Sax on the Web Forum banner

Keilwerth: Is RH Thumb Rest Adjustable?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LampLight 
#1 ·
I have a Keilwerth Tenor Shadow and I'm trying to figure out if the right hand thumb rest is adjustable. Thanks for any help you can provide. (The screw on my thumb rest is extremely tight, and I don't want to damage the horn messing with something I shouldn't.)

ps I emailed this question to Keilwerth 5 days ago and have not heard back from them. I'm guessing they are still feeling the effects of their financial problems.

#3 ·
The thumbrest on my SX-90 is adjustable. I would assume yours is too. But be careful unscrewing it. I used the biggest flathead screwdriver I had, and covered it with a tee shirt to make it fit snugly in the slot, and it still bent the screw slot a little bit. But it did work. It doesn't allow for very much adjustment, though. I would have liked to have angled the thumbrest out even further than I was able to.

#4 ·
Yes it is adjustable. My SX-90R alto was the same way. I tired to no avail to loosen it. I finally took it to my repair tech and told him to do it. Hes said he used a nylon covered brass screw driver and it took a heck of a lot of force to loosen it. Now all is good. My tenor was not anywhere near so tight.

#5 ·
Thanks very much everyone. Based on your comments, I layered a few strips of green electrical tape over my largest flat-head screwdriver, and ... It worked !! :) However, as Buck said, it doesn't allow for large adjustments. :( Nevertheless, I'll see how it goes.

It has always surprised me that - so far as I know - no one markets slip-on thumb rests (for tenor) that allow adjustments as large as 1/4 - 1/2 inch down and/or for greater angles. I have run across threads that discuss the Keilwerth ergos, and I must admit that my right pinky would appreciate a lower, more angled thumb rest on the Shadow. I've had the opportunity to play a few Mk VIs, and I don't feel the same "stretch" on them.

Well, thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.