Antigua Winds
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Melody csax's Avatar
    Dorset, UK - via Cornwall and the civilised World...

Default Re: The Grassi "Wonderful" model

Just like to add that, at the weekend, I had the chance of a blow on Beeflats Grassi 'Wonderful' alto (along with some more of his horns) and it really lives up to it's name... Way back in the 70's I passed on a Grassi tenor, simply because I looked at it in a Bristol shop and thought "Nah, just an Italian MkVI copy..." Went for a clattery Conn tenor instead - silly old me !

Used a Jody Jazz HR*9M and 2.5 RR on the Grassi Wonderful alto - she was a gently tactile old lady, with a flexible range of sounds, thanks Beeflat - and Milandro of course, for letting it go... What amazed me most about it was that you could just forget the sax, and just get on with playing, felt so natural - and had a really beefy sound !
    csax.net website ------ csax on twitter ------ csax on facebook
    Martin, Kohlert & King C tenors / Martin Bb tenor /SG Orpheo alto / Aquilasax C sop & Mirage curvie Bb sop - Lawton, Berg, Couf, Jody Jazz, Meyer mpcs. RR/LaVoz reeds.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I knew I should have kept it !

Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Melody csax's Avatar
    Dorset, UK - via Cornwall and the civilised World...

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    I knew I should have kept it !
    Don't we all feel that about most horns that have passed thro' our hands ? But then we pick up the sax we like playing best now, and that regret (almost) goes away...

We all have too many horns anyway !!
    csax.net website ------ csax on twitter ------ csax on facebook
    Martin, Kohlert & King C tenors / Martin Bb tenor /SG Orpheo alto / Aquilasax C sop & Mirage curvie Bb sop - Lawton, Berg, Couf, Jody Jazz, Meyer mpcs. RR/LaVoz reeds.

yes, and frankly speaking I don’t play alto all that much and I have two great taiwanese horns (plus a few other ones for sale which include two Mark VI and a Keiwerth Toneking New King).

But seriously I like very much to know that I have been instrumental to someone’s little happiness

Distinguished SOTW Member Captain Beeflat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cmelodysax View Post
    Just like to add that, at the weekend, I had the chance of a blow on Beeflats Grassi 'Wonderful' alto (along with some more of his horns) and it really lives up to it's name... Way back in the 70's I passed on a Grassi tenor, simply because I looked at it in a Bristol shop and thought "Nah, just an Italian MkVI copy..." Went for a clattery Conn tenor instead - silly old me !

Used a Jody Jazz HR*9M and 2.5 RR on the Grassi Wonderful alto - she was a gently tactile old lady, with a flexible range of sounds, thanks Beeflat - and Milandro of course, for letting it go... What amazed me most about it was that you could just forget the sax, and just get on with playing, felt so natural - and had a really beefy sound !
    Just to add that cmelodysax's skill, on a new-to-him horn was most impressive....pro level.
    We are always being told that it is the player, not the horn....but the horn certainly helps.
    Experience is an excellent school....but the fees are high.

But seriously I like very much to know that I have been instrumental to someone’s little happiness
    Ah well, I know another happy Grassi owner

( though it doesn't have that slick "Martin" action ... but nothing does )
    Grassi low A bari (1976) Meyer 9M / Martin "The Martin" tenor (1951), OL vintage Tone Edge #7
    Martin "Indiana" alto (1954), Meyer 6M / Buffet Crampon "Continentale" Bb clarinet (1972), Vandoren V360

always nice to hear from happy customers Johan

not long ago I discovered that Grassi had also a flute called Wonderful Model

not long ago I discovered that Grassi had also a flute called Wonderful Model
    Without doubt you are correct....but it is still an awfully naff name. Being Italian, with such a musical language, surely "Belissimo" would be more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Beeflat View Post
    Without doubt you are correct....but it is still an awfully naff name. Being Italian, with such a musical language, surely "Belissimo" would be more appealing.
    but, possibly a little tacky.........

but, possibly a little tacky.........
    I believe this to be a nationalistic concept Andre.
    Our own language sounds ordinary, whereas, to an Englishman, Italian in particular, sounds glamourous.
    I remember discussing this with an Italian chum some years ago. "Proper" racing drivers, to my mind, had names such as Lorenzo Bandini & Tazio Nuvolari. He by contrast thought that Jim Clarke had an exciting name...a name I considered to be mundane in the extreme.

actually, “Bellissimo " or even worse "Bellissima “ (because this is what they think the average Italian cocky male says when he sees a girl passing by........) is one of the most common words used by the non Italian speaking population of the world when trying to make fun of the Italians and having been subject to it for years and years I have personally grown a little fed up with it (always uttered with an exaggerated singing so-called Italian accent, which, by the way, I don’t have in any foreign language that I speak!).

I’d much rather use Meraviglioso as translation of Wonderful.......... .

I see what you mean....live and learn.
    Meraviglioso is a splendid alternative.
    No-one here makes fun of the Italian accent...in fact, when Valentino Rossi pronounces Bridgestone (tyres) as Brig-iss-townay, we find it rather delightful.

cheers , having been on the receiving hand on a lot of these banal stereotypical depictions of “ the Italian” (which found their glorification in the figure of our , fortunately, ex-prime minister! ) I have perhaps grown a little excessively weary when it comes to these words

cheers , having been on the receiving hand on a lot of these banal stereotypical depictions of “ the Italian” (which found their glorification in the figure of our , fortunately, ex-prime minister! ) I have perhaps grown a little excessively weary when it comes to these words
    milandro.
    If a gentle, good natured ribbing of the Italian accent is the only ammunition levelled at your History, Art, Architecture, Music, Opera, Wine, Cuisine, Strumenti Musicali, Design, Motor cars & Motorcycles, then you have won game, set, and match.

Most Generous our you! I think you must agree with Orson Welles about Italy .....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567