Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Your Favorite MeYer Style mouthpiece

For alto, the SR Tech Legend.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    For alto, the SR Tech Legend.
    I've been curious about that one. It seems like I've read good reviews on that quite a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandlay View Post
    Is this the Meyer type piece on his website? Or did he reface a Meyer for you?
    Thanks
    I live near Ed and have tried all his mouthpieces. My favourite is the NYA6, the one featured on his website.
    He also does direct copies from NY Meyers and Brilharts that are nice, but I preferred the NYA (mine is just the resin one).

One thing I did do was have Ed put his facing onto an original NY USA Meyer I own, and that's my main piece.

Jamie

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    I've been curious about that one. It seems like I've read good reviews on that quite a few times.
    I was playing a NY-USA Meyer for a bit, but needed something a bit more open and went to an SR Tech L85 before later settling on an RPC.

Distinguished SOTW Member Sebastian's Avatar

Well you asked about meyer type mouthpieces. I thought the obvious choice, esp for someone in high school with a serious gear fetish is something basic like an actual meyer. If you don't like a regular meyer for whatever reason, try the small chamber. The TK is the other side of the coin for a piece that comes from customizing meyers and medium chambers for nearly thirty years. A little expensive for a high school student but that doesn't seem to be a problem in your situation. What was wrong with the Brilhart? You should play that if you have it. I like the small chambers because I play a 6M and it can be a little dull without something a little punchier.
    As for a Vandoren sounding brittle ... well I'm not sure a mouthpiece can achieve that. I don't hear any brittleness in Vince Herring's sound (5 small chamber). Honestly I think maybe you're worrying too much about this. You can't care equally for gear and music at the same time. It messed me up and I've regretted it for years.

Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bariandyf View Post
    Morgan Fry NYZ for Alto, Gilad Atzmon now plays one and sounds fantastic. I just bought one of Morgan's Floridated Links and it's superb. I tried it against a friends Florida Link and he's got it. If I was looking for another Alto piece that's what I'd go for - in fact when I have some spare cash I might buy one anyway.
    Hey Andy,
    I'm thinking about Morgan's piece especially since he told me he has a new model out that Gilad is now playing/ he said the piece is similar to the NYZ but is a bit more centered sounding than the NYZ and it is still made from a high quality blank just not a Zinner.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejazz View Post
    I live near Ed and have tried all his mouthpieces. My favourite is the NYA6, the one featured on his website.
    He also does direct copies from NY Meyers and Brilharts that are nice, but I preferred the NYA (mine is just the resin one).

One thing I did do was have Ed put his facing onto an original NY USA Meyer I own, and that's my main piece.

Jamie
    Hey Jamie,
    what do you think is the best part of the NYA because I've heard some great things about ed's work but never had the chance to play on one before?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Well you asked about meyer type mouthpieces. I thought the obvious choice, esp for someone in high school with a serious gear fetish is something basic like an actual meyer. If you don't like a regular meyer for whatever reason, try the small chamber. The TK is the other side of the coin for a piece that comes from customizing meyers and medium chambers for nearly thirty years. A little expensive for a high school student but that doesn't seem to be a problem in your situation. What was wrong with the Brilhart? You should play that if you have it. I like the small chambers because I play a 6M and it can be a little dull without something a little punchier.
    As for a Vandoren sounding brittle ... well I'm not sure a mouthpiece can achieve that. I don't hear any brittleness in Vince Herring's sound (5 small chamber). Honestly I think maybe you're worrying too much about this. You can't care equally for gear and music at the same time. It messed me up and I've regretted it for years.
    very true on the part about carrying about to much gear and not enough on music, but right now I kinda want to get the best so I can just tell myself it ain't the equipment it's me.

Sebastian, how do you feel about the TK is it responsive, or does it have a little bit of back pressure, because i'm more found of pieces that have a little bit of back pressure so I can shape the sound more easily. On the Brilhart thing i like the sound but compared to the 8M I was playing on it lacks that edge/pop in the sound i like.
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, A.Drake Son of Slant 8 Large Chamber, Borgani Flexitone (N.S) Lig. Rigotti Gold 3 Medium

On a side note to Steve which out of the group do you like the most, for a Big Band or Small group setting?
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, A.Drake Son of Slant 8 Large Chamber, Borgani Flexitone (N.S) Lig. Rigotti Gold 3 Medium

Distinguished SOTW Member Sebastian's Avatar

very true on the part about carrying about to much gear and not enough on music, but right now I kinda want to get the best so I can just tell myself it ain't the equipment it's me.

Sebastian, how do you feel about the TK is it responsive, or does it have a little bit of back pressure, because i'm more found of pieces that have a little bit of back pressure so I can shape the sound more easily. On the Brilhart thing i like the sound but compared to the 8M I was playing on it lacks that edge/pop in the sound i like.[/QUOTE]

I think that's an excuse to try more gear. Let me be the one to say, "It's you". If you want to be a musician you are obsessing about the wrong end of the horn. Worry that you only got to practice 3 hours and not 8, you know? Looks like you've owned everything money can buy. So have I and you know what? I'm a mediocre player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post

Sebastian, how do you feel about the TK is it responsive, or does it have a little bit of back pressure, because i'm more found of pieces that have a little bit of back pressure so I can shape the sound more easily. On the Brilhart thing i like the sound but compared to the 8M I was playing on it lacks that edge/pop in the sound i like.
    I think that's an excuse to try more gear. Let me be the one to say, "It's you". If you want to be a musician you are obsessing about the wrong end of the horn. Worry that you only got to practice 3 hours and not 8, you know? Looks like you've owned everything money can buy. So have I and you know what? I'm a mediocre player.[/QUOTE]

Okay I do understand I'm a beginner but I'm auditioning for college soon and I really do want something, that I can totally rely on... and I know it's another excuse but I am curious about the Ted Klums...

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    I have one. It sounds really great, but the beak has an awkward shape which feels uncomfortable in the mouth and the tip is very tick. So physically it feels very different from a Meyer, but the sound is excellent. I had Morgan Fry modify my beak profile (no refacing, just modifying the beak and the tickness of the tip) and the piece now feels very comfortable. Morgan did an excellent job, as usual. This mpc plays great.

But my favorite is currently the Theo Wanne Gaia, although is is a little brighter than I would like in the high register. I can work around that though with reed choice, I'm working on that. It's a really superb mouthpiece.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Inderbinen tenor, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JackLi View Post
    how do you feel about the TK is it responsive, or does it have a little bit of back pressure, because i'm more found of pieces that have a little bit of back pressure so I can shape the sound more easily.
    I've had a TK Versitone and it did have more resistance than average, compared to all the Meyers I have tried.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Inderbinen tenor, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JackLi View Post
    I'm thinking about Morgan's piece especially since he told me he has a new model out that Gilad is now playing/ he said the piece is similar to the NYZ but is a bit more centered sounding than the NYZ and it is still made from a high quality blank just not a Zinner.
    That sounds very interesting. I have to try it. the spread is the only thing that I don't really adore in Morgan's NYZ. Other than that, it is a great mouthpiece, one of the best I've ever played. I still keep mine.
    Now I'm curious to try one of those new ones.
    Tenor:

Thanks jamie! Sounds like a great mpc...I really like your youtube clips, great playing!
    YAS 82z-ul Acoustimax Woodstone Lig.
    P. Mauriat 66R Saxscape

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

SR Tech Legend.

Dave Jary (check on google "jarycustom") he can make you a very good copy of a vintage Meyer with a very good hard rubber (i've got one it is fantastic). It "pops" like a vintage Meyer !
    Morgan Fry are also nice

Otto Link HR is absolutely not "meyerish" for me, but it is only my opinion...

I'd recommend the Ponzol Vintage HR .085 - brilliant, complex sound with richness and edge - on my Ref54 at least. I use a Francois Louis Basic Lig and FL Excellence reeds. Also the Morgan Fry and Ed Pillinger pieces mentioned above........
    Alto: Selmer Reference 54/Phil-Tone Rift mpc/Marc Jean Lig/Marca J's
    Tenor: System 54 U/L Powerbell/Phil-Tone Isotope mpc/ Marc Jean Lig/Marca J's
    Soprano: Bauhaus Walstein Bronze Curved/Sop Planet Via Coro mpc/Marc Jean Lig/MarcaJ's

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

I was using a Ponzol Vintage .075" until I tried a similarly-tipped Meyer Richie Cole about a year ago. The Meyer-Cole sounded fuller and less shrill on top than the Ponzol for me, so it's been my only alto piece since.
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

Distinguished SOTW Member RandyJ's Avatar
    Belle Harbor-Greenwich, CT and Grindelwald Switzerland

Well I can't help, I never liked Meyer's and from your list I tried out a couple Aizens and Theo's pieces...they were just to bright and shrill on top.

JR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12