P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sold section in Marketplace

Default Sold section in Marketplace

I don't know about the rest of you but I think it would clear the marketplace thread up a huge amount of when an item was sold it was moved to a "Sold" subsection.
    What do others think:
    “We did not inherit the Earth from our forefathers, we are borrowing it from our descendants.”

Default Re: Sold section in Marketplace

What? Give the mods more work? Let's do it.

... And exactly who's going to do the movin' ?
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Seriously though, that idea isn't really a bad one but besides giving us more work, it also has the inconvenience that not everyone who use Marketplace keep a follow-up on their own ads. Even if we'd make it a rule to alert us when an item is sold, not everone reads the rules, FAQs and such.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Yes Kim _ I know it has some problems - not least more work for the moderators!!! - The follow up issue is also a problem ( maybe a time limit on sales - 4 months?)
    However I still think it could be something that frees the market place up and makes it much more functional - maybe delegate to a specific marketplace moderator,
    maybe a volunteer from the most prolific users of the marketplace ( care with conflict of interest!)
    Maybe we take the concept and tweak it to see if we can make it functional --- advice, suggestions etc welcome!!
    Put on your thinking cxaps
    “We did not inherit the Earth from our forefathers, we are borrowing it from our descendants.”

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Sale time used to be limited many moons ago was it not? I think after 30 days they just went away. I could be senile but I recall something of that nature.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Wouldn't this all depend on the seller posting "Sold" in the thread or notifying a mod?
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Not Necessarily,
    If The seller acknowledges sold - then the problem is simple.
    If not then the time limit kicks in and transferrs to sold column. If after say for arguments sake a sale hasn't occurred after 4 months then the seller can repost if they still want to sell otherwise their post goes to sold section. Some expensive horns may take > 4 mths to sell but the beauty is that it can be relisted and kept current rather than vanishing into the morrass of past sales
    If you want to browse the sold section for undiscoverd bargains Ok - but this keeps the FS section at manageable level and current

I think in order to create an idea of market value, it would be great to have a "sold" thread.
    In this thread, only Forum Administrators could "add to" the thread. Everyone else can just see it. And on this thread, the final sale price and location of item sold from and sold to can be put on.
    This way, people can search to see the value of items easily.
    The original thread can be unchanged except for adding at the end that the item is sold and a link to this new "administrator only" thread.
    I dont know if my idea is an extension of, or way off the original idea, but I just wanted to put in my two cents.
    "The subject of reeds is a subjective one."- Wailin'

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I would agree to have ads automatically disappear after a month and simultaneously to get rid of the difficult to enforce anti-bump rule ( ignored by some more than others, so what's the point to have a rule that is not respected and enforced ?) market values change and are determined by other factors such as location of the item so there is hardly a pint in keeping a permanent record of the sales

Forum Contributor 2013

I dont think there should be a 4 month rule on relisting if it doesnt sell. As for a sold section...it seems to me to be a big black hole that will easily (with some persons) become a point of contention...creating public arguements that, "3 months ago MR. ____ sold this for less than your asking bla bla."

Im happy if they go away after a while...30, 45, 60 days. If your trying to move a high dollar item just save the document on your computer and paste it back in a new post after its gone.
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Quote Originally Posted by styxywyx View Post
    ...However I still think it could be something that frees the market place up and makes it much more functional...
    I know that, a long time ago, old Marketplace ads used to be pruned --I still do manually prune French-forum's Marketplace ads every 6, 8 months or so, but there isn't very many ads in there to begin with -- I'm not sure what happened with the pruning of the main (English) Marketplace.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by styxywyx View Post
    If not then the time limit kicks in and transferrs to sold column. If after say for arguments sake a sale hasn't occurred after 4 months then the seller can repost if they still want to sell otherwise their post goes to sold section. Some expensive horns may take > 4 mths to sell but the beauty is that it can be relisted and kept current rather than vanishing into the morrass of past sales
    If you want to browse the sold section for undiscoverd bargains Ok - but this keeps the FS section at manageable level and current
    If a seller doesn't get a timely response/sale he might want to post the item at a more favorable time in the future rather than have it listed as sold.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbluescat View Post
    If a seller doesn't get a timely response/sale he might want to post the item at a more favorable time in the future rather than have it listed as sold.
    Yes, especially since it would be quite inaccurate. It isnt sold if it is not sold. If it were Id be rich!
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

In one regard, it almost doesn't matter how worthy an idea this is, I'm not sure how the moderators could manage it without dedicating an inordinate amount of time and detail. Just think of the wailing and gnashing of teeth if a Mod made some mistakes, which inadvertently benefited one seller while disadvantaging another. Maybe the Mods or some of you, know short-cuts to monitoring and managing this, but at my face value, this would be asking far more from the Mods than they signed up for.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

I like the idea, but it seems like over-management, and sure would create extra work for the mods.

As an alternative, what about a suggestion to change your posting's "heading" to include the word "SOLD" once it sells. Then, people who are actively looking for X product will know not to waste their time opening your thread if they only want to look at available items.

In other words, your listing would change from...

FS: Rico Metalite Tenor M-7

to...

SOLD: Rico Metalite Tenor M-7

You get the idea. Of course, this is only possible if we can change the "headings" long after an item is posted. Can we do that? (I don't think "heading" is the right word, but I can't think of the right word at the moment!)

Yes, but, whose responsibility would it be to keep up with "SOLD?" We're right back at square one, overworking the mod(s).

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbluescat View Post
    Yes, but, whose responsibility would it be to keep up with "SOLD?" We're right back at square one, overworking the mod(s).
    If your question is about my suggestion... in my scenario, it would be the OP/seller who would change it to SOLD (not the mods).

I Like the idea of changing the heading to sold - that would save all the opening of long gone threads

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    In one regard, it almost doesn't matter how worthy an idea this is, I'm not sure how the moderators could manage it without dedicating an inordinate amount of time and detail...
    Mass-moving or mass-deleting threads is not that much of a problem. We simply need to select all threads in a given area that have not been active since X amount of time and click "Ok" - Not really complicated. However, I wouldn't imagine doing this as soon as an ad is over and having to verify that the seller wrote "Sold" in the thread.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast