Antigua Winds

P Mauriat

Thread: Another Barone Curved Soprano Review

Forum Contributor 2011 TMadness1013's Avatar

Default Another Barone Curved Soprano Review

Hi all,

I've always been drawn to curved sopranos - probably has something to do with my Rascherite roots. While I'm primarily a vintage horn player, I don't really care for the mechanics on vintage curvies. I've played probably 4 or 5 Conns, a few Bueschers & an Evette Schaeffer- not for me. This has led me to modern curved soprano quest which has gone on for approximately 6 years. I've played 4 Cannonballs, 2 Yanigisawas, and one Paul Mauriat. Of those, the PM won in terms of sound (by a long shot) & ergonomics (a little more comfortable to me than the Yani) But, the price wasn't ideal on the Mauriat & I wasn't crazy about the look of the pearls. I decided to take a shot on the Barone.

Glad that I did! Wow - this beats out all the modern curvies I've played. Here are some thoughts:

Intonation: For the most part, SPOT on with Phil's vintage 7*. The high C# is flat & I'm finding I have to really work to get it to where it needs to be. Everything else is spot on, including the palm keys. Altissimo is perfect. The overtone series speaks very easily & is perfectly in tune - always a good sign.

Tone:
    FULL sound. So often, I've found sopranos to sound thin. In it's lower register, it almost sounds big enough to be a tenor. It doesn't thin out drastically in the palm keys - still nice & robust. It cuts in all registers, but not in an obnoxious way. The sound is very round and warm.

Response: Best I've ever had from a soprano. The perfect amount of resistance. Low Bb purrs on this horn. I've never found ANY saxophone, let alone a soprano that speaks so easily in the low register. Every note pops out effortlessly - even altissimo.

Ergonomics: I feel I can't really do a good write up here because I'm used to the feel of my vintage Conns but I felt comfortable with this horn right away. Of the modern curvies I've played, it feels most similar to a Mauriat. It should also be noted that this horn is built like a tank. Very solid workmanship.

Look: You can judge for yourself from pics but it looks great to me. There are actually a few scratches on one of the braces & a few small spots here & there (typical of new bare brass instruments???) but I don't mind. It looks a ton better than my other horns

The only thing I've run across so far that is a problem the the low C# is a little sluggish to respond & I'll probably have to tweak things a little. No leaks - just a timing issue.

Another user who recently review the PB curved soprano mentioned he wasn't happy with the case - I think it'll do a fine job, personally. Yes, there is a little wiggle room for the horn - but nothing to be concerned about. If there was that amount of wiggle room in a gig bag I'd be worried - but this case is solid & the wiggle room is very little.

I'll try & get pics up soon!

Default Re: Another Barone Curved Soprano Review

Here's one - more to come over the weekend

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

That's great! Glad you like the soprano!
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

TM - I hear you loud and clear, especially about how these instruments speak on the palm keys, and their overall intonation. They are killers, there is no doubt about it. I use the same MP as you with a Selmer 2 Screw Ligature (Swapped my Bonade because I finally found a Selmer) and it plays like a MF. As I have said before I have ordered another from Phil, this time in Black Nickel, with black MOP and Gold Keys, simply because they are cheap enough and I will have two killer Sopranos. Congratulations and enjoy your new baby. Id love to do a side by side with a Selmer Series III. I know for a fact they kill the Series II's.

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar

makes me wanna get one too! argh!

Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar

more pics???
    this is a lack on Barone´s website... no pics at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CONN-hunter View Post
    more pics???
    this is a lack on Barone´s website... no pics at all.
    Yeah I know. Phil did mention that he is working on that . . . .

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar

I'm working on the photos now and I've actually shot two horns. I just haven't found anyone to put them up. I even asked on here ffor a web designer but got no replies. Sorry guys.

Phil Barone

Phil it should make a difference to potential sales as well. Prospects always like to see what they are buying.

Phil it should make a difference to potential sales as well. Prospects always like to see what they are buying.
    I told Phil exactly the same about 1 1/2 years ago. I guess the sales are good in spite of the lack of appealing pictures but see these fancy horns would be nice anyway.

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CONN-hunter View Post
    I told Phil exactly the same about 1 1/2 years ago. I guess the sales are good in spite of the lack of appealing pictures but see these fancy horns would be nice anyway.
    Ya know, there's a combination of reasons as to why the pictures haven't goe up. First, it's very difficult to take good shots. I take ten shots to get one good one. I'm having a good friend come up to give me some advice on this. Another reason is I don't always have the horns in stock. Lastly, I can't get anyone reliable to work on the site so a month ago I bought a new computer and now I have to buy Dreamweaver and learn how to use it. I'll get it together. In another sixty days there will be a lot more phots up. Phil

Hey Phil, I'm actually a pro photographer and a web designer. I did a write up and photos of a curved Cannonball that I bought, you can can checkout the photos I took of the Cannonball here I didnt necessarily shoot those in studio or anything with advertising in mind but you can get the idea.

Let me know if you have a customer in Arizona that we could shoot some photos of their horn or something, maybe in exchange for a mouthpiece or something?

Yep, I need to see the eye candy,before I shell out the candy. Nice pics there!

Ya know, there's a combination of reasons as to why the pictures haven't goe up. First, it's very difficult to take good shots. I take ten shots to get one good one.

Hi Phil,

Its a pitty that I live so far away from you. I´d like to help you taking pictures for free and for fun, of course.

I also love to take pictures, my next camera (Nikon) is coming after I sold my Canon DSLR.

I am looking forward to see what you manage.

cheers

I consider myself a good photographer, but only when I take photos of myself . . . . . .

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar

Hey Tmadness, I know this thread is somewhat old, but considering that you are a Rascher style player, have you tried out the Barone with a barrel chamber piece? A lot of modern sopranos aren't able to play in tune with a large chamber mouthpiece (can't push in far enough); I was considering trying the Barone out but I need to know if it can play in tune with the type of mouthpieces I favor.
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

^ You might favor a different mouthpiece on a new horn as opposed to an older horn like your Buescher curved soprano. Also, I play a Barone straight soprano with the same Barone 7* HR mouthpiece that the O.P mentioned. I found that for me the Barone mouthpiece makes the palm keys speak more easily than other mouthpieces (I have tried a BARI 64, Supersession J and Supersession H) on my Barone straight soprano. I have heard others mention that for them the Barone soprano mouthpiece makes the palm keys speak more easily for them, so this might be part of what makes the palm keys speak easily on these horns.

Seeker Of A Clever Title. zxcvbnm's Avatar

True, but see, the mouthpieces I prefer are essential to the tonal concept I'm trying to achieve on soprano (no nasalness, as close to an alto sound as possible) and a smaller chamber destroys that. So I need both a mouthpiece and horn that are conducive to this (tonally, the horn matters much less so I just need something that plays in tune!).
    Buescher curved soprano silver plate high F/Jicaino custom large chamber sop piece
    Buescher Aristocrat 140 silver plate /Jicaino refaced Buescher piece

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I've had mine for over two years and I am very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbnm View Post
    Hey Tmadness, I know this thread is somewhat old, but considering that you are a Rascher style player, have you tried out the Barone with a barrel chamber piece? A lot of modern sopranos aren't able to play in tune with a large chamber mouthpiece (can't push in far enough); I was considering trying the Barone out but I need to know if it can play in tune with the type of mouthpieces I favor.
    Great question - I've been enjoying playing the Barone piece on it so much (I'm more of a jazz player than classical these days) that I don't think I've even tried my Rascher piece or a vintage Buescher soprano piece yet. I'll try & do this soon & post an update.