Antigua Winds

Default FA: Vox (Beaugnier) Tenor Sax

Vox tenor bought from Dr. Sax Woodwinds last September, rebuilt this past February, now on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250666659587

(that's it in my avatar)

Ships from PA, USA. (thanks!)

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

Default Re: FA: Vox (Beaugnier) Tenor Sax

Cool! Is this my poor man's mark VI or what?
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

The bids on the Vox Dume auction are stuck at $202. I'll go ahead and fess up that the reserve is $500, which I might budge a little on.
    -Ed
    “Pleasure is the carrot dangled to lead the mule to market; or the precipice.” Robinson Jeffers

"Duke" that is!
    “Pleasure is the carrot dangled to lead the mule to market; or the precipice.” Robinson Jeffers

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rleitch View Post
    Cool! Is this my poor man's mark VI or what?
    Poor mans SBA actually, but with Yamaha-type intonation stability, and slightly more sculpted ergos . This is VERY well worth the asking price (his bottom dollar is a "steal", and his "Buy It Now" is quite reasonable, and still less than from a dealer!).

I paid $405 for my Vito Tenor (and it has a bent body tube and missing pant guard!) by Beaugnier, and $950 for my Beaugnier built Alto (similar vintage).

It'll go up. Don't worry. The last day, and even more so, the last hour and minutes, is when the price ALWAYS climbs!
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

Ok, so the $500 reserve has been hit. But it's just sitting there at $500 now. Closes at about 3:00 pm today if anyone wants in on it.

-ed

Rebuilt Vox for $700? That was a great deal.
    "My life is music, my love is music, and it's twenty four hours a day."

-Dexter Gordon

it's definitely a better time to be a buyer than a seller!!

$700! That was a steal! Should have gone for a Grand.
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Mmmm....I agree w/ you that they are very good horns.

Also, the comparable Vito-engraved model went for $900 several weeks ago.

But quite honestly, I am surprised the Vox got over $700....and if I were the OP, I'd be happy with that, really. $500 was too low a reserve for this horn, so you managed to get folks bidding it up way past that. I wouldn't have personally reserved it for less than 6 bill$...but it paid off for you.

...if I were inclined to connect some dots, I would say that Beaugnier is beginning to fetch a bit more in the past few months than they have over the past year and a half....

.....interesting....
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

I justified paying $950 (which is very well worth the price anyway!) for me freshly overhauled Alto, cause I paid a measly $405 for my Tenor that needed very little work . Split the difference Since I cut cost (but not quality) on the saxes, I was able to buy some high end mouthpieces for them .

But yes, I do agree that it seems Beaugnier is picking up some steam . In my opinion, the best small name from France .

Forum Contributor 2012

I have a Vito Duke model tenor BODY, and searching for a neck that will play with good intonation and a big even sound on this tenor. I guess the chance of getting the original neck might be slim, but if anyone does have one, I'd love to purchase it.

Or if you know of any easily available substitute that works well (like selmer reference, yanagisawa, or even phil barone, mauriat etc), let me know!

Thanks!

Forum Contributor 2012

Lightbulb Re: FA: Vox (Beaugnier) Tenor Sax

Oh boy Shirish you're in the wrong section, how come you fished and tagged this post for your enquiry?
    Anyways: I've played an Oleg made for JK on a Vito-Beaugnier tenor, which is the same stencil as the Vox tenor you have, with excellent results. Forget about modern, smaller bore necks, the Beaugnier has a bigger bore like German horns.

BTW I am using this Oleg/JK neck on my D&J tenor now, so a D&Jneck should also work on the Vox IMO.
    An SotWer from the UK had a D&J neck FS recently, check out the "Parts wanted/FS" section.

G'luck!
    S: Buffet -- Nicolas Tréfeil refaced unmarked Babbitt; A: Couesnon, Dolnet -- NT refaced Riffault & Meyer 5 replica; T: D&J -- NT modified Riffault; B: Weltklang -- NT refaced Chinese metal mpc

Forum Contributor 2012

OK it's late here so there are a few oooops in my post above. Shirish you have a Duke Beaugnier identical to my former Vito Beaugnier so try an older JK or D&J or Kohlert neck. It may require some tenon fitting but should work decently intonationwise.
    S: Buffet -- Nicolas Tréfeil refaced unmarked Babbitt; A: Couesnon, Dolnet -- NT refaced Riffault & Meyer 5 replica; T: D&J -- NT modified Riffault; B: Weltklang -- NT refaced Chinese metal mpc

Forum Contributor 2012

Thanks, I wanted to ask the people who own this model, that's why I posted here. Sorry to the OP.

I must add that 500$ as a reserve sounds like a steal. Whoever bought it should be thrilled.

Forum Contributor 2013

Shirish,

I am glad you did post. Thanks for the Buescher soprano with the interesting inscription. I am still pondering how to rebuild it. Maybe I will replace the 'uhm' pearls with custom stone work.

I also own a Vito Duke Tenor that I just had to pick up and play.

You can't have it's neck but I would be happy to provide you with phoos and detailed drawings and measurements... maybe you can have one made locally?

If I can help let me know.

Best Wishes....

But for your problem

ive got a VOX trumpet...it is actually a keilwerth and it is designed to go together with the VOX ampliphonic system,has the pickup built into the bell!!
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece

Distinguished SOTW Member goodsax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shirish View Post
    I have a Vito Duke model tenor BODY, and searching for a neck that will play with good intonation and a big even sound on this tenor. I guess the chance of getting the original neck might be slim, but if anyone does have one, I'd love to purchase it.

Or if you know of any easily available substitute that works well (like selmer reference, yanagisawa, or even phil barone, mauriat etc), let me know!

Thanks!
    FWIW, I used a Ponzol neck on my Vito Beaugnier tenor for a long time with good results. It took some minor tweaking to get it to fit - by a local tech - but after that, no problem at all.
    SOP: Antigua Winds SS4290RC; ALTO:Couesnon Monopole Conservatorie; TENOR: Yamaha YTS-61;
    BARI: Vito-Yanagisawa Low A; CLARINET: Noblet Paris; FLUTE: Amadeus by Haynes