guess we thwarted the guys plan when I told my son before buying one that day we would research a bit more online and then possibly choose to by direct from the company he chose from...
    But, again, thx! I will have my son read this.
    Rob, just be patient with me as I ask questions when I see your listings...
    First and formost, the only questions I know to ask are what my son told me he is looking for... I will definitely also have him to contact you if you have something for us. Thx!

~Luv

E-mail problem

Oh! Also the horn was sold that we were looking at... We couldn't go see it until Sunday and he had an interested party that lived closer to him... He is about an hour's drive from us.
    I have heard that Yamaha 23 series is a great horn... anyone?

To the OP, you don't mention how much they're asking for the horn. That's kind of important.
    In regards to the quality of the Bundy, you really have to know what kind of Bundy it is before dismissing it out of hand (and pimping your Yamaha at the same time). With a serial number like that, these horns have their fans, you're dealing with a horn that is very close to a Buescher Aristocrat.
    The only way to pick a mouthpiece is to play it. If your son has a teacher, why not ask his (her?) opinion on which mouthpiece to get? But I would recommend that if you spend some time with a music store to find the right mouthpiece, that you purchase the mouthpiece at that music store, as long as the price is reasonable (some aren't). You're paying for service.

I took too long to type, it looks.
    Yam23's have a great reputation for a beginner horn. Nothing special, imho. Remember, value=price/quality.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

....an instructor (not his) that works at a music store here (*ding *ding *ding *ding)... told him that if he really wanted to get more jazz sound in his notes and to stand out and be heard well on the marching band field, he would need to upgrade to a metal MP eventually. Since my son has played so long and "knows" quite a bit, he did ask the guy some questions but the guy convinced him by playing w/ the two Mp's on the same horn...
    The myth regarding metal vs HR mpcs is quite widespread, but as Pete said, the material (metal, HR, whatever) has nothing to do with how a mpc sounds or how loud it can be played. That is all down to the DESIGN. It could very well be that the metal mpc this guy played was louder or "jazzier" or edgier, etc, than the HR one he compared it to. If so, it was not because it was metal. It would have been down to a different design. My guess is the metal mpc he played had a higher baffle, maybe a more open tip, or a different chamber size, all of which could have contributed to a very different sound, and more volume.

Regarding the Bundy, if you're going to go with a vintage horn, I'd look for an older, real Buescher (mid '50s or older) rather than the Bundy, if you want a quality pro-level horn. But there are some high quality, inexpensive newer horns on the market now. I'll let others advise you in that direction since I don't know much about the newest horns out there.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Oh! Also the horn was sold that we were looking at... We couldn't go see it until Sunday and he had an interested party that lived closer to him... He is about an hour's drive from us.
    I have heard that Yamaha 23 series is a great horn... anyone?
    It's an OK horn, but mostly overpriced new when compared to some of the really great modern Taiwanese and Chinese horns for lower prices that you can now get.

Many people might say otherwise, and I would have done a few years ago, or even now if I hadn't been to some trade shows and test played hundreds of them recently.

E-mail problem

Thx again for the responses- I am sorry I failed to list the amount they were asking on this one- $450... Indeed we did miss out on it but even if not sold we would have more likely not opted for it at this time now anyway- (learning moree as I continue to browse) -As to "pimping my Yamaha..." we don't have a horn at all at this time- in conversation on another sax listed the seller told me about a Yamaha 23 series, so I decided to just ask of anyone's opinion on it. I do appreciate the heads up on not dismissing a Bundy unless we know the type first- which I would never know one from another, or what model #'s mean- so the internet is my friend in this and that is actually how I found this forum... doing a search on a tenor sax for info...
    I have since been reading many threads, some that don't even apply to us- and before posting I read quite a few threads- But the Tenor's for sale around here are few and far between so if I see one I need to know quickly if it is a possible horn to buy or let it pass... I don't expect for anyone to know if it is good for my son as an individual but just a general- "...that horn is of good quality and normally runs $XXXX new and $XXX used, It is a great classical style horn if that is what he is into..." Nothing more- I can take info pertaining to us and apply it when needed and learn about others in the process. I will have to say, everyone so far has been immensely helpful. In the many threads I have read to the actual comments made to my few inquiries, I appreciate all of it. And, sax buying aside, if anyone has suggestions for sites, online sources, local sources, etc for information that may help me/him I welcome it.

I have been reading on the mouthpieces - what to buy & why but haven't really come across something that helps yet- I am sure I will find something. Being that he is not a beginner, and that thread is I guess geared toward beginner players...? We are just beginners at purchases and this forum in general... bear with me as I go along- I promise to get enoughinfo together so my questions are not blind- however if it is on a sax specific purchase if I can't find it listed on the threads within that particular sax's brand forum... I may ask for opinions on the horn in general to see if I should inquire with the seller for purchase or not... Trust me I don't want to buy quickly, but my son is using a tenor sax that the university has (very rare a University has instruments for students, they are not HS)- They requested he join the marching band and jazz ensemble- since he doesn't have his own horn, the instructor found him one- trust me, it is temporary- the horn is in bad shape- I am not sure of teh brand, I didn't ask my son- the cork is dry rotting, keys are loose, etc- he has cleaned it up and tried to treat it best he can for practice but we need to buy him one very soon- I would rather buy than take money from my pocket to get this temp one serviced and it still is not his and possibly may not be a horn he can thrive with. He also needs a mouthpiece regardless- the temp one has a mouthpiece that seems to have never been cleaned- my son had been soaking and cleaning it to try and make it serviceable enough- finally he has one on loan to him from a friend until he gets one, again, we need to do this soon.- I wish I had more time. But thx again for any information, advice, and suggestions anyone is willing to give. It is all much appreciated.

~Luv

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

I have several tenors in good playing shape for around that price. You can find a very good vintage Tenor in that $500 range.

King Clevelands, Vitos (French-made), Martin Indianas, Pierret/Olds Parisians, a USA-made Conn 16M, some older Keilwerths, R. Malernes, Noblets, and Holtons come to mind immediately.

Quite honestly...all of those blow the doors off of a Yamaha 23 or the vast majority of modern horns costing 2-3x as much. So, if your budget is in the $400-700 range, vintage is really the way to go. You can get a hella lotta bang for the buck.

Now personally, regarding mouthpieces....if your son has a few years under his belt...he should get the horn, and get a relatively inexpensive but well-reputed mouthpiece (such as a Yamaha 4C or 5C, a Hite Premier, or a Brilhart Ebolin 4) just to use in the meantime while he searches for the mouthpiece he really wants to 'invest' in.

All of those are good, solid mouthpieces for general playing..... and they are all under $40. They can certainly get him by on his new (to him) horn for several months if not a year or two....They certainly sound like they will be a step up from the loaner he is using now.

Mouthpieces are so personal. He should really play the horn a bit, get it under his fingers, and spend some time going to shops and trying different mouthpieces.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

E-mail problem

Jaye,
    Thx for the advice on the mouthpiece issue. I really couldn't agree more. He already has a few mp's he's been eyeing and has agreed to wait since we haven't found a specific horn yet. He is using another mp on loan to him now from a very generous friend. His friend had only used it a handful of times. I told him I do want to get him a mp to use for now so his friend can have his back. & yes, a Brillhart was what I looked at. His friend's mp is a Meyer something... (sry, I am still not well versed)-

~Luv