Sax on the Web Forum banner

All Medusa have 3 necks ?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Joe Jazz 
#1 ·
There is a used Medusa Alto For $1000 with only one neck. And the owner told me no other necks when he bought it new.
I'm sure it's a Medusa ( gold lacquer) . But I have never seen a Medusa without 3 necks.
How many kinds of Medusa ? And what's the difference?

#2 ·
Only the GOLDBRASS Medusas came with three necks. There is such a negligible difference between the necks that it's a non -issue. The Medusa came in all sorts of finishes - goldbrass, gold, clear, silver, black nickel, sand finish, etc...I have even seen one that was almost orange.

$1000 sounds reasonable on a mint one!

#3 ·
What Haywood said, only the expensive top of the line goldbrass came with the three necks.

$1000 is definitely a good deal.

Some of the medussas also had (optional) adjustable palm keys a la Keilwerth too, dont see many of them around!

#4 ·
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add that because Kessler advertised the 3 neck version they sold as the Medusa 'Goldbrass Classic' that is what I thought I had but I purchased a B&S 'Medusa Line' catalog on Ebay that shows all the variations and color pictures of the Medusa and the 'Goldbrass Classic' is advertised as: "bell, bow, tube & neck in finest gold brass" (one neck) and the Medusa 'GSL' as: "bell, bow, tube in finest gold brass, silver plated bell, bow & keys, 3 necks, Ms-L; Gms-S; Ns-L" ..the catalog key states the three neck properties as, Ns-L = nickle silver + clear lacquer, Gms-S = gold brass + silver plated, Ms-L = yellow brass + clear lacquer ...so after all these years of thinking I had the 'Goldbrass Classic' I now know I own the Medusa 'GSL' version which is great because I don't play classical music :bluewink:

#6 ·
Speaking of Medusas with 3 necks, I have an original BAM Medusa case (soft, backpack type). It has slots for all three necks. However, my tenor only has one neck so if anyone wants to trade for a Medusa single neck case, i would be interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.