Antigua Winds

Default Otto Link CHAMBER sizes

i would like to know how Link changed the chamber sizes between the

Tonmaster - STM doubleRing NY - STM Florida -

( i think the Tonemaster chamber is bigger than the STM NY chamber ?)

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Default Re: Otto Link CHAMBER sizes

Thanks but Theo doesnt say anuything about chamber sizes .............i just want to know if the Tonmaster chamber is larger than the STM NY and the STM Florida.......

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker mfry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post

Speaking only of chamber sizes -- the Tonemaster is a little bigger than the NY double ring. The later (Florida) double ring is smaller than the NY double ring. The "no USA" is about the same size as the later double ring, I think. The USA Florida is a little bigger than that, but still smaller than the NY double ring. Modern STM is a bit smaller. The Modern STM NY is about the same chamber size as the no USA Florida and early Babbitt pieces (maybe a little bigger), all smaller than the ToneMasters.

Pretty sure that's about right. Hope that helps.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

Thanks but Theo doesnt say anuything about chamber sizes .............i just want to know if the Tonmaster chamber is larger than the STM NY and the STM Florida.......
    Yes it is. Basically, the chamber design have gradually shrunk from the earlier models to the newer ones - except for the current NY Super Tone Master and "New Vintage" Tone Master.

Would this then mean that the "Master Link" and "Master Link Four ****" would have the largest chambers, and as a result, produce the "darkest" tone.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

As I understand, dark and bright is not just a result of the size of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by magical pig View Post
    As I understand, dark and bright is not just a result of the size of the chamber.
    Yeah, especially the Theo Wanne mouthpieces. Some of those are pretty darn bright, yet they have a large chamber.

Distinguished SOTW Member bfoster64's Avatar

I'm no expert in vintage Links but the Tonemaster I played had a huge chamber that was noticeably bigger than the interior shank bore.

I can only tell the difference between a NY Tone Master and a 'modern' 80's STM as I
    have and play both and the TM has a larger chamber alright.
    Maybe the TM is a tad darker because of that but I would describe the sound as a little more hollow.
    Because my TM needs a little more air to be be pushed it tends to sound more muscular
    with a more robust core. The STM gets brighter when pushed. But then again this can
    work differently for every other player.
    '24 Conn New Wonder tenor and '36 Conn 10M

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TenSax View Post
    Would this then mean that the "Master Link" and "Master Link Four ****" would have the largest chambers, and as a result, produce the "darkest" tone.
    Only if they have the same baffle shape. A large chamber with a higher baffle will usually sound brighter than a medium chamber with a lower baffle. But it is a different kind of frequency mix.

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar

The Tonemaster probably had the largest chamber but there's really no way to measure it so the only way to know is by going with how it sounds and considering how dark it is it's probably has largest chamber. If you're thinking about getting one I suggest that you don't. Yeah everyone wants one largely because of John Coltrane’s CD Blue Trane. There’s a picture of him playing one on the cover but they pretty much stink. I guess there's a few good ones but I only know one guy that plays one and it's been modified.

Ya know, everyone loves to experiment with esoteric equipment but you have to look at the facts. Everyone pretty much switched to the Super Tonemaster when Otto came out with it and there's a good reason for it, they were better. Sure, a few guys continued to play them after the Super Tonemaster came out but you don't know how they may have sounded had they switched to the Super model. My experience tells me that some guys just don't want to be bothered with fooling around with mouthpieces. Sonny Rollins only played five mouthpieces in his career. I make mouthpieces and I played one tenor mouthpiece for thirty years in spite of the fact that I know I make better pieces.

The problem with the Tonemaster is that when you made one that was more open than say a six star they started to get too dark or stuffy and guys wanted to play more open pieces because they were louder but that meant making the chamber a little smaller. I have to admit though, one of my models is very similar to a Tonemaster. I actually made a mold of one that I had but I made a lot of changes to it before I made the mold. Then some other stuff changed in the process of making the mold. For example there’s always shrinkage. Also, when you shoot the wax the wax mouthpieces shrink too. Then when I machine the table and the facing more changes take place. Fortunately they were all positive changes and they even improved how the piece played compared to the model. However, when I made some other pieces the changes that took place didn’t augment the way the mouthpiece played, it actually hurt it so I just ended up not putting a couple of them out there.

Good luck with your search and be sure to play test anything before you lay the dough out.

Phil Barone

Now i know it !!! i got a STM NY and the chamber is smaller than the Tonmaster chamber ! now it would be great to know of there is a change between the STM NY to the STM Florida in chamber size ?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker mfry's Avatar

Now i know it !!! i got a STM NY and the chamber is smaller than the Tonmaster chamber ! now it would be great to know of there is a change between the STM NY to the STM Florida in chamber size ?
    You're talking about a modern STM NY? In that case it's about the same width as the Florida STMs with the USA on the shank. The more important difference is that there is a shorter baffle and a thicker table, which makes the floor lower, making the chamber larger still.

If you're talking about a NY "double ring" STM, it has a larger chamber than everything since, but smaller than the ToneMaster before it.