P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: hot sax baffles are great

Default Re: hot sax baffles are great

I was wondering about these after someone suggested I use putty. are they worth it?
    King Super 20 Silversonic alto - 443xxx

I totally think so! I had a standard mouthpiece and added one of those........suddenly it became a monster.......

I would like to know what refacer say about them.........do refacers sometimes suggest to try them first?

anyone?

at 10 bucks for 2, I think I'll give 'em a shot.

it uses an adhesive, have you found it leaves any sort of gummy residue? any chance it'd come off and get wedged in the neck?

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    it uses an adhesive, have you found it leaves any sort of gummy residue? any chance it'd come off and get wedged in the neck?
    It could conceivably come off, but if it did that would indicate that the adhesive was shot. It could wedge at the opening of the neck, but once it gets past that point, it is unlikely to wedge anywhere else because the horn only continues to get wider. I could see it rattling around in a tenor neck or the coil of a bari, but in either case you should be able to shake it out.
    SAX QUARTET (trio, sextet, etc.): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

I tried these when they were called power tone baffles. They suck! The mouthpiece played and sounded awful after installing one of these in the chamber and they are nearly impossible remove. I had to pry it off and then scrape the adhesive off of my metal Link with a razor blade and it still shows the scars to this day. Invest in a good high baffle mouthpiece instead of wrecking your current mouthpiece with one of these.

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar

Had a bad experience with mine....I tried them and they kept coming off as I played the moisture made them slip right off...Couldn't get any of them to stick for any period of time...I did have a mouthpiece with one it that lasted a long time but that sax baffle was called powertone or something...still a stick-on type baffle but it help MUCH better...don't think they are made any more...the eBay ones didn't stick for me...

R

Well, If it is just for fun, try it.
    If one is serious on doing added-baffle experiment, I prefer to create my own baffles using different kinds of materials

Quote Originally Posted by Barijim View Post
    I tried these when they were called power tone baffles. They suck! The mouthpiece played and sounded awful after installing one of these in the chamber and they are nearly impossible remove. I had to pry it off and then scrape the adhesive off of my metal Link with a razor blade and it still shows the scars to this day. Invest in a good high baffle mouthpiece instead of wrecking your current mouthpiece with one of these.
    wow, exactly what I was scared of happening. good to know!! I think I'll hold off on such novelty.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

I think they are a good product. I used one for years when I was playing a Meyer on alto. I have one in my bass clarinet mouthpiece too. You can reposition them to get the best results but then you should use a fresh one so it stays put. If there is any glue residue, just clean it of with a dab of laquer thinner.

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

Okay, I was ashamed to admit it, but in a weaker moment I broke down and ordered these. I can't say they sucked on my tenor pieces. In fact, I can't say they did much of anything on the two I tried, other than leave a small sticky spot that I was able to rub off.

I did try different spots, but they never did seem to make any difference in terms of tone, cut, volume, or whatever. I don't see any harm in trying them other than what else you could have done with the 12 bucks.

Maybe they have some effect on altos, but for my tenor HR's, zilch. I think I have one still that I never took the backing off. PM me if you want it. I'll even provide the stamp.
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

Long tones work better...

Besides, unless a major player, like, say, David Sanborn, uses a product, I don't want any part of it...
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

They used to come in different sizes when they were called "Power Tone". Maybe the tenor/bari size is discontinued?