Sax on the Web Forum banner

The Grassi "Wonderful" model

31K views 135 replies 14 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
Some weeks ago, I bought Milandro's Grassi "Wonderful" alto.
It is just that....simply wonderful; probably the best horn that I have ever played....effortless, & so comfortable to play with the rectangular keyboard style pearl touches. A super, chunky, & colourful sounding horn. For years I had a Selmer BA alto but that did not impress me to the same degree.
As a tenor player I have been weaned to the alto; I have played it continually since I received it.
Does anyone know the history of this model & is the tenor variant equally good? If so, I would gladly swap my Professional 2000 for one.
Shame about the naff name....perhaps "Meraviglioso" would have been more appropriate.

#102 ·
Re: The Grassi "Wonderful" model.

Hi Captain :)
I've recently bought a Grassi Tenor which I believe is the wonderful model from c1974/75. It has nickel/silver plated keywork which stops at high f - no top f sharp.
I'm getting to really like it; I was trying it up against a Grassi Model 2000 Professional, a Selmer Sa80ii, a Mauriat, and a Yahama 475. I believe it held it's own in that company (beat the yamaha on sound easily) - and that's from me as a self confessed SA80ii fan for both tenor and alto. It needs a bit of work but I'm on to that. Just need to sort my mouthpiece and chops out now!

#107 ·

Congrats :)

But is that a "Wonderful" model, or a "Professional"? I'd love to see some pictures of the left pink cluster ... anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
Well - I'm not sure to be honest - I thought the professional models were later - I think this ones 1970s... but am not certain

here's one of the left hand cluster - a bit out of focus... what do you think?

#111 ·

Well... the mystery deepens! Neither "wonderful" nor "professional" written on it.:)
That's what I thought, given the layout of the rods. Don't despair ... if your sax is in good playing conditions (no leaks and such), you found yourself a fine instrument :)

In what range is the serial number of your Grassi?

Edit: the Captain beat me to it ... I agree with him :)

#112 ·

FYI, as far as I know (and that is not much, to be honest), the main difference between the Professional and the unmarked Grassi's of that period, is the "Professional" inscription.

The key layout, bore design, and brass quality are the same for both models. The Wonderful has copied the Selmer balanced action, while the non-Wonderful 70's saxes (Professional and unmarked) have the more old-fashioned key layout. And of course, the Wonderful has a slightly different bell to body brace.

#114 ·

FYI, as far as I know (and that is not much, to be honest), the main difference between the Professional and the unmarked Grassi's of that period, is the "Professional" inscription.

The key layout, bore design, and brass quality are the same for both models. The Wonderful has copied the Selmer balanced action, while the non-Wonderful 70's saxes (Professional and unmarked) have the more old-fashioned key layout. And of course, the Wonderful has a slightly different bell to body brace.
My experience too.
The "Professional 2000" tenor looks like, feels like, plays like, and sounds like the Selmer Mk 6.....I really wish that mine had the large rectangular keys of my "Wonderful" alto, the action of which feels like butter soaked in olive oil.

#115 ·

Thanks for the info and replies :)
From what information I have gleaned it seems to have the balanced action type key work with (relatively) modern left pinky cluster.
However the main thing is the sound which in my opinion was comparable (different but comparable, if that makes sense) to a Sa80ii (which is a sound I like) and slightly better to my ear than a newer Grassi which was a Professional Model 2000.

Ps serial number is 289xx

#116 ·

Thanks for the info and replies :)
From what information I have gleaned it seems to have the balanced action type key work with (relatively) modern left pinky cluster.
In that case, please post a clearer picture. To my eye, it looks like the traditional keywork, which was used before the Wonderful and Professional 2000 models.

This is the non-balanced left pink cluster:

#121 ·
Just like to add that, at the weekend, I had the chance of a blow on Beeflats Grassi 'Wonderful' alto (along with some more of his horns) and it really lives up to it's name... Way back in the 70's I passed on a Grassi tenor, simply because I looked at it in a Bristol shop and thought "Nah, just an Italian MkVI copy..." Went for a clattery Conn tenor instead - silly old me !

Used a Jody Jazz HR*9M and 2.5 RR on the Grassi Wonderful alto - she was a gently tactile old lady, with a flexible range of sounds, thanks Beeflat - and Milandro of course, for letting it go... What amazed me most about it was that you could just forget the sax, and just get on with playing, felt so natural - and had a really beefy sound !

#123 ·
Don't we all feel that about most horns that have passed thro' our hands ? But then we pick up the sax we like playing best now, and that regret (almost) goes away... :bluewink:

We all have too many horns anyway :lick: !!

#124 ·
yes, and frankly speaking I don’t play alto all that much and I have two great taiwanese horns (plus a few other ones for sale which include two Mark VI and a Keiwerth Toneking New King).

But seriously I like very much to know that I have been instrumental to someone’s little happiness :)

#132 ·
:faceinpalm:[rolleyes] actually, "Bellissimo " or even worse "Bellissima " (because this is what they think the average Italian cocky male says when he sees a girl passing by........) is one of the most common words used by the non Italian speaking population of the world when trying to make fun of the Italians and having been subject to it for years and years I have personally grown a little fed up with it (always uttered with an exaggerated singing so-called Italian accent, which, by the way, I don't have in any foreign language that I speak!).

I'd much rather use Meraviglioso as translation of Wonderful.......... .

#133 ·
I see what you mean....live and learn.
Meraviglioso is a splendid alternative.
No-one here makes fun of the Italian accent...in fact, when Valentino Rossi pronounces Bridgestone (tyres) as Brig-iss-townay, we find it rather delightful. :bluewink:

#134 ·
cheers :), having been on the receiving hand on a lot of these banal stereotypical depictions of “ the Italian” (which found their glorification in the figure of our , fortunately, ex-prime minister! ) I have perhaps grown a little excessively weary when it comes to these words :bluewink:

#135 ·
cheers :), having been on the receiving hand on a lot of these banal stereotypical depictions of " the Italian" (which found their glorification in the figure of our , fortunately, ex-prime minister! ) I have perhaps grown a little excessively weary when it comes to these words :bluewink:
milandro.
If a gentle, good natured ribbing of the Italian accent is the only ammunition levelled at your History, Art, Architecture, Music, Opera, Wine, Cuisine, Strumenti Musicali, Design, Motor cars & Motorcycles, then you have won game, set, and match. :bluewink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.