P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: C melody fingering chart

Default C melody fingering chart

I recently received the C melody sax I played as a teenager (50+ yrs ago). The fingering chart in the elementary book does not match the keys on the 1915 instrument I have. Is there a source for a C melody fingering chart?

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Default Re: C melody fingering chart

Unless I've gone off my rocker the fingerings are the same for all sop-bari saxophones.
    If you have a book that was printed after the addition of the high F key, you may be seeing an additional circle for the left hand.
    All you have to do is read the chart and ignore that little 'extra'.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Default Re: C melody fingering chart

Not only is there a key missing from the horn (according to the fingering chart), there's also probably another key on the horn that isn't shown on the fingering chart (the G# trill key) between the F and E keys. Just ignore that key on the instrument. Finally, it's unlikely modern fingering charts show a forked Eb either, but you won't find that one anyway unless you start getting real good with the altissimo register.

This is a result of it probably being an 80+ year-old horn, not the fact it's a C-Melody.

Welcome to SOTW, btw.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Silver Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8

2000-something Yamaha YTS-475 (backup tenor) -- TW Durga 8

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.