P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Peter Ponzol Pro One model saxophones by Antigua Winds

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

Default Re: Peter Ponzol Pro One model saxophones by Antigua Winds

I had the pleasure of having an alto and tenor for two consecutive days to evaluate them. I should be posting some of my thoughts on them within a couple of days, hopefully.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

With sound clips Gary?

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    With sound clips Gary?
    Horns were returned last week, sorry.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

I only got to blow an alto for a couple minutes at NAMM, so all I can say is that it was a fun horn to play, and I'm looking forward to trying again. While I wouldn't yet say I'm going to run out and get one as my main axe, I was still impressed enough to think it would be worth trying for anyone who was in the market for a new (as in, fresh from the factory) horn.

In any case, a shop I'm friends with is getting a couple, and when they arrive I'll put them through their paces and post my feedback.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

well that , the Jim Schmidt and the Powell horn do create a nice atmosphere of anticipation ........

Forum Contributor 2008 ClickRec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William Bua View Post
    ------------------ deleted -------------------
    You've tried them both?
    Last edited by kcp; 02-16-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: quoted post deleted for shilling

One of my classmates says his parents ordered him the Pro One alto, so I guess they're shipping now. Don't know where they ordered it from, prolly Kessler since he and I spent some time checking out their site a couple weeks back. Can't wait to see and hear it. I really wanna hear how my Barone Vintage Alto I got back in December stacks up against it. I'm also interested in seeing if it's as heavy as everyone is saying.

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

If any of you cats are in the L.A. area, Jim's Musical Instrument Repair in San Dimas has both an alto and tenor in stock. I'm stuck on jury duty this week, but as soon as I get a few minutes I'd like to give them a blow.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar

Other than the Ponzol-designed neck and the hybrid toneholes, the Pro-one shares two things with P Mauriat, Cannonball, R. Jones's M'Lady, Lazer, LA Sax, TK Melody, [Cadeson], and Unison: They are Selmer copies and are made in Taiwan. It will be good if someone can do a test or comparison to see how the Pro-One sounds vis-a-vis P Mauriat and the other brand-named Taiwanese horns.
    Tenor: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Alto: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Sop: None at the moment

Anybody know what this is? (from Kessler website):
    "F to F# Bridge Key - We added a bridge arm to the F key of the Antigua Pro-One to facilitate faster action and response in the right hand key section. The Pro-One is designed to have the best feel and response."

Also, the Kessler pics seem to show screw-on low B and Bb key cups. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ClickRec View Post
    Anybody know what this is? (from Kessler website):
    "F to F# Bridge Key - We added a bridge arm to the F key of the Antigua Pro-One to facilitate faster action and response in the right hand key section. The Pro-One is designed to have the best feel and response."

Also, the Kessler pics seem to show screw-on low B and Bb key cups. Interesting.
    I would guess it is a little piece between the F and F# key cups. I've seen guys do this mod to there Mark VIs because they think that it makes the closing of the F# key more secure when you play an F. Personally, I don't let anybody weld **** onto my horn.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClickRec View Post

No, there are three arms holding the key cups, one central and two either side with screws. I believe these are to make the cups close more securely as the pressure is distributed to the outside not just the centre. But they can be individully adjusted which I presume would angle the cup slightly either way if required.

I had a chat with Peter and this is how he explained it (I hope I have understood correctly). It is a patented system, so he must have a lot of faith in it, you don't waste money on a patent unless it's good. I can't say how effective it is, but I playtested one of these just after playing a ref 36, 54 and series III. The Pro One blew those away totally in terms of sound and character. The subtone is extremely good and the tone is even and rich right to the top.

I preferred the tenor, my main beef with the alto was that top C and C# seemed to break up slightly when you really push them. Exactly what happens for me withy many MKVI altos. But then this might just be me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    ...I had a chat with Peter and this is how he explained it (I hope I have understood correctly). It is a patented system, so he must have a lot of faith in it, you don't waste money on a patent unless it's good. I can't say how effective it is, but I playtested one of these just after playing a ref 36, 54 and series III. The Pro One blew those away totally in terms of sound and character. The subtone is extremely good and the tone is even and rich right to the top...
    Wow. All very exciting. Can't wait to try one.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

One does have to wonder... if all these added pad cup supports you see these days are there because the old way was somehow deficient, or is new metal just not as strong and/or supportive as the old.

One does have to wonder... if all these added pad cup supports you see these days are there because the old way was somehow deficient, or is new metal just not as strong and/or supportive as the old.
    There are softer and harder metal on both new and old, and I think there are pros and cons regarding both soft or hard. Except in the case of too soft, as with the old Chinese Parrot brand instruments. We always used to say they were made from recycled Durex wrappers.

The Proone isn't quite my number one horn tenor, but it's very close and for me it's better than modern Selmers and many of the Taiwanese instruments.

Extra crappy brass to reinforce the other crappy brass? Why not use duct tape?
    High end flutes don't have adjusters. Selmer did away with them. Obviously it has something to do with the quality and strength of the metal.

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    High end flutes don't have adjusters. Selmer did away with them. Obviously it has something to do with the quality and strength of the metal.
    Yet another inspiring and insightful post from whaler, based on nothing but ignorance and assumptions. Bravo.

- Saxaholic

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    High end flutes don't have adjusters.
    It doesn't seem to be crappy brass. Peter mentioned that they can adjust, but that isn't their primary purpose. Any adjustment the do would be to adjust the angle of the keycup, something neither Selmer nor any high end flute has ever done so the comparison is a bit moot.

Forum Contributor 2011 thadnoland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post
    Yet another inspiring and insightful post from whaler, based on nothing but ignorance and assumptions. Bravo.

- Saxaholic
    I was hoping he would use some of that duct tape to bind his hands so he can't type completely useless, unfounded nonsense.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast