P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Santy Runyon Tenor Sax and Unidentified Runyon Mouthpiece

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

Default Santy Runyon Tenor Sax and Unidentified Runyon Mouthpiece

I bought a Santy Runyon tenor sax this week (yep . . . his own stencil), and it had what I guess is an older Runyon mp with it that doesn't match anything on their website. First of all, it's white plastic - no other materials. Shaped similar to an 88 or an SR (long and skinny). The only markings on it are "Runyon" and either a "6" or a "9". Read table down it's a "6". The shank is ribbed, with three little steps after the ribbing before stepping up to the table. It came with a gold single-screw inverted ligature. Any idea of what this mouthpiece might be? I can email a photo if that would help. Thanks.

Also, the tenor itself remains somewhat of a mystery. An Evette-Schaeffer (sp?) has been suggested, but not nailed down. It is French and it shares the 2XXX serial number range with Santy's SML alto stencils. Any information about these tenors would be greatly appreciated.

Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2008 Hurling Frootmig's Avatar

I would love to see photos of the mouthpiece and the horn.
    "We'd all play like Stan (Getz) if we could" - John Coltrane

~~~~~~~~
    The Woodwind Forum

Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2008 Hurling Frootmig's Avatar

Runyon 22 - I think judging from the photos I have seen and the fact that I have a couple of these pieces (the white Buescher mouthpiece).

Fred sent me photos and the mouthpiece looked like a Runyon 88/Conn Comet.
    "We'd all play like Stan (Getz) if we could" - John Coltrane

~~~~~~~~
    The Woodwind Forum

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

I received an email from Paul Coats indicating that the mouthpiece was essentially a Comet. Santy designed the mp's for the Conn Constellation and later used the remaining blanks with just his own logo. It is indeed a good match for the Comet photos he sent me; only the marking was different.

I'm truly amazed at how much more available information is today compared to 20-30 years ago. Of course, none of this internet technology would be worth a plugged nickel if it weren't for people out there willing to freely share what they know. To all the guys that gave freely of your time and knowledge, THANKS!