Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why sax players attract women......

100K views 166 replies 77 participants last post by  SteveS 
#1 ·
Hi,
this is a funny topic, but I think you know what I talk about.........

when you like a girl and take her to a session on which you are playing, she suddenly likes you too......it works so often that it is almost cheating..........I in fact hesitate these days to take girls to own sessions........

How do you explain this?

Here are my thoughts:

- Girls like to see the guy expressing his emotions.
- Girls like to see a group of men working towards a common goal (like hunting in nature etc).
- Girls like men who have skill in something.
- Girls love romance, especially in music.

What are your thoughts on that funny topic?

#36 ·
What sax is she holding in this pic? Is that an alto bari?

Attachments

#37 ·
For those who are too late to see the image. There might have been a sax in it. Maybe a Conn?

check google images for romantic collection saxophone if you must know

#40 ·
I used to have this discussion with fellow musicians years ago. We decided women are attracted to guys that are doing something, ie performing. They like to see men working. Your up there playing and they can see that well maybe you are not a useless dork and can actually do something skillful. Doesn't matter if it's a saxophone or some other instrument. I've worked a lot of carpentry as a day gig over the years and incredibly it happens on residential construction sites when women are around the neighborhood as well. It may be hormonal, haha. Of course most guys don't mind looking at women musicians performing either.

#44 ·
You guys crack me up.
That thing about the 'tonguing' and 'fingering' talents.... You have to be able to come up with something better than that tired old line. :bluewink:

#45 ·
I've never bragged, just demonstrated.

It's all word of mouth...

#47 ·
I have a drummer/vocalist friend who played in a rock band some years ago now.
They were minor celebrities and toured Australasia, Asia and Europe quite extensively.

I called around to see him a while back and he was looking a bit depressed.
I asked him what the problem was.

He said that since he hooked up with Facebook, he has been getting calls from
all these ladies claiming that he fathered a child with them.

He has already defended one case by taking DNA tests at considerable expense.
Now he is wondering what to do about the rest of them.

Moral : We reap what we sow.

The rest of you guys that think the saxophone attracts women. Dream on.
Many of them think it is a trumpet.

#49 ·
If I was getting calls from all these ladies claiming that I fathered their children, I'd say that can't be true - I had a vasectomy. The burden is on them to prove otherwise.

#51 ·
I just remembered that my wife saw me first on the sax before seeing me sing and play the guitar. She confessed a few years after marriage that she was only looking for a notch in her belt and to outdo the other girl in our office whom I had dated briefly. I kind of like being viewed as an object, conquest, and/or possession.

#52 ·
I was once playing at a club in New York (I think it was the Ritz) and one of the security gentlemen said there was a young lady who wished to speak to me. I went out to meet her, she was the most beautiful woman I'd ever laid eyes on. She asked if she could come back to my hotel room. I was, naturally, a little taken aback so I said that would be nice but it would be best if we went out for a meal first, maybe get to know each other.

"Oh no, don't worry then" she said and walked off.

#55 ·
Haha, dear friends,

I did not expect that my thread would become so popular! hahaha!

so many good stories!!!!!! I laughed so hard this evening!!! You made my day fellows.........

So here a summary:

it really comes down to these things in addition to my previous list:

- seeing guys working on sth
- "physical ability" ;-)
- that shiny thing
- being in the center of attention (the stage)
- something special / non-mainstream

it is sad but it is really true what one of us said: I do remember that phrase a girl told me: "you played the trumpet so well this night"

It is a SAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#56 ·
I have played everything in the band but drums. Same results, but there is certainly something about the sax, women get even crazier than normal, and I'm starting to need the leverage (-:

#57 ·
"I was once playing at a club in New York (I think it was the Ritz) and one of the security gentlemen said there was a young lady who wished to speak to me. I went out to meet her, she was the most beautiful woman I'd ever laid eyes on. She asked if she could come back to my hotel room. I was, naturally, a little taken aback so I said that would be nice but it would be best if we went out for a meal first, maybe get to know each other.

"Oh no, don't worry then" she said and walked off. "

Pete, I LOVE that story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#58 ·
I do not intend to become too vulgar, but there is a story about Charlie Parker............

after a gig a girl came up to him and said **********CENSURED***************

she waited the whole night until he finished his gig and brought him home..................

I think the story is in Parker's biography (the book)..........it is said that he even made a song out of it called *************CESNURED**************

#61 ·
My wife told me that playing the sax was one of the least attractive things about me. All those other women pushing her aside and getting mean, trying to gain my attention, picking fights and sending their boyfriends after her to the point that I had to get the bouncers to show their presence.

How did I ever win her over? Maybe it was because I never thought about the saxophone when I was with her. I don't know? I'm a moron at heart. Fumbled over my own feet, fell on my face when a nice chick paid attention to me, didn't even know how to buy a girl a drink. Thank GOD I did something right....???

Actually, being the engineer/producer dude was where the fun was (she just confessed).

#62 ·
I do enjoy listening to a good band.
There are a few young, and not so young women out there that try to score with the drummer, guitar player, sax player...
If I see one of the band members at the bar or in the parking lot I'll compliment on the evenings performance and leave it at that.
I've never wanted to be, or add another tally to a score card. Nothing against those who do, it's just not me.
You might be kinda cute and I might really like how you play, but that's as far as it goes.

#68 ·
I always thought that it was less the instrument and more of the general aura of confidence that we project that attracts women. Maybe I'm wrong.

There are a few young, and not so young women out there that try to score with the drummer, guitar player, sax player...
Indeed. These types usually hang around at the same club week after week trying to score with members of countless bands. And...that's just kinda gross when you think about it.

Heath?

#65 ·
Pete's experience reminded me of a funny thing that happened to me.
I was with a guy in LA.
He managed to lock the keys in the car that we had rented, so he called a friend
to give him a lift to the rental car company to pick up a spare set of keys.
This guy had a Corvette, and so there was no room for me, so I said I would just hang
out in the parking lot and keep an eye on the car, until they came back.
So there I am waiting, and this late model Mustang pulls up beside me, with a lovely lady
at the wheel. She winds down the window, and asks me if I would like a lift and do I want
a good time. I did a double take, and after she let me squirm for a bit, she laughed and
confessed that she was the wife of the guy that owned the Corvette.
They had called her and asked her to pick me up as we were intending to stay at their
house that night. I had not met her prior to that time and thought she was a 'Professional'.

I was totally "punk'd" that day. LOL

#76 ·
This whole thread is starting to remind me of the old story about the guy (let's say he's a musician on break) at a bar. An incredibly gorgeous and sultry woman sits down next to him. She leans over and whispers in his ear, "For $100 I'll do anything you want . . . that you can describe in three words."

The poor guy looks over at her with wide eyes. Looks down at his beer. Twist up his mouth, looks at her again, takes a drink of beer and chokes it down. He closes his eyes, then after a moment, nods to himself. He reaches back to his wallet, pulls out five twenties and counts them out on the bar.

She deftly scoops up the bills and leans toward him. "Well. . . ?" she says in a husky whisper, "What'll it be?"

The man looks her directly in the eyes and says . . . .

"Paint. My. House."

#77 ·
I was standing near a door at a blues jam many lbs....errr...I mean YEARS ago, and a lithe young lady came up beside me, and before I could stop her, she placed her lips in a provocative manner on my sax mouthpiece. When I looked shocked, she asked me if I would like her to do that to me. I replied that I reckoned that her embouchure was not quite right.

I went and washed the mouthpiece. It had red lipstick all over it.

#78 ·
I once hooked up for a night of fun with a gorgeous 6 foot tall college volleyball player turned raft guide (i.e., a bronzed, Amazonian hottie). Afterwards I asked what had attracted her to me. She said she got interested when she heard me playing sax at a party the day before with a guitar player.

That's the only time a woman has ever told me that my sax playing brought her into my arms.

For that one, there are probably many more who ran for their lives when they found out I was a musician !

#79 ·
I remember when I was either 16 or 17, I was playing my first gig with this R & B band in Baltimore. Everyone else in the band were adults and we were playing for a cabaret. I was always tall for my age and appeared older than I was when growing up. The other sax player and I would usually play in the front of the other band members. On this particular night, about halfway through the gig, a very intoxicated woman kept trying to say something to me while trying to climb the stage. When our singer came on, he asked the persistent woman what she wanted, she replied pointed at me and yelled, "I bet he got a big one!" LOL.

#82 ·
"Re: Why sax players attract women......
Originally Posted by sanborn
I do not intend to become too vulgar, but there is a story about Charlie Parker............

after a gig a girl came up to him and said **********CENSURED***************"

She probably said

'Why can't you play more like Gorelick?'

That is why it is both censured and censored

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.