P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: TM Custom/"M'Lady" Blind Shootout vs. Vintage Selmers

Forum Contributor 2008 saxxsymbol's Avatar

Default Re: TM Custom/"M'Lady" Blind Shootout vs. Vintage Selmers

We are all still waiting for the experts to weigh in here...................................................... Only a few brave souls have dared to guess so far.
    I am proud to be a Saxgourmet Endorsing Artist !

My set ups:
    Saxgourmet Super 400 tenor, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Saxgourmet Super 400 alto, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Steve Goodson Model SP Bari, Jody Jazz Classic 7
    Fibracell reeds

myspace.com/groovusband
    youtube.com/saxmanchuck

"The worst thing in the world for a musician is to get an opportunity you are not prepared for."

My guess would be similar to William's

1. M'lady lacquer
    2. M'lady matte
    3. Mark VI
    4. SBA

5. Mark VI
    6. M'lady matte
    7. M'lady lacquer
    8. SBA

Quote Originally Posted by andre251 View Post
    Zootfan, you and I have an almost identical list!
    Not any more!

I had limited time earlier today and so didn't listen to the "Soul" clips as carefully or as many times. I have now edited my responses to reflect this, and feel I may be pretty close. But who knows? I feel pretty sure about the SBA is about all I can say, in that it sounds the most free and spread. But the M'Lady that I think is either 1 or 2 in the Body clips must be a VERY good one because I keep going back and forth between those two over which one is the Mark VI and which one is the M'Lady. However, the horn in Body D/Soul 4 which I think is the same horn in both cases and a M'Lady sounds like a typical Far Eastern horn to me--that is, dull and not as vibrant.

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

These on-line comparison recordings do not prove anything. It is my opinion that the only person that will feel or hear a difference will be the player behind the horn. A good player such as is being used here could make a Maxtone Yugo sound good on these on-line shoot-outs.

However for fun.

body:
    sba
    ml
    vi
    vi

soul:
    sba
    ml
    vi
    vi

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Forum Contributor 2008 saxxsymbol's Avatar

If a good player can make a Taiwan horn sound as good as a SBA or Mark VI that would speak volumes about those horns.
    I am proud to be a Saxgourmet Endorsing Artist !

My set ups:
    Saxgourmet Super 400 tenor, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Saxgourmet Super 400 alto, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Steve Goodson Model SP Bari, Jody Jazz Classic 7
    Fibracell reeds

myspace.com/groovusband
    youtube.com/saxmanchuck

"The worst thing in the world for a musician is to get an opportunity you are not prepared for."

Quote Originally Posted by Zootfan View Post
    However, the horn in Body D/Soul 4 which I think is the same horn in both cases and a M'Lady sounds like a typical Far Eastern horn to me--that is, dull and not as vibrant.
    That is the second time someone has particularly expressed dislike in sound for Soul-4. I wonder which instrument that is.......
    :-/
    “If you transcribe me, you're my student, but if you transcribed who I've transcribed, you're my peer.”
    -Michael Brecker

Quote Originally Posted by Zootfan View Post
    Not any more!

I had limited time earlier today and so didn't listen to the "Soul" clips as carefully or as many times. I have now edited my responses to reflect this, and feel I may be pretty close. But who knows? I feel pretty sure about the SBA is about all I can say, in that it sounds the most free and spread. But the M'Lady that I think is either 1 or 2 in the Body clips must be a VERY good one because I keep going back and forth between those two over which one is the Mark VI and which one is the M'Lady. However, the horn in Body D/Soul 4 which I think is the same horn in both cases and a M'Lady sounds like a typical Far Eastern horn to me--that is, dull and not as vibrant.

So, what you are saying is that you didn't take the time to listen to ALL the clips, yet you bash this horn as the normal east asia junk? You haven't listened to the clips and you don't know the batting order of the clips yet either. You should play one before you go here, or at the very least, listen before you show your expertise.

ok, just for fun... I'm not even a tenor player, and really point out which model of ML is kinda silly.

Body A ML
    Body B VI
    Body C SBA
    Body D ML

Soul 1 SBA
    Soul 2 ML
    Soul 3 VI (I doubted with this one, I'm conviced in the 2nd half of the file)
    Soul 4 ML

I've been trying to discern the ones I like most... So, based on my own choices, my ideal tenor would be a SBA...

Next.
    just play

Would it also be interesting to add which track was your favorite sounding overall? Then maybe your least favorite overall?
    I know I would need to say "soul" 4 is my least favorite overall! Whatever one I listed as the sba "soul" was my favorite overall.
    Anyone else want to add thus extra personal opinion?
    “If you transcribe me, you're my student, but if you transcribed who I've transcribed, you're my peer.”
    -Michael Brecker

CraigH

I'm not going to guess which is which. The player made all 4 horns sound fantastic.

My favorite sounding clips are Body D & Soul 4.

Drew, are you going to post your recordings along with the modern and vintage for comparison like you talked about?
    -Michael Brecker

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Soul 1 stood out the most and got my attention. The others all sounded the same to me. Having said that, I think experiencing and evaluating horns in the third person doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's like asking all your friends which girl is the hottest -- from photographs.

I'll say it again, just for the record -- I believe the M'Lady is just another 'best horn I ever played' , but to me not worth the premium due primarily to its precipitous depreciation.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Forum Contributor 2012

I would be surprised if more than 10% of the respondents can even match up the same horns. I 'think' Body C and Soul 1 are the same horn and the best sounding, fwiw. Couldn't really get much distinction from the others.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Distinguished SOTW Member mascio's Avatar

well i'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other, so no surprise that they all sound the same to me.
    Swing hard Daddy-O

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

I don't try to guess which sax make is which but I'll list my preferences:
    Body D
    Body B
    Body C
    Body A

Soul 4
    Soul 2
    Soul 1
    Soul 3

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

gary, is that from best to worst, or worst to best?
    -Michael Brecker

Quote Originally Posted by hgiles View Post
    I would be surprised if more than 10% of the respondents can even match up the same horns. I 'think' Body C and Soul 1 are the same horn and the best sounding, fwiw. Couldn't really get much distinction from the others.
    Agreed. You have good ears, my friend. Time will tell but I think it's the same horn in both clips as well--and a real Monster at that. I was not sure if it was the SBA or the Mark VI, but of the two horns I was torn between for that option it sounded less focused than the other one, so I went with SBA and picked the other as the Mark VI.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andre251 View Post
    gary, is that from best to worst, or worst to best?
    Always the best on top, my man. Always the best on top.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

Body A = SBA
    Body B = M'Lady Matte
    Body C = VI
    Body D = M'Lady Vintage

Soul 1 = M'Lady Matte
    Soul 2 = SBA
    Soul 3 = VI
    Soul 4 = M'Lady Vintage

That's my guess FWIW i.e. not much.

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by TenorMadnessDrew View Post
    As per request in the other THREAD, we're starting the first of a couple "shootout" style threads between the TM Custom/"M'Lady" and various other horns. This thread is a blind comparison of the TM Custom vs. VINTAGE Selmers.

I've created a bandcamp page to organize these short sound clips, and to allow you to hear them in .WAV as opposed to .mp3s or youtube. The album page can be found HERE.

The 4 different horns are being played by Christian Winther, a professional tenor player in the New Orleans area and a customer of ours. The horns in question are: his personal 42xxx SBA, his favorite Mark VI (72xxx) in the shop, a dark-lacquered TM Custom, and a Matte-finished TM Custom. The first four tracks "Body" and the last four "Soul" are varying interpretations of the melodies to Body and Soul. The last four tracks are the same horns, but played in a different order.

So far, one person out of 12 has been able to accurately guess all of them. We think the results are very interesting and a little bit confusing (in a good way...). I'll throw a poll up for the first 4 tracks, and after we get a significant number of replies/guesses, I will reveal the horns.

Happy guessing!
    Hey Drew,
    In this first post you stated that the clips were wav files but when I clicked on them they said mp3-320. An mp3 at 320 isn't shabby but there's a big difference between that and a wav file.When i record a mouthpiece clip as a wav it's 60-70MB. When i convert it to 320 mp3 it's 3-5 MB. I have to think a lot is lost with a size difference that great.

That being said, I really couldn't hear a big difference between the clips myself. I'll have to try again tonight with my headphones. i would love to hear the wav files though............

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast