P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Kessler Performance or Kessler Standard

Default Kessler Performance or Kessler Standard

So i am looking for my first saxophone to buy. I've been playing clarinet in the ball park for 10ish years started playing saxophone over the summer with a school's sax that I've rented. So far it's really come secondhand and I've had no trouble picking it up after about a half a month of playing. Well, this is a rental horn, so it's not going to be mine forever, so now seems like a good time for me to buy one.

I've seen a lot of positive things about Kessler's and have looked into them. So now I'm wondering what are the differences between the kessler performance or standard, if there are any besides price and its engraving, and which one would be better for playing jazz. Also, feel free to shoot any suggestions for other horns that are as good in the 500-700 range.

As a side note, what would be a good mouthpiece to look into for jazz cause I'm pretty sure I could do better than my yamaha 5c mouthpiece

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

Default Re: Kessler Performance or Kessler Standard

I suggest you call Dave Kessler directly. He's a really straight shooter and will listen to what you need and steer you in the right direction, whether it results in a sale or not.

As to mouthpiece, my main tenor piece right now is a Kessler OL7 "intermediate" model (50/50 plastic-rubber composite) that I bought from a member here. It's just slightly to the 'bright' side in my opinion, but is great for all types of music and plays like a dream. So you may just be able to get everything taken care of in one call.

Let us know how it goes.
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

Forum Contributor 2011 thadnoland's Avatar

I own a Kessler Custom Deluxe Tenor and have been extremely happy with it. I purchased it as a backup horn and it fills that role quite nicely. Also, I sold the OL7 to Mick.

I would definitely seriously consider the Kessler Performance saxophone. It is lighter weight being post to body construction, not ribbed, so it blows freer than the Standard/Deluxe. Also, that price for a student saxophone is hard to beat.

Of course, Yamaha 23s are the de-facto standard student horn but run about $1800 for an alto & $2200 for a tenor.

As Mick stated above, Dave Kessler is extremely helpful & easy to talk to on the phone. You should give him a call.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by thadnoland View Post
    ... I sold the OL7 to Mick...
    may i ask why? that's all i have experience with - just wondering what your thoughts are.
    if you could hear what i hear, you'd like it a lot better than what i play.

Thad nailed it. The principle difference is in the weight of the construction. The "Performance" models are single post construction whereas the "Standard" model uses heavier ribbed construction.

There are other package differences such as case, mouthpiece, pearls (plastic on the Performance, mother of pearl on the Standard) and engraving. But the root design of the 2 are the same with only the post construction being the difference. Each horn uses the same body tube and keys.

Quote Originally Posted by ten man View Post
    may i ask why? that's all i have experience with - just wondering what your thoughts are.
    I use a Phil Barone Jazz 7* on tenor. My backup tenor mpc is an Otto Link STM NY 7*.

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ten man View Post
    So you're a Kessler OL7 guy too, Ten? I have to say I've been thrilled with this piece so far. Good projection and bright enough for me, but unlike my Jumbo Java it can also sing sweetly when I want it to. Intonation and consistency across the range are great.

In my desperate mpc search (I've worked with a dozen now), I bought a Link Tone Edge 6 at almost the same time and have played them side by side. To me the Kessler is a much richer, clearer tone, and can also get louder and nastier when I feel like it. The tip opening of .100" is just right for me now.

I think now I FINALLY have a piece I can roll with for a while. I'm going to unload the Link and even my Gale Hollywood 3M now, though the Jumbo T75 can be fun to play loud blues stuff with.
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Stuppguy View Post
    ...I have to say I've been thrilled with this piece so far. Good projection and bright enough for me, but unlike my Jumbo Java it can also sing sweetly when I want it to. Intonation and consistency across the range are great.

In my desperate mpc search (I've worked with a dozen now), I bought a Link Tone Edge 6 at almost the same time and have played them side by side. To me the Kessler is a much richer, clearer tone, and can also get louder and nastier when I feel like it. The tip opening of .100" is just right for me now.

I think now I FINALLY have a piece I can roll with for a while...
    Great to hear the mpc is working out for you, Mick!!!

i have a couple, but i don't remember which model of the kessler OL7 (not the student model) they are. i don't know how to tell, either, or what the differences would be. mine don't have the kessler logo on them (may be before they were doing that). anyway, i ordered them with the horn, which is my 1st ever sax, so i have absolutely NO experience to compare them. cool to hear you're liking it. i wonder if your 'model' is/sounds different than mine. if i find which model i have, i'll post it.
    if you could hear what i hear, you'd like it a lot better than what i play.