Sax on the Web Forum banner

Goldbeck 3 mpc???

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  McClintock 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have had a mouthpiece sitting around my house that i obtained from someone and I'm not entirely sure what it is. IT says Goldbeck & co. on it and it has the pat. feb 10 1920 that i have heard about on other mouthpieces of the same type. i have tried to play it, but it barely fits on my alto neck, too small. and is way too big for a soprano. Alto reeds are too big for it for the most part, and soprano doesnt even fit. it is a 3 facing and comes with a Martin lig. any comments as to what it is, how to make it work and pricing? im trying to sell it, and i know its the wrong forum to put it in, but i would like some information first.
thanks for your help

#2 ·
It's a metal version of the classic barrel chamber (think Sigurd Rascher) classical piece. It's probably an alto piece, even if it doesn't QUITE it on your neck...

#3 ·
yeah I just tried it out on my horn and it fit (it was a little tight, but possible) and i tried the hardest reed i had, but the tip had almost no opening. it didn't sound too jazzy and had a smoother tone, but I think a harder reed (size four or higher) may work a little better, surprisingly. So I've come to the conlusion that its a classic mouthpiece that is metal, for alto that needs a really hard reed.... right?

#4 ·
That about covers it.

#6 ·
These are very similar casting, if not identical to, the Otto Link Master. The neck fitting was not tapered, so the alto mp gets tight real fast on the cork. You almost have to alter the cork the fit that mouthpiece (and by doing so, then your neck fits no other mouthpiece). They lack the baffle of the Super Tone Master and play surprisingly smooth and classical (or dull, depending on what you like) for a metal piece. I put a baffle in mine and liked the change, but refacing and putting in a baffle on a mp worth $50 isn't a money maker and didn't produce (for me) a favorite mp. It's now in the back of the drawer. An unaltered piece would be good for the 1 out ot 1,000 players who like the sound.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.