Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    E-mail problem

Default Sax in Malaysia?

Hi! I am new here in SOTW. Have been playing the tenor for 3 years now and just wondering if there are any members here from Malaysia? I don't find a lot of players (sorry, the word should be 'any') in Miri, Sarawak where I am staying.

Would be extremely pleased to meet up and practice together.

Cheers!

Hey Doremefaman,

If you didn't read some of the other threads, I'm from KL, actually. I posted in some of the Singapore threads.

I definitely don't know any saxophone players in Miri, but I know of at least two jazz players there who're real kick-*** players. Used to work with one of them Eugene Suboh. Real killer player.. way-out ideas he plays. I think he works with the Ministry now, in Kuching.

Kuching Jazz Festival comin' up right?

Later.

E-mail problem

Hello, Julian

Thanks for replying. Its good to know that there are fellow Malaysians here. The two people you mentioned are both in Sarawak? I wonder if I can look them up when I go to Kuching?

I just visited your cool website. So, you play the Soprano? I read that its the most difficult sax to play on this forum somewhere. What got you interested in the Soprano? I play a brandless China made tenor sax which someone sold me for RM1000. Its a steal considering that it is pretty decent if played on a good mpc. I actually want to buy an alto and have zeroed in on two now; YAS475 and the Jupiter Artist Series. Any idea which is a better buy?

I play jazz music and my favourite type is smooth jazz and jazz fusion. I also like the bossanova. Can't quite catch free jazz like Coltrane, yet.

Cheers!
    (Hoping that I can go to the Kuching Jazz Fest this time )

E-mail problem

Default Kuching Jazz Festival

Hey Julian,

Can't seem to find any info on Kuching Jazz Fest 2004 on the internet. All they've got is last year's Jazz Fest. Were you at the Fest?

Doremifaman

Hey Doremifaman,

Yeah, both of them are in Sarawak, you should look them up. Play with them and learn stuff.

Uh, I'm not sure about whatever site the Kuching Jazz Fest ppl are putting. But it's on... 21st August. I'll be playing there with two bands.

Okay, about my website, if you check the Last Updated date.. it's like over a millenia ago! I haven't updated my site in two eternities! hehehee.. What I am now is way different from what I put at my site. I play more alto now, and very less of soprano. I still do, in fact I play all three saxes and flute now. But I'm primarily and alto guy.

Yes, the soprano is one of the most difficult saxophone to play and control. Your airflow must be really firm. You need to really push the air so that you don't end up tightening up your embouchure. I still fight it sometimes. I got interested in the soprano because of (gasp!) Kenny G. But it was Dave Koz that got me to playing the saxophone. But like I said, I'm more an alto guy now. I play a variety of styles (so that I don't miss out on the bread money), but my love is jazz. I'm into Kenny Garrett and Bird right now. I was into smooth/contemporary jazz before... my fave guy: Eric Marienthal! In fact, when I'm playing in a more contemporary setting, i think you can hear a lot of his influence in my playing.

Get the YAS-475. I think it'll play and last better than the Jupiter. Yamaha's aren't my fave horns, but they're made good in quality, although the sound isn't to my liking. But then again, different people, different responses.

Hope to see you in Kuching!

Ciao

E-mail problem

Default Wow!

Hi, Julian!

Wow! (again ) You are playing at the Kuching Jazz Fest! Gee, you have got to be very good. From your website, you were studying to do accounts. (Just realised that we were both from 1978) Are you a full time musician now? I think I will check out the flight details and make plans for this trip to see it.

Take care.

Hello!! I am 16, from Perak. Played the alto sax. I joined the my school band. Thats SMJK NanHwa.

hey...

Yeah, I'm a full time musician. Been doing it for 4 years now. I really, REALLY need to update my website... hehehe...

Hey John low... you going to Sydney huh? THat's cool, man. Make sure you check out the jazz clubs and jazz bands there! It's really happening over there.

Later.

E-mail problem

Hi, Johnlow!

So great to know you . Are you in the marching band or the jazz band?I know that there are some very active jazz bands in school over there in Semenanjung Malaysia as they have the Philips Jazz competition or something. When I was still at school about 10 years ago, there wasn't such a thing at all

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Doremifaman
    I actually want to buy an alto and have zeroed in on two now; YAS475 and the Jupiter Artist Series. Any idea which is a better buy?

I have a YAS-32 Alto for sale, this is the earlier version of the YAS475. In case if you are interested and will be travelling to West Malaysia or Singapore. Let me know

E-mail problem

Hi, Tubbycub

I will in fact be coming to S'pore in September for the Anthony Robbins Seminar. How long have you been playing the YAS-32?

Maybe you can send me an email at lukebong@ibs.edu.my? BTW, are there any place in S'pore where I can look for some tenor sax mpc?

Thanks

I am in Marching Band. Our school dont have a Jazz band.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremifaman
    BTW, are there any place in S'pore where I can look for some tenor sax mpc?
    Hi Doremifaman,

I have just sent you an email regarding the alto sax.

Are there any specific tenor mouthpieces that you are looking for?

E-mail problem

Hey, Tubbycub

Thanks for the pictures you sent me. That's a wonderful looking horn you sent me.

Regarding the mpc. I would like to buy a jazz mpc or at least be able to try out some before making the purchase as there's none whatsoever in Miri. I tried to order from WWBW but for some mpc, the shipping is even more expensive than the actual item

Cheers!

Hey guys,

just a little gig notice, the Sunrise Jazz Festival at Plaza Mont Kiara, KL, will probably start this weekend. DOn't know the full details, but it'll probably go on for at least 4 weekends. Starts 8.15pm.

I'm playing this Saturday (31st july) and next Friday (6 Aug)

Doremifaman: To order and really make use of the shipping charges, I'd order the mouthpiece along with reeds or any other small items. Paying it now is also easy using Western Union, just go to any Pos Malaysia office and tell'em you're paying to a company registered under Western Union. First you register an account with WWBW, make your order, then choose Western Union as your payment option. I recently ordered a Selmer Soloist E mpc for my alto, and a bunch of Vandoren ZZ reeds, and the shipping costs the same, around US$28 or something like that.

But that really means you gotta spend a lot.. Hehehe..

Hey George, how you doin' man?

Later...

Unfortunately, Singapore is just like Malaysia, has very limited options on sax accessories. Most of the shops I had visited here carry on the the Selmer S80s and a couple of Berg Larsens.

I had tested out several tenor mouthpieces. Here are my findings:

Runyon metal Quantum: my personal favourite, it comes with a spoiler that can help you get both bright and slighter darker tone. Basically, it is like 2 mpcs for the price of one.

Otto Link: has a dark and slightly buzzy tone, good for Hawkins-like ballads but lacks the big sound for loud playing.

Dukoff D: very bright tone and needs a bit of time to control it as it tends to squeak easily.

Selmer metal E: very dark tone, very suitable for symphonic music.

Selmer S80 C*/F: even darker tone than the metal equivalent.

What Julian said was very true. You should accumulate a list of items when you want to order online. WWBW seems to absorb the shipping charges when your order is more than US$200. So, you should get a few friends and accumulate the things to buy, in this way, you will be able to to spread out the charges.

I had an experience whereby WWBW did not charge me a cent on shipping when I just ordered one Dukoff baritone mpc. Don't know if they had made a mistake or what. I just called them on the phone and that was that.

Hi Julian, I am doing fine. How about you?

E-mail problem

Thanks Tubbycub for the info. Looks like I will have to keep searching and waiting for the tenor mouthpiece I tried to order from Yamaha in Miri for their 6C model but no news yet.

Julian, don't we just wish that there's someone we know in the US and is about to come back and don't mind bringing some of our orders for the price of a drink at the club?

I saw the Runyon on WWBW and was wondering if that would be the right mouthpiece. Thanks for your advice on that piece, tubbycub. The tenor that I am playing is a second hand horn that was made in China. I think the horn is about 10 years old. It has a stock mouthpiece which I just can't wait to change. The previous owner has actually dropped it so the bow actually rattles when I play F1 and Bb1(this note has a metallic sound and it is not smooth. Could it be me or the horn?) I have to bang it lightly to stop the rattling. I have had 2 gigs with it already so its quite dear to me still. I figure with a good mpc maybe I can get a better performance sound wise.

Cheers!

E-mail problem

Hi, Julian!

Wish I could be there to see you in action on the 31st. All the best!

I've checked. The Jazz festival will be on in Kuching on the 21 next month. Unfortunately, I can't make it . It is too close to another trip that I will be making to S'pore. Who else will be performing?

Cheers!

Hey George, doing okay la..busy period coming, THANK GOD!!! If not i'd be bored to my wits not playing, man! Got the Sunrise Jazz Fest this two weekends, then the Kuching Jazz Fest... ahhh... shows!!!!! I think i'll plan my singapore trip after Kuching.

Doremifaman.. hahaha... don't we all wish for that! But alas. Then again, it's faster for WWBW to deliver direct. If wait for somebody to come back, assuming you know somebody, the wait already probably cost as much as the shipping! So I'd still go for online order. But have to save a bit la.. but worth it la. In my case anyway, cos I use for work and shows!

I've heard a lot of good reviews about Runyon, and also Jody Jazz, and they're not as expensive I reckon? Try them out la. But whatever it is, immaterial of mouthpiece or horn, you just gotta work on your own sound. Cos how good your horn or mouthpiece, if you ain't got a good sound, you ain't got a good sound. Take Razak Rahman for example.. he's a sax/clarinet legend in KL. ANything he plays sounds beautiful, even on a LARK China made horn that leaks so bad, he has to soak the damn thing in water for it to work, and he still sounds like a monster! ANy mouthpiece, ANY horn... works for him man! Can sound like Sanborn if he wants, Sonny Stitt even, if he wants!

So...long tones, long tones, overtones, overtones!

Ciaos mates..

Keep practicing..

E-mail problem

Default Kuching Jazz Fest

Hey, Julian!

Were you 'torching' at the Jazz Fest? Really felt bad that I can't go watch. Hopefully they will have another one next year.

Got my mpc already. Finally settled with a Yamaha 6C. Cured some of my squeaking problems already.

Cheers!
    Doremifaman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast