Sax on the Web Forum banner

Selmer classical metal mpc

7K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  rjent 
#1 ·
So I see one of the grandfathers of classical saxophone, Marcel Mule, played on a Selmer Classical metal mouthpiece. I'm just curious as to if any individuals here have experience with this piece and what you find the advantages/disadvantages are to it. I currently plan on a S80 C*, which works, but I'm wondering about getting something different; I was pondering a metal Classical, but didn't want to purchase one (since they are rather, rather pricey) without feedback from other players.

Thanks for the input :)

#2 ·
I've used one on alto years ago and I'm using one on soprano now. There is a problem on these Selmer metal pieces. The one I had for alto and
the one I'm using for soprano had uneven facings. One side of the facing was longer than the other. They may have been finished that way intentionaly but the uneven facing adds a lot of resistance and they are not reed friendly. My soprano mouthpiece was refaced to correct the uneven side rails. If you want something different in a classical mouthpiece, I would suggest trying the Selmer S90 in a 190 facing.
martinm

#3 ·
londeix also used one of these, there are a few different versions and i find that earlier, shorter ones with the heavily flutes sides play better, they have a different baffle to throat configuration. also mule stated somewhere that he generally played the rubber selmer piece but used the metal one in photos because it looked cooler.... they are very similar to the larry teal mouthpieces, you will sound more or less like you would on your s80, if just may make some things easier and some things harder.

the s90's are a lot brighter than the s80's.

#4 ·
I'd really avoid a metal mouthpiece for classical playing. I've never heard anyone currently that I really enjoy playing a metal mouthpiece. I know Londeix and Mule used them, but as refined players as they were, I just think it is too bright and edgy. Find a mouthpiece that can facilitate brightness when you want it, darkness when you need it, and everything in between. I used to play a C*, but switched to a caravan and have never looked back, although Al3's are great too.

#5 ·
I just suppose I'll have to do some looking around. I've been looking at the Vandoren's for a while now; will have to check those out (thank you Mr./almost Dr. Smith). Thanks for the feedback; please keep it coming!

#6 ·
I played a sterling silver C* all through HS and college (60's 70's) and I like the beautiful "classical" sound. It was easy to play and gave a very mellow controllable sound. I found it very reed friendly. i even used it for marching band. If you get a chance to play a few, do so, you might like them!

As always, JMHO

#7 ·
This may be different now, but last I heard, Dr. Fred Hemke plays on a metal C*. I personally don't feel that his sound is too bright, and think he has a great sound. Also, Dr. Jonathan Helton performed on a metal mouthpiece (not sure of the brand) at the Navy symposium and I believe the same at the NASA conference (don't quote me on the second one). I loved his sound, as well.

#9 ·
I've got a metal 50's vintage "C" alto around somewhere. Very "dark" aka more resistant than anything else, however I think if it was opened up a little, to a C* and had the facing perfected would probably sound pretty similar to a soloist, it might have a very different feeling but sound wise I can't see why it would be different. Also, as of last year or so Euge Groove uses one on his alto set up that was opened up, I've asked him about what exactly was done, but never got a reply.
They really aren't that expensive, I picked mine up a few years ago for around $100 off ebay. I can't say I've seen a solid silver one, rjent I'd like to see pics if you still have it, the one I have is definitely silver plated. Also I doubt after playing the one I have you would call it bright at all. My C* or soloist style HR are much more free blowing and "bright" players. The metal have a very "dead" feeling I guess. I usually bring my Grafton to play a sax xmas, I think I know the mouthpiece I will be playing on next year, I still bet you can't pick me out. ;)

#11 ·
I can't say I've seen a solid silver one, rjent I'd like to see pics if you still have it, the one I have is definitely silver plated.
You bet Grafton, I will get it out and take some pics for you. It is probably tarnished so I will take some before and after just to show the silver! My parents bought it in about '67, I always thought it was solid, but I may stand corrected. I remember getting some kind of certificate with it (which I unfortunately don't have anymore) that expounded on the Sterling Silver idea. It was purchased new.

#15 ·
I know you guys don't believe me, so, I took the pictures in before tarnish and after. :lol: I will upload them to photobucket tomorrow! :thumbrig: :mrgreen:

#14 ·
I thought that discussion was deleted. Huh.

This is a topic that seems to come up here A LOT. It always boils down to this:

1. Mule, Hemke, etc. played on them, but there are better choices.
2. They sound cold.
3. They're faced poorly like most Selmer pieces (vintage ones excluded).
4. Some people want to defend them because it isn't the mouthpiece, it's the player, etc.

#16 ·
OK here they are:
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn263/rjent/music/?action=view&current=a3cfb3ae.pbw

This is a slide show. This MPC was new in '67 or '68. It came with all kinds of paperwork which I don't have anymore. I marched in HS and College with it played symphonic and jazz/swing band(s) in HS and College and then giged for a few years during and after HS, Collage. With all of the scratches and wear, I have never seen anything to indicate it is a plated MPC. It is very heavy. What I probably ought to do is measure the displacement of water and do the math for the weight of silver.

Anyway, what do you think? Does it look solid to you? I always just thought it was .... :|

#19 ·
Anyway, what do you think? Does it look solid to you? I always just thought it was .... :|
I think that it's very unlikely that this is sterling. Is there a 'sterling' or '925' stamp, or any other sterling hallmark? If not, it's a silver-plate. I have several, and they're very good players.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.