Antigua Winds

View Poll Results: Which is the best professional alto sax?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamaha YAS-62

46 90.20%
  • Jupiter 2069 XO

5 9.80%

Smile Yamaha vs Jupiter

I am going to purchase a new professional alto saxophone for using at a University level but am still undecided on which one. I want a professional sax that is not outrageously priced. My two options are the Yamaha YAS-62 or the Jupiter 2069 XO Alto. I need some advice on which one would be better and why. If you have any advice that would help my decision it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Yamaha vs Jupiter

Go for the Yamaha. Between the two it will last you much longer and has a reputation to stand behind. The 62 will last you beyond your college days not so sure about the Jupiter. Some that I have known that have bought the Jupiters have had problems. I have heard that Jupiters have gotten better but I would not place them in the same class as the Yamaha 62. Just my 2 cents.
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VI (194xxx)
    Alto: P. Mauriat PMXA 67R
    Soprano: Kessler Custom Deluxe (black nickel)

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 DanCraven's Avatar

track record...
    Dan Craven
    dancravenmusic.com

..................... JAZZ!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 HUTMO's Avatar

62... track record indeed.

I think the Jupiter is a fine playing horn for $2000.00, but you will pay more for the 62. A better choice would be the Yanni 901 and Yamaha 62, they are more comparable horns.

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

For $2000 you can add in Selmer Mark VII, Selmer SA80I and some SA80II, and a slew of other great saxes!
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

If you can play-test the Jupiter (and the price is right), consider it. It might well be a great horn. If you have to buy sight unseen and resale value is a major concern, go with the Yamaha. Their reputation for consistency is well-earned.

If the Jupiter is a lot cheaper than the Yamaha, then you may be better off even if the resale value isn't there. 50% of $1,200 and 30% of $2,000 are exactly the same, after all -- you're out $600 either way. (Totally fabricated numbers, but they may not be too far from the truth.)
    SAX ENSEMBLES (quartet, trio, sextet, and more): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Yamaha.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanVintageSax View Post
    For $2000 you can add in Selmer Mark VII, Selmer SA80I and some SA80II, and a slew of other great saxes!
    Agreed. If you can pick up a used SA80 for a decent price, do it! Best horn I ever played was an old beat up SA80 that my old high school had, they reserved it for the "top" students apparently.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

I would spend that money on a Conn 6M Lady Face in excellent condition.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

I think that the 62 is a Ferrari and the Jupiter is a Willis Jeep from WWII.

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

The jupiter is, nt a bad horn at all, but the match against the 62, is really an unfair one, there are many good deals to be had on second hand 62s, if you keep your eye out for one.
    bs gunning

Forum Contributor 2011 SuperMadHatter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    I would spend that money on a Conn 6M Lady Face in excellent condition.
    +1 -you can get a pretty minty 6M in today's economy for that price!
    You say "Bish-er", I say "Boosh-er", let's call the whole thing off.........

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Go used to get the best bang for your buck. Yanagisawa, B&S, Yamaha are very good values in the 'used' market and better than anyone's Jupiter.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Distinguished SOTW Member RandyJ's Avatar
    Belle Harbor-Greenwich, CT and Grindelwald Switzerland

morales,
    If you are looking at Jupiters you should also look at Antigua Winds, I feel they have far surpassed in sound, tone and quality most of the Taiwan manufactures. Their sopranos have had a great following for a while now, their newer alto, tenor and bari are equally fine.

Distinguished SOTW Member Fader's Avatar

If you're gonna keep it - don't worry about the resale value. Play as many different saxes as you can and buy the one you like best. Jupiter makes some good horns. So does yamaha and a slew of others. All manufacturers turn out some dogs too. The "friday afternoon" horns made after a long liquid lunch.

I wasn't really impressed with the Yamaha 62 alto. I ended up with a Yanagisawa a901, which in my opinion is a lot better. I would definitely play test the XO against the Yamaha, as I have a Jupiter 889SG intermediate tenor that I really like. I played it against a Yam 475 tenor and it was better in every way. The Jupiter has stayed in adjustment the 8 months I have owned it (I bought it used).
    Yanagisawa A-901 alto w/92 bronze neck, Vandoren AL-3 mouthpiece w/Bonade lig, La Voz med reeds
    Keilwerth SX90R black nickel tenor, Vandoren TL-4 mouthpiece, Rovner Platinum lig La Voz med hard reeds
    Yanagisawa T-901 tenor
    Sankyo Etude flute
    Miyazawa flute

Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar

For me it's no competition Yamaha to the end both of mine came from factory in perfect adjustment and is still in perfect adjustment after 2.5 years. and the horns both play with a great tone quality, have great ergo's and intonation through the normal areas are spot on, for the money the only rival I can see is Yanagisawa.
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

As Gary said, you'd be better served long-term with a Conn 6M or even a Buescher Aristocrat in mint condition for that sort of bread. I've owned a 62, a Conn "Chu", A Martin Magna, and a Buescher Crat in original condition. I still own the Martin but only play it as a back up. The Martin tenors are a better horn than their altos. I wish I still owned the Conn. Great sound but my hands are the wrong shape for a Conn New Wonder. I liked the 62 but don't regret selling it. The 62 is a good horn. Inoffensive in every way. It's the Ned Flanders of the alto world. The 62 tenor was better. I play the Buescher daily. It's an outstanding horn with light keywork, great ergos, bad keyguards, great intonation and a sound that is easy to shape.

If you have 2K to throw at a horn at your age, then all this discussion is irrelevant anyway. Buy what you fancy. Keep it, or flip it until you meet your perfect match.

I would add that if you're off to college, your professor will have some opinion on what horn he wants you to play.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.