Sax on the Web Forum banner

Unc asheville

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  OboeGuy 
#1 ·
Anyone know or heard anything about the music program at UNC Asheville? Thinking about going there...

#2 ·
It's a nice town - you'll likely play out a lot. It's also cheap to live in AVL, and NC universities have some of the most competitive tuition in the country.

The program? Eh.

#3 ·
Considering the school only has three degree programs to offer, I would think that the program itself is very limited. The school doesn't even have a designated saxophone teacher but a 'woodwinds' instructor who may or may not be very good in saxophone education. It's ultimately up to you but I would look for a school that has more to offer in terms of degree programs (UNC Wilmington might be a better choice). It also depends on how far you are willing to travel for schooling. My college (Mansfield University) offers nine undergraduate/graduate degree options in the concentration of music. Other schools may have more or slightly less. Just keep looking around; you'll find a good school. Have you looked into Northwestern? Expensive, but a great school nonetheless.

Also, I see you're literally in the backyard of SIUC. They seem to offer plenty of options for a music degree program; would that not be a good school for you to attend? The prof there seems to have a pretty solid background.

#4 ·
If you're looking into schools in North Carolina, have you considered University of North Carolina School of the Arts, or UNC-Greensboro?

Taimur Sullivan at UNCSA is an incredible player and even better teacher, and Steve Stusek at UNCG is a great player himself, and has turned out some monster players.

#5 ·
As a NC resident, UNCSA is a great school. (I'm a graduate with my Masters and Bachelors). I'd also say that UNCG and Appalachian State would be great. I haven't heard much about Wilmington's program, but I've heard good things about East Carolina University's voice department. You might be able to check out their instrumental program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.