Sax on the Web Forum banner

Quality Alto Sax for Beginner

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  edwin 
#1 ·
Hey sax-people, i'm new in the forum so sorry if there's a similar post to this, cause i haven't explored the whole site yet.
I'm new in sax-world and i'm thinking of starting with an Alto Sax.
So I'd be thankful if anyone experienced of you could suggest me a quality sax for beginner. Note that i want to buy a quality sax for first (not a professional one of course), note a piece of metal with keys!! and i'm able to spend up to 600 euros or something.
(i'd prefer the sax to be black, but i don't think it does really matter!)

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Dittio on renting first. But if you DO decide to get your own horn, I'd suggest a Kessler Custom Standard. I got one a few months ago for $699. Its an awesome horn and Kessler adjusts and tunes each of it horns before they send them out at no extra charge. You'll find loads of positive reviews for these horns on this forum. Its the best value for you money IMHO. Just click on the "Kessler" link in the top banner of this site.
tim

#6 ·
@ piwikiwi:
i don't even think about renting. I'm a quite weird person in this subject. I don't want to play music with someone else's property. :)
Plus, I'm a beginner but i know some things. I'm not totally amateur. I had a trial with a Trevor James Alphasax.
thanks for the suggestion though. :)

#7 ·
Since you're in Europe you may want to consider one of the Bauhaus Walstein altos - see http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/yanagisawa_alto_saxophone_selmerparis_alto_saxophone.html for details. Don't know the pounds to euros calculation but it looks like at least one of them will be within your range.

Piwikiwi has a point of course - you may pick up the sax and find it is not really for you. In that case renting would probably be cheaper than buying and selling at a loss, depending on how much your local rental suppliers charge and how much you would have spent otherwise. And if you do find that you like it, having some playing time behind you may help you in play testing and choosing a sax which suits you if you then go on to buy. Probably best to avoid "rent to own" options though - they mostly seem like poor value for money. If you go down that route, maybe rent for 3 months at the best price you can get for a sax in reasonable condition, then decide whether and what to buy.

Mind you .... here's another UK based option: Altone. No personal experience but here is a review by a highly respected sax guru: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/altone_alto.htm GBP 189 is well within your price range and may even be competitive with a few months' rental.

Depending on where you are there may be better local options of course. It seems there are some brilliant music stores in the Netherlands, for instance.

Good luck! hope it works out for you.

Cheers,
Edwin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.