Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is it safe to play the saxophone?

Always remember to practice safe sax.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

Obligatory Simpsons reference:

Bleeding Gums Murphy: You know, you play pretty well for someone with no real problems.
    Lisa: Yeah, but I don't feel any better.
    Bleeding Gums Murphy: The blues isn't about feelin' better. It's about makin' other people feel worse and makin' a few bucks while you're at it.
    SAX ENSEMBLES (quartet, trio, sextet, and more): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

I plan on living forever. So far, so good.
    treat it gentle

Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar

Well, what is your definition of safe?

I've heard of people losing their lives because someone else couldn't pay the $.50 toll fare...

This is a total assumption, and I will take the blunt end of that remark, but I believe that if the passion is strong enough, it will even overcome any physical issues from the "habit".

There are many examples... And worse habits... The heart prevails....

Distinguished SOTW Member mascio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    Im sorry Brasscane but in my many years involved in various areas of the arts Id have to say that is bunk. No disrespect intended but you simply dont have to be miserable to be an artist...that simple
    No, but it helps.
    Swing hard Daddy-O

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

One need empathy and an understanding on the human condition, wallowing in misery is not a necessity...in fact its a hindrance. Music rises above, it doesnt wallow in self pity. If it does its little more than self indulgent rubbish.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Well, seriously, I think there's a very real risk of hearing loss, at least my hearing has gotten worse in past years and I've even developed some tinnitus. Though part of this may be beacuse of also playing keyboards in a very loud heavy metal band (though I use earplugs for that as hearing the tone absolutely correctly is not an issue when playing a synth).

Maybe I should get a pair of custom molded earplugs which are supposed to not affect the perceived tone (like the generic cheap earplugs do, so I don't want to use those with sax), but they are quite expensive.

I've also suffered from a tennis elbow, but that improved after I repositioned the thumb hook on my bari.

As for happy people living longer being nonsense, I believe stress is one of the great killers of our time, especially in a nation like us Finns who already have a high genetical risk of heart diseases. And at least for me, playing relieves the stress greatly, so it must be a good thing.
    So much to tinker, so little time.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Murgo View Post
    Maybe I should get a pair of custom molded earplugs which are supposed to not affect the perceived tone (like the generic cheap earplugs do, so I don't want to use those with sax), but they are quite expensive.
    The cheap generic earplugs are still a LOT better than nothing. Neither type will reduce the level of sound you pick up through your teeth on the mouthpiece or otherwise by bone conduction. This means your "head sound" becomes louder compared to the outside world, even with the expensive earplugs -- and if you've ever listened to a recording of yourself, you know your "head sound" and your recorded sound are VASTLY different. This change in balance was the hardest thing for me to adjust for, when I started wearing them for EVERY gig. With the earplugs in, I just have to hope that the sound I'm projecting is the one I got when I was practicing. I can no longer tell the difference.
    SAX ENSEMBLES (quartet, trio, sextet, and more): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Given that we get a new scare almost every day about how stuff we use can cause us damage, I wonder if any has ever died or got seriously ill from playing a saxophone.

I have heard that oboists can get problems from the back pressure of blowing causing pressure on the brain or something.

Some people worry about brass mouthpieces maybe causing lead poisoniong
    Frankly speaking, a lot of doctors and scientists undergo a lot of similar researchs everyyear. Many of them have already made assumed results and conclusions for their research.They often exaggerate the supporting data and hide those unfavourite data and draw up their own conclusions.Perhaps mainly for drawing the public attention,or fulfill their department request of annual quota of research papers.Sooner or later, a completely contradictory research will be performed and announce their results in the public again. Some doctors only like to tell the patients the rarest,the most severe consequences in order to show their importance regardless of the facts that how rare they are.
    Pete, those doctor assumptions of lead poisioning or brain back-pressure can be totally neglected or considered them as
    a joke.

After 50 years spent performing on various creations of the evil genius Adolphe Sax....I have identified several potential safety hazards. Some admittedly unique to the full time pro player.

Should you find yourself spending great glorious gobs of time operating one of these insidious devices...read on:

============================

1) Tendonitis-been there for sure. Other not-so fun variations: carpal tunnel, trigger finger. Stretch out before practicing everyone. This is completely avoidable.

"Muscle and tendon complaints among musicians include painful muscle syndromes and
    inflammatory disorders of tendons and tendon sheaths."
    ....see post number #26/link#2 from poster Milandro (Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru).

http://rua.ua.es/dspace/bitstream/10...HSE_5_1_10.pdf

2) Compression of the nerves/disks in the spine from wearing a heavy instrument around your neck. Unless you have a 19" neck and play defensive line in the National Football League...buy a shoulder harness. If you don't like the way it looks onstage at least practice with it.

If that doesn't work for you keep your chiropractor, physical therapist or other practitioner of choice on speed dial.

On the other hand, peripheral nerves may be compressed or entrapped in several areas, especially in the upper-limbs, and leading to painful nervous syndromes and inflammatory processes. Entrapment neuropathies are one of the main subject of study among musicians' ailments....once again see post number #26/link #2 from poster Milandro (Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru).

http://rua.ua.es/dspace/bitstream/10...HSE_5_1_10.pdf

3) TMJD-Temporomandibular Joint Disorder-this sucker is a mouthful in more ways than one. When you chew, talk or play a wind instrument the inflamed joint connecting your jaw to your skull goes snap, crackle, pop. Did about 10 hours of playing one day (actually three jobs the same day). Next day i woke up and had lunch (don't do breakfast, I'm a musician ya know?)....every time I chewed or even talked my jaw made weird popping noises...what a mess. Luckily it went away after five days and some immediate professional help. Hysteria is a useful tool for getting past a physician's receptionist on short notice. Remember that and use it !!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporo...joint_disorder

4) Divorce Court, Alimony, Child Support-A hazard for newbie professionals especially. Guys marry some young cutie and immediately go on the road for seven months. They make a surprise visit home only to find some other guy's clothes hanging in their closet.

5) Bankruptcy Court-haven't been there, but yeah....some of my best friends.

6) Borderline Personality Disorder-90% of the women you meet in a bar or backstage at an arena tour have this. They are inexorably drawn to men who display talent in the public arena...(athletes, musicians)...like moths to a flame. They obsessively go where the action is. And they have a personality for every day of the week, almost all of them TOXIC.

They are not labeled insane in the clinical sense but you would be better off locked in a tiny windowless room with a live hand grenade than one of these crazy (w)itches.

Want to work in clubs? Get married first cause this is what you'll meet on the job. It takes a self-reliant person to hook up long term with a pro-musician. The broken ones go to bars. Be aware. Be very, very aware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderl...ality_disorder

Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind - listen to the birds. And don't hate nobody-Eubie Blake

[QUOTE=Pete Thomas;1425406]
    I wonder if any has ever died or got seriously ill from playing a saxophone.
    Probably not... but you know, stress is a major contributor to heart attacks and strokes, and judging by some of the heated debates that rage on S.O.T.W. members are more likely to evoke the effects of stress than say for example, your average Joe....

But on a slightly more serious side, Mouthpieces.... the bit that connects the sax with the human body, all sorts of problems could arise here, and to give an example, i recently used an old hard rubber Selmer Soloist that for some reason started to develop a sour taste whenever i put it in my mouth, after a bit of research and some speculation from members it was decided that the "taste" was in fact a chemical secreted by the hard rubber which was beginning to break down, now it was decided that this chemical was "probably" carcinogenic....

I really don't see why a Chinese sax would be more dangerous than say a French sax or an American sax, at the end of the day who puts the sax in their mouth? i doubt it would work without a mouthpiece somehow....

Happy music isn't serious music. It always reminds me of Mister Rogers neighborhood. I liked happy Disney children's music when I was in kindergarten but now that I'm an adult, it makes me want to puke. I get inspiration from punk rock or Mahler. I prefer roots music played by Blind Lemon Jefferson on a cheap guitar over some spoiled white guy playing the Mark VI he just paid $5,000 for is which one of three horns he owns.

My roommate in college said that sax players always die young. I think that is because they did a lot of drinking and drugs though.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by differencetone View Post
    I prefer roots music played by Blind Lemon Jefferson on a cheap guitar over some spoiled white guy playing the Mark VI he just paid $5,000 for is which one of three horns he owns.
    I prefer to listen to music and evaluate it for what it is, the emotions I feel from it at the time, rather than generalising and basing my tastes on the ethnicity of the performers.

To me, good music is music that moves me because of its has emotional content. Happiness is just one of many emotions, why preclude it from the label "serious music"?

Playing the sax is probably one of the more healthier addictions. I woud certainly die without. In fact I feel the sax playing made me healthier. No asthma anymore.

I prefer to listen to music and evaluate it for what it is, the emotions I feel from it at the time, rather than generalising and basing my tastes on the ethnicity of the performers.

To me, good music is music that moves me because of its has emotional content. Happiness is just one of many emotions, why preclude it from the label "serious music"?
    I don't care about ethnicity but what I do care about is sincere originality rather than mimicry.

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

[QUOTE=kingsax;1425758]
    I really don't see why a Chinese sax would be more dangerous than say a French sax or an American sax, at the end of the day who puts the sax in their mouth? i doubt it would work without a mouthpiece somehow....
    Quite right. I have heard, however, that overexposure to certain Chinese saxophones can cause an accute swelling of the head accompanied by a chronic inability to process certain kinds of information. There's no name for this condition yet, since only very small number of cases has turned up.

There's an interesting documentary on this phenomenon here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GzC5HT1Qhmo

rory
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rleitch View Post
    Quite right. I have heard, however, that overexposure to certain Chinese saxophones can cause an accute swelling of the head accompanied by a chronic inability to process certain kinds of information. There's no name for this condition yet, since only very small number of cases has turned up.
    Well, I've known that my words have been twisted before, but rarely is there such a blatant misquote.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    Im sorry Brasscane...
    I was just kiddin', except for the happy part, which I feel confident is just wasted funds.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

The cheap ones can have poorly finished metal that can cut the heck out of your hands if you're not careful. After experiencing this myself with a recent Chinese import, I don't even want to try such horns anymore. The cheap ones, that is.

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mascio View Post
    i have probably made many listeners sick over the years, but so far i am ok. i am not fond of death, so i have decided to put it off until the very end.
    Drat; beat me to it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast